Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

best tank for the buck???

Just wanding what would be the best tank for the dollar. Im looking for something in the 12-14g range. Something that i can eventually mod to MH. My plans are to get the tank running and as my last piece upgrade to MH and add a clam. I want something that can hold 2-3 small fish. six line, maybe a clown, and possibly a goby. A few crabs maybe a pom pom. and a load of zoas and shrooms, corals and such. I want something that is easy to mod. Maybe a fuge light a skimmer. Not to sure what else. Can anyone help me decide what to get. I know that my LPS is offering Oceanic bio cubes for
8g??? for around 120
14g for around 160
and 24g for around 220

no stand but how do these tanks compair to jbj's nano cube which ones mod easier?

also which ones are the lest problymatic? Loud fans? Any major issues?

any help on the mods would be appricated.
Old 07/26/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Not sure about how bio cubes compare to jbj but I have a bc 29gal. I love it The stock hood is removed from mine and I am running 175w MH instead. I forget which skimmer I have, but no customization was needed - just hooked it up in the middle back chamber. I can check when I get home if you want. I don't have a fuge so not sure, but I think you could mod one of the back chambers to be one and have a clip on light? Also, I think the 8 or 14gal may be a little small for the 6line - not sure of their minimum requirements. Mine does fine in the 29gal. There's usually people selling used nano tanks on the forums or on craigslist. If you get the stand for manufacturer's stand for one of these, lemme know how it works. I have a custom stand - sorta bulky and ugly and an inefficient use of space, but it works =\
Old 07/26/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Dr Foster Smith as a sale going on right now at 89.99 for a 12g JBJ and 119.99 for the dx version.
Old 07/26/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I bought my tank from nanotuners.com, the 2007 Nanocustoms Nanocube 12DX - 3.24 Series (72w). I have a couple of gorgonias that are growing pretty well, a ric that's not doing so hot (I think it's actually getting TOO much light, it's slowly moving down the rock away from the light), as well as some green star polyps that were about dead when I bought them from the LFS and are now thriving.
It's a nice little tank, doesn't get too hot or anything. It's pretty loud with the fans, but that doesn't really bother me so it's ok.
It works well as long as you don't get any clams or crazy hard to take care of corals. The guys at nanotuners were pretty nice to work with, as well.
~Adam D.
Old 07/26/2007, 01:32 PM
Nano Reefer

If you want the sixline, I would go no lower than 20g. They can be very territorial, especially in small tanks. I had one in my 30g and once he was in the tank, I couldn't add anymore fish (especially docile ones) because I knew he would tear them to pieces.
Old 07/26/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

the 24g all the way I think especially if that is your only tank anything smaller would limit you too much not that 24g doesn't have its limitations as well!!
Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Midas Blenny
Abalone (got in by mistake but he can really clean a tank!!)
Old 07/26/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Go as big as you can afford. The JBJ is ok. Have no experience with the Oceanic. The fans on my JBJ will need to be changed soon. They are kind of loud and take way to long to spin up to speed. The hood is a little cheesy, I broke one of the plastic bars that hold the hood up the first day. The pump is junk but everyone wants more flow anyway. The moon lights are on the same plug as the main lights no you can't put a timer on it and have the moons on while mains are off (without mods). The hood is easily upgraded to MH though. Or toss the hood altogether and put on a clip-on.
Old 07/26/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

i know everyone likes the bigger companys like nano cube and aqua pod
but for the money and not haveing to do any mods the finnex 30gal glass is a great tank
c.a.d tanks are very nice also but cost more
Old 07/26/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I would have to go with finnex also. I really like the truvu nano series. I never have owned an all in one ( probably will never get one lol) If I do the ones I listed.

I am about to get a 25 gallon cube AGA and just add a viper to it.

"Am I gay for seeing a musical with two girls?" ~LOL hmmm ~

"A good kick in the nuts solves everything"
Old 07/27/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Take good look at cadlights.com they have some pretty cool stuff and a great rep.