Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp

Old 01/10/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Mantis for a glass tank

I have a 24 gallon nano that I have been just befuddled on what to do with it, until i discovered the amazing-ness of mantis shrimp!

So I want to convert it to a mantis tank, the only problem is....that it is a glass nano and i am dying to keep a peacock......

Ive heard the rumors about them being able to break glass and want to know the likeliness and how relative it is to their size.

My plan was to put in a small peacock with acrylic on the bottom, since i have heard that most cases of broken aquariums comes from them burrowing and thinking they have run into a rock. So putting a small one in and letting him feel his boundaries while he is still small and just hoping he never goes for it.

That is Plan A, Plan B is I know a guy at my LFS who is selling a peacock that lost both of his knockers (sorry i don't know the technical term) so he wouldn't be able to eat live and likewise not be able to cause any damage. Although i have heard they will grow back over a couple months ive heard he isn't very aggressive and hopefully by a couple months he will know the boundaries.

Plan C is to just break my lil heart and try and find love in a mantis that will be safe in a glass aquarium.

What do you guys think, plan A, B, or C?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Many people keep peacocks in glass tanks sucessfully. The only person on RC I know of that has witnessed a tank smash is Dr. Roy, and he studies them for a living so yeah...Put down the acrylic bottom, put a few inches of sand on top, and don't tease the mantis and you should be fine. Also you can keep corals with peacocks, but make sure to keep the light PC and under as light is a major contributor to shell disease (you didn't ask, just sayin in case you hadn't come across that bit of info )

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/10/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Well thats a great first reply! Like i said I'm hoping to get green lights, I really really want a peacock!!

I would still love to hear from anyone/everyone else though, I would hate to come home to a shattered tank and massive electrical problem!

Oh and thank you for the advice about the lights!
The stock lights are going to stay on it, no halides or anything tricky.
And as far as corals I am putting some "tough" corals in star polyps, a leather and zoo's that will all be glued down.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

i've got a 5 in peacock in a 24g nano and so far no problems (i've only had him a few weeks) he even accidentally hit the glass once trying to kill a goldfish and nothing happened, that really help ease my nerves because i was freaking out about the same thing too. but you have to remember that the chances of your peacock actually hitting the glass and breaking it is very very rare and also they're smart creatures they don't just go crazy and decide to club everything in site. mine would a very large piece of live rock i have in the tank and when he realized it wasn't going to break he gave up or figured something else out, he didn't just waste all his energy on it.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Good!

Okay I'm feeling much much better, I think I'm gonna go for it.
I can't wait to get the lil guy, doing the reading and learning about these creatures its bizzare that they are labeled as 'pests' at all.

They really are amazing.
So excited!
Old 01/11/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

when i first got my peacock mantis i tapped on the glass front and he came out and whacked where i was tapping. i thought it was going to break but it didnt. that was the last time i tapped on the tank. lol