Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 09/21/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I was just looking for a little advice. I've been thinking of upgrading my skimmer the last couple of weeks. I was looking a either the RS80 or RS100. Which would be a better choice for my setup? 90g w/20g sump, 140lbs or so live rock, one large sebae, 2 clowns, 1 foxface, 1 blue eyed tang, hammer coral, green star polyps, 12 or so mushrooms, and a ton of various zoo's.
Old 09/21/2007, 04:33 PM
TRC Leader

RS100. It is rated for 100g system, so that would be a good fit.
Old 09/21/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I use a RS135 on my 90 + 30 sump. works well. I felt the Rs100 was a cuttting it close.
Old 09/21/2007, 04:53 PM
RC Sponsor

MELEV,

LOL!! Awesome!! I remember that!

-Jeff
Old 09/21/2007, 04:57 PM
TRC Leader

You have to make that a sticky in the Complaints thread.
Old 09/21/2007, 05:35 PM
Wife and dog.

scott- you can always go bigger, especially if you have some extra room and ever think you will upgrade, which most of us do!! I have a 90 and had a 30 gallon sump, so I bought a ER RS180. I am glad I did since I added a 100 gallon sump and want to make it into a prop tank and then have a fuge connected as well. Just a thought.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/21/2007, 06:04 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Quote:
Originally posted by jdboy
I was just looking for a little advice. I've been thinking of upgrading my skimmer the last couple of weeks. I was looking a either the RS80 or RS100. Which would be a better choice for my setup? 90g w/20g sump, 140lbs or so live rock, one large sebae, 2 clowns, 1 foxface, 1 blue eyed tang, hammer coral, green star polyps, 12 or so mushrooms, and a ton of various zoo's.
i would go with the rs 135 if it was me. i just love the sedra 5000 pumps myself.
Old 09/21/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to all for the quick responses. The reasoning for looking at the 80 or 100 was that I had been reading that it's better to shoot for a skimmer that is closer to what you actually need than to go super size. Something about letting the skimmer run more consistent rather than the larger skimmer pulling everything out in a day or so then not really being utilized after that.
Old 09/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I would personally get the rs100 if you aren't planning on upgrading in the near future. I had trouble getting a good foam head on the rs100 in my 40 but it would probably be perfect for a 90. Also, the sedra3500 should be quieter than a larger pump I would assume. Anyways, I like the 100 and bet you would too. Having too large a skimmer is easily as frustrating as having too small a skimmer.
Old 09/21/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

I am also looking to upgrade my skimmer (Deltec MCE600) and had a few questions. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and there will be a heavy bioload (4 to 5) (5 to 7) inch agressive fish.

I was wondering if the RS135 is worth the extra $40 over the RS100 and if you think either of these would properly skim my tank?

How quiet are these skimmers?

Also do all of the RS series skimmers now come with the “Euro-Loc” quick disconnect union?

What do you think the performance differance would be over my current skimmer?
Thanks for your input.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:28 PM
Wife and dog.

Yes, you always go bigger, especially for only $40. The 135 will be a great selection. They are quite enough, it just depends how close you are and what it is enclosed in.

As a comparison I have no experience so I can't help there.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/22/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

I just decided to make a switch in skimmers from the AquaC EV-180 to a Euro Reef RC 135. I have everything setup and running for 24 hours but have not seen any skimmate as of yet. Air is wide open with the ball valve dialed back a bit. Is this pretty common for the Euro Reefs? The skimmer is running on a 120 moderately stocked. I made the switch due to constant tinkering with the AquaC hoping to have a more stable setup with the Euro Reef.

Heres a Pic.

Old 09/22/2007, 07:30 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Landon - It will take some time to gunk up and break in. couple days to a week

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/22/2007, 07:46 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Landon - It will take some time to gunk up and break in. couple days to a week

Lunchbucket
Yep, you need to wear off that "new plastic" smell.
Old 09/23/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Help!

My Euroreef rs135 which has a gate valve installed is "shutting down" - (bubbles start breaking about 5" below cup vs. normally I have it breaking about 1"-1.5" below the spillover into the cup) every once in a while through out the day and it seems to last for anywhere from 1-5 hours. I'm not sure why this is happening. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. I'm not adding anything new to the tank - and it has just recently started happening. Any reason why this is happening or how I can fix it?

Thanks.
Old 09/23/2007, 01:07 PM
TRC Leader

It could be the pump is possibly beginning to fail, since it isn't pushing in enough water and air. Or perhaps you have a vapor lock issue, such as placing a cap on the riser tube like I do. If it seals tight with salt creep, the water level drops in my skimmer as well.
Old 09/23/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Folks,

Looking for some advice on RS/RC models. I need an external skimmer for a 54g reef tank with a current (soon to change) low bio load. Tank will b mainly SPS corals. Are both models external? Which model would be best suited for me?

Thanks... I thought I had this figured out, but not sure now....
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
250w 10K Ushio with T5 Actinic
2 Tunze 6025's 1 Tunze 6045
Old 09/23/2007, 10:44 PM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

Rs models are in sump internal models. RC models stand for recirculating and are external skimmers. Honestly, I have never had a better skimmer than my external H&S skimmer. If I were you, I would go for an RC80 for your 54 gallon. Good luck in your purchase.

90g SPS Reef
our myReef is currently offline

Old 09/24/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Landon,

I'd consider covering up your skimmer with something to keep light out from the body, especially since its next to a strong light source. That'll prevent algae and stuff from growing inside it. Such a shame though, since it's definitely a beautiful piece of equipment!
Old 09/24/2007, 09:01 AM
out of work reefer...

anyone running a rc 750? I was looking at one for my next upgrade
Old 09/24/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I love my RS 180, but had to contact them due to my pump coming apart during setup. I had a little trouble getting through at first, but left them a voice message and received a call back within an hour. I think the # is 877 439 3856. Marine Depot was able to give me a local #, but I dont have it. You can call them and they can provide it.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I wouldnt waste my money on a RC model for such a small tank, the RS will be fine.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

All,

I am currently in the planning stages for my next tank. I currently have a 72 gal reef and will be looking to upgrade to a 180 gal tank with a 55 gal sump. I currently have a RS135 and would like to continue using this skimmer on my next tank. I realize that this skimmer is not big enough for a 180, especially since I do like to stock my tank pretty heavily. Would you think I could use my RS135 in tandem with a RS180 and still be able to keep my tank properly skimmed? I would go with the RS250 and run it in tandem with my RS135 but the hieght of the RS250 is a bit of a concern for me, as the stands I have seen and really liked cannot accomodate its hieght.

Thanks.

-Alonzo
Old 09/25/2007, 12:25 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

Hello all, just an update - thanks to all those who helped, skimmer seems to be ok now. Two things I did to make it work:

1) Adjusted the outflow so that it wasn't below the water line

2) cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned the air tubing.

I think the real problem was the tubing clogged with salt creep. I ran some microwaved RODI water through the tubes. HAd to do it several times and may do it once more. Each time the water level in the skimmer dropped. Man, it must have been bad. Eventually I was heating a quart or two of RODI water and letting the tubes suck it through.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 09/25/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by euroreef
To all,

In light of recent posts in this thread, we feel it is important to make an official statement regarding the GEN-X pumps we use and the current product developments that concern those pumps. We will make this statement in a new stickied post in our forum as soon as possible.

Please refer to our forum for further information.

Sincerely,

Jeff Macare
Euro-Reef, Inc.
Jeff,

I apologize for making such comments. My intent was not to relay "ER's warranty claims" to other forum members. Rather, I was relaying what ER was going to do for me in my situation.

At any rate, any updates on the official statement you were going to post in your forum? I'm curious.