Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/16/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

red sea max

Hello everyone,

I just got the RSM and it is very nice except for the fact that they lighting is not the brightest.

I heard a rumor that stated that they were going to come out with an upgrade lighting system.

At the present moment it has 2 55 watt Power Compacts.

I am down grading from a 120 gallon reef with 2 250 HQI.

Does anyone here have any experince with this system?

How is the skimmer after it has broken in?
Does the system have any problems?

filtration issues?
Can i retro fit one 150 HQI?

thanks for all the advice in advance.
Old 04/16/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

flow

I was also thinking that i needed more flow.

what do y ou guys think about the new

tunze 60 45 for this 34 gallon RSM?

To much flow?

thanks
Old 04/16/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

i thought they came with t5 lighting but i cant remember.

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
-Ron Burgundy-
Old 04/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

they state that they come with T 5 but they really come with two PC's.

Does anyone here have an opinion on this set up?

thanks
Old 04/17/2007, 11:30 AM
------------

I don't think too many people have the RSM's yet.

Can you throw one of your 250's over that?
Old 04/17/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

the 250 doesnt fit.
Old 04/17/2007, 11:34 AM
------------

Ah I see. What are its dimensions (under the hood)? I've been looking around for my own compact lighting system these days.
Old 04/17/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

I have read that is is T5 lighting with bulbs that look like PC bulbs. I will try to find the thread.
Old 04/17/2007, 08:19 PM
Frag-a-holic

They are PC lights with a smaller diamater. Each tube is 5/8" vice 3/4" for a normal PC bulb. The T#s indicate 1/8" per number. T-5 is 5/8". T-8 would be a 1" bulb. Hope this helps. The tanks look nice, but I wouldn't spend the money. Just my opinion.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 04/18/2007, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Take a look here.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...=110318&st=100

Secondbreath had a 150 HQI installed with 18 watt actinics.
Old 04/18/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

I've had the RSM up and running over three weeks now and I'm pretty happy with it. From the outside looking in you can't beat the tanks appearance when it comes to a 30G tank.

The skimmer took about two weeks before it stopped producing micro-bubbles in the display, that was a bit annoying. All good now. The skimmer seems to be working hard producing lots of skimmate.

The fans are a bit noisy but the new units have quiter fans and Red Sea has sent me the upgrade already, just one email to their support office in Houston and the package arrived two days later no charge.

My last concern, or I should say thought, is that I may add an additional powerhead for more flow. Not needed yet, but maybe down the road.....
Old 04/18/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Check with www.nanotuners.com for the lighting set-up you want. A couple weeks ago I talked to him about the lighting on the RSM and he said they would be coming out with an upgrade.

The only problem he stated is that it would almost cost as much as the tank.
Old 04/18/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

irie

irie,

the micro bubbles are driving me crazy.

i have to upgrade the fans myself. not to loud but annoying.

i am going to look into upgrading the lights eventually and adding a tunze.

thanks
Old 04/19/2007, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

How many lbs of substrate are you all using? What did you go with (brand/type)? Do you wish it was more or less?

I'm setting mine up this weekend.

Jason
Old 04/19/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

i bag of live sand.

enjoy the tank it is awesme
Old 04/19/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Would that be a 20lb bag? If so, how deep is it?

Jason
Old 04/19/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Dude, Have a peek at cadlights.com first. You might like the 3 in 1 tanks that they have with all the goodies allready on......
Old 04/21/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

To those that say the Red Sea Max is pricey -- if you bought the components separately instead of getting an all-in-one tank, do you think you'd come out ahead? I'm considering my first SW tank purchase, and the RSM is one of the top contenders at present, but I'm still reading & reading. I don't want to have to do a ton of mods, and I want a system that's aesthetically pleasing (the wife will go nuts if there are tubes & cords all over the place!).

Jim
Old 04/28/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I have been looking at the RSM also. I would like to go large but the start up money for a 90 gallon tank is a little steep. Some of the picture in the above posts look fantastic. This might just be the way to get my feet wet. If I do up grade you can sell or keep it as a secondary tank. Any word on a lighting upgrade for the RSM. I would like to boost the WPG a little higher.
Old 04/29/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

RSM

the issue is lighting.

the tank will make your wife happy due to the simplicity and the look.

i am enjoying it alot.

what fish does everyone have in the tank at the present moment.
Old 04/30/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy

Whatever you do don't get a Yellow-headed sleeper goby for this tank or similar size. My sand was getting lots of green / brown patches and I wanted to keep that white sand look.

My LFS said he'd be perfect for this......ever since then my tank has been a debris storm. Great looking fish and fun to watch but when he starts tearing through my sand bed I'm amazed at how quickly he makes a debris storm....FYI
Old 05/03/2007, 06:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi. I've had the RSM about 3 weeks now, with the supplied aragonite substrate and 50 lbs. of fully cured live rock. The only problem I've had is getting the skimmer tuned properly, once I had something to skim. But, I played with that and finally have it skimming properly (knock on wood). On the microbubbles, that's a common problem - in my case, and probably most cases, related to the skimmer. I got rid of them by cutting the black sponge in the skimmer down to 3" (came at 4"), and frequently cleaning and/or replacing the white filter pad that they have you put on top of the black sponge. IMO the microbubbles are related to getting enough water flow through the skimmer. The bubbles drove me crazy but I finally got it all resolved. Some have removed the white pad altogether but I've been afraid that doing that will just result in the black sponge will just getting clogged up.

Yes - the hood fan is a bit noisy. I think I'll take Irie Mon's advice and try contacting RSM support in Houston to see if they'll send me a free upgrade also.

I've heard from another RSM user that Red Sea now has an additional fan available that will go in that unused round port in the back of the hood - to help cool the tank down further in the summer. I'm still waiting to hear back from him if that's true or not.

Overall I love the tank and the size, and the wife likes it too. I got the combo cabinet and tank at a lower price online than most of the outfits selling it. But heaven forbid if the wife ever finds out how much money I've put into the tank & everything else! I justified it to myself as keeping my mind active and postponing Alzheimers.
Old 05/06/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

The really nice thing about the RSM is the internal power strip and power cord management along with the built in lighting timer. Easy access switches for skimmer, heater, pumps, etc. and only one single power cord to plug in the wall.

Very well thought out, nicely designed.

And the 110 watts of lighting is plenty for my setup.
Old 05/07/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

I'm down sizing to the red sea max, nice tank, running about a week now. had micro bubbles for a few days but no more nice and clear. I have a copperband in my big tank i would like to hang on to and put in the red sea. Do you think it's too small to keep a copperband?