Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society (SCMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 07:04 PM
Boomer gave me this

2007 frag swap feedback thread

We'll be adding plenty more vendors and raffle items next year.
We had a ton of raffle items I think! We had 3 raffles each an hour apart and each must have had close to 8 or 10 winners!

We are no MACNA but I think for a 1st time event I got some good stuff!

Next year I am going to divide up the tasks amongst the rest of the board to spread out the load, hopefully that will allow us to double the coral vendors, maybe a couple more dry goods type vendors and I may cutout the speakers depending on the feedback I get from that.

Did everyone like going downstairs to listen to "presentations" or should we keep it "all vendors" and more of a frag swap only?
What did you like and dislike?
I am open to all critisism here, this is the first "event" I have ever planned and it will only help out the event to tell me how you all feel

Thanks
Chris
Old 10/22/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I enjoyed the 1 presentation I heard from Kris Wray but there was way too much talking/noise going on. I thought it was kind of rude to him as he was trying to present us with knowledge. I am all for the presentations but I think they should be separate from the buying/selling or have the B/S put on hold during the Pres.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Overall, I enjoyed it. I agree with murfman on the presentation. I was hoping for a better selection of frags. I enjoyed meeting Kris from Reefer Madness and was hoping he would of brought more frags to sell, although I did score a nice acro from him.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:43 AM
Boomer gave me this

yeah I too was disappointed in the amount he brought, he said he will do things differently next year.
I didn't like how everyone made a ton of noise and ignored his presentation either, I noticed the same thing happening at Reef-a-palooza also with their speakers. My meeting at my house was the same way when i was talking about macna and the georgia aquarium, you can't hold people's attention for more than a couple minutes when a lot of people get together.
That's kind of why i think it should be just a coral sale with no presentations.
I guess it depends on where we hold it next year and how much room we can get
Old 10/23/2007, 01:18 AM
is sooing spill chekur

I loved the presentations, especially reefnutritions. I tried to listen to reefer madness' presentation but I just couldn't hear. I would probably move all the speakers away from the swap, like you did for the last 2. I would also give everybody selling stuff nametags, so that you could know who the people that you are trying to buy stuff from are. Overall, the whole swap was INCREDIBLE

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 10/23/2007, 09:32 AM
Boomer gave me this

Thank's Caleb, I think with all the people it would be hard even with nametags. We need to think of a better way for next year.
We may have to setup the tanks along a wall so the seller stands behind his/her corals and also has a nametag.
I thought with the tanks arranged they way they were, more people could view the frags thats way.
I have been to sales where you knew who sold the coral, but it was 3 people deep trying to get in there and see the coral and I ended up moving along cause I could not get in to see anyones stuff.
We'll think of a better solution I think, it could mean building 2 more tanks and spreading it out a bit more with a larger building.

Chris
Old 10/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

It was just mega-sweet! Thank you so much SCMAS !
Old 10/23/2007, 03:08 PM
RMRC President

Name tags for everyone!

I know there were tons of people from all over Colorado at the swap, so there were a lot of people who I may have "met" on the boards but never in person. I am a visual person, so seeing the name and screen name together with the face really helps versus a verbal introduction. Maybe that is why I am the name tag enforcer of RMRC!

I really liked the Reef Nutrition presentation (will probably try to get Randy to an RMRC event!). But the logistics and flow of trying to do speakers at the swap is difficult. We did a presentation at our Spring swap and this time we are not. The November swap will be a selling/trading event and then we will have more speakers at the February conferrence.

Overall, the food, frags and fellowship were awesome. It was a very well run event, especially for a rookie! The frag tanks were a great idea.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:27 PM
It All Depends

Keep the presentations, but have them right after a raffle and in their own area where we can enjoy them more. Downstairs was nice, in the area where the frags were was not so nice.

Some of the frag areas were so loaded with people, that I had a hard time getting a good look. Another frag tank would help spread out the love, and I am sure with how well this year went, that another tank could easily get frags.

We lucked out with the weather that day, if it was just 24 hours later, the snow would of made that pretty hard to do. Earlier in the year would be something to consider.

That was a a great swap, and I can see it outgrowing someones house pretty easily. I have no ideas where else it could be right now, but there has to be something out there that can be used for half a day at a good price.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

I have one more comment/question. Who built the frag tanks? They looked very nice. What does one charge to build one half that size?
Old 10/23/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Contact calvin415
Old 10/25/2007, 10:59 AM
DIY Guru

Thanks Haj,

Sorry hawkfish, just saw the post. I built the tanks, PM me if you're interested in a custom one...

Member of the 1000 watt bulb club
Old 10/27/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

swap was great for sure, a lot of work.... I agree with splitting tasks chris, and definately feel free to delegate some of those to members who volunteer, I had no problem helping out and wish I coulda done more, a little more pre-organization and I think we'll be set.

As far as speakers, I wish I would have had more time and less distraction for both presentations, lack of space caused a problem (but then again we did great with what we had, and didnt expect such a turnout!) and I think that was the major bit. Perhaps scheduling presentations twice and doing a pre and post deal might be good... doors open at 8, presentations till 9:30 then swap opens for sale, secondary presentations around 4:00 as things wind down? not sure how we'd do that. If we plan around a venue it's possible to give each of the speaking vendors their own booth. Perhaps for people like Chris Wray we can build a smaller frag tank (or use a 40 breeder or something) for him to keep at the booth so he can sell frags but still maintain his reefer maddness presentation through the whole deal.

Not sure how I'd chop that one....
Old 10/27/2007, 09:44 AM
Boomer gave me this

You are thinking Joe thats good
On a side note I have been trying to think of a place to have the event. Something around 2K sq. ft. but cheap
Anyone got any ideas? a large clubhouse somewhere that doesn't mind us bringing in several hundred gallons of saltwater!
C
Old 10/27/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Think churches Chris - they're usually VERY reasonable, though I'm not sure how they would feel with all the water (unless they stick us in the basement?). You guys are more familiar with whats up there than I am, but I know we have a hall down here that runs about $350 for 4-6 hours (unless it went up drastically since the last time). Another consideration would be the veterans and their halls (including DAV).
Old 10/27/2007, 10:03 PM
WOW, look at this one!

I agree that any presentations need to be separated from the frag swap area.

Another consideration for possible locations is the power requirements. Most Churches may not be able to handle the power load required to run such an event.

I do agree that a non home location needs to happen for next year. I think Eric mentioned that the dealership that provided the cars for the swap may offer their repair bays for next years swap. With all the power tools and equipment they run and fluid spills they deal with I can't imagine there would be a problem with a location like that.

I'm sure with a years notice that we'll be able to hook up an appropriate location.

And remember you can always lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
Old 10/27/2007, 11:01 PM
Boomer gave me this

I have thought about churches, I feel wierd going to an event at a church but maybe it's just me.
As a board we are going to have to decide everything about this swap, we'll all have to pick which aspect of the swap we each want to manage and so the person in charge of the facility will ultimately have to find and decide where to have it I suppose.
Like you said with having almost a year to plan that will really help and I'm sure something good will pop up.
C
Old 10/28/2007, 02:58 AM
Registered Member

I'll try and work over some of my warehouse owning customers... he he

Another option may be to see if I cant weasel some space from the sun spot atlantis down there off austin bluffs, it is in fact a tanning salon so electricity isnt problem for sure! They might jump on the ability to get the name out a touch as well.

Bonus there is that it's all themed like a submarine and deep sea, already fits! I'll talk to ric on monday and see how he feels about it. We'd be slightly space strapped as far as one large open venue but theres open area at the front and back of store which might do perfectly, set the frag tanks up near the back and use the front for presentations? dunno, I'd have to look at the layout and ponder this one.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:37 PM
Live like you mean it...

How about a school gym? I'm pretty sure they rent those out to the public. And, we may get a discount if we work it like a educational venue open to the students and staff. We could let young Caleb broker the deal, maybe.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:19 AM
is sooing spill chekur

That's a good idea about a school gym cliff. Even though I'm homeschooled I could probably get Pine Creek to let us use their gym. It's pretty big, definately big enough for the swap.

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 10/31/2007, 10:58 AM
DIY Guru

Well need some mops for clean up, and for safety... Gym floors are super slick when wet!

Member of the 1000 watt bulb club
Old 10/31/2007, 05:02 PM
Boomer gave me this

That is a good idea Cliff. They should have enough power, and the space is big.
Hmmm I wonder if they do let people use the gyms, I have never heard of something happening at a school gym (besides school functions) depends on the time of year I suppose.
We'll have to look into it and see what they say.

I suppose with any of these places they may want us to carry liability insurance.
We may have to try for a hotel or even do it a little earlier in the year and have a large tent put up outside somewhere.
It's a tricky issue these days with liability and all.

Chris
Old 10/31/2007, 05:29 PM
is sooing spill chekur

Another venue to look at is churches. They have big spaces alot of times, and are pretty nice about that kind of thing.

Old 11/01/2007, 11:17 PM
Live like you mean it...

We could have artifical turf in and around the area of the tanks to try to centralize the spills. For liability insurance, I could set the whole thing up in my company name. I have 3 million in liability insurance. If something happens, we could always hide the bodies
Old 11/02/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

he he only 3 mil cliff?

damn the costs of our businesses are too high, insurance I tell ya it's a killer