Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Help green hair algee

its starting to take over my tank what do i do??????
Old 12/23/2007, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

Harvest what you can and reduce nutrients that it grows on. Reduce feeding amount (rinse food if frozen feed smaller portions more often). A sump with macro algae is a tremendous help for this as well as running carbon and phosban.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

Im using kent's phosphate remover and carbon.and i just got new bulbs thinking that was the problem.. still it just keeps growing ..so should try to remove all i can ???? what else can i try ??
Old 12/23/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Do you have a sump running? Chaeto does a great job of sucking up what the Green Hair Algae grows off of. Harvesting will be a big pain but it helps to export nutrients. One thing I did when my gha was growing like crazy was to leave one rock off to the side unharvested while picking everthing else as clean as possible. It got to be pretty unsightly after a while but it stopped spreading. As for the green fro rock It was much easier to grab a patch when everything was in one place. Eventually the algae pretty sucked up what was available for growth and got real easy to get rid of.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

rich,

Your GH problem is not an easy one to fix. GH shows up under many different conditions. My first suggestion would be to lower your nutrients, meaning, feed your tank less. Whatever the GH is growing on, you have a problem. I've taken rock out and scrubbed them under RO water. It's a pain, but helps.

You should really find out what is causing the problem. I know, your saying "I posted, so help". Well.... Check your water params. If they are out, then fix it. Remove as much GH as you can by hand. GH usually shows up because of too many nutrients. You need to find the root of the nutrients, then remove them.

Sorry, wish I could tell you what the exact problem is, but it really depends on your own system. Hope you have a really good skimmer, that helps. I'm curious, check your params and post.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:24 AM
Aquarium Addict

I hate Hair Algae!!
Old 12/23/2007, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

my LFS store had a tank with a bunch of hair algae and just threw a $3, freshwater sailfin molly in there. it ate it all within a couple days.. they didn't even acclimated it! its still going strong in that tank after a month. i'm sure you'd have to fix the problem if you don't want it to come back, but this might be a good way to get it out of the tank initially.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

It would help if you list more in your profile. But it would help to know.

Whats used for flow?
How old is the tank?
Amount of LR and LS?
Type of stock?
Water source?
Old 12/23/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

But i Pic is really great of the whl tank.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

I recently purchased a Lawnmower Blenny and was amazed at how much algae it ate of my live rock. One THING, that might help your situation.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:28 PM
Team RC Member

A refugium added to your system would get it in fairly short order. You have an excess of phosphate in your system. Tap water can cause it, expiring ro/di cylinder, dry fish food, etc.
Phosban cannot remove it as long as it is 'bound' in the algae. If something like an urchin or blenny eats and poos it, Phosban can get the broken-down phosphate. A refugium running 24/7 will take the phosphate released in your tank and you even get to sell the excess cheatomorpha algae you grow there. Rare you can sell a pest, but you can, in this case.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I too am having the same hair algae problem.... I just tested my water parameters last night and all tests were in the green.

Temp 78.2
SG 1.024
PH 8.2
Phosphate unmeasurable
Nitrate unmeasurable
dkh 9.6
calcium 420

For flow I have 1 Koralia 4, 1 1200 PH and a 700 gph return pump.

The tank was started Feb 07

I have 100+ lbs of Live rock and 50 lbs of LS

All the water I use is RO/DI

I only have three fish: Yellow tang, fake clown, and an unknown
some oddball damsel? And a few misc corals

I have done all of the previous.. Infact I add my fuge to aid in phos removal. In my fuge I have a ton of Chatoe that I must prune weekly. I run a HUGE diy skimmer that removes an unbelivable amout of skimate. I also added a phos reactor 2 months ago just to see if it would help....

Ihave been fighting this problem way too long and am getting very frustrated.... Any help would be GREAT!
Old 12/23/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

I can't add anything that you aren't already doing. All I can say is keep it up bro You'll beat it.
Old 12/24/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

thx for the help, ill get the refugium going right after christmas .... and a new skimmer
Old 12/24/2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

Temp 80.2
SG 1.025
PH 8.3
Phosphate (no tester)
Nitrate unmeasurable
dkh ??? my red sea tester says normal ???
calcium 380

my corrals seem happy, i do 20% changes about every 2-3 weeks..
add a lil kalkwallser every few days and a few drops of kents corral vite every 2 days.. i do only use ro water also from walmart....
Old 12/24/2007, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin_p
I too am having the same hair algae problem.... I just tested my water parameters last night and all tests were in the green.

Temp 78.2
SG 1.024
PH 8.2
Phosphate unmeasurable
Nitrate unmeasurable
dkh 9.6
calcium 420

For flow I have 1 Koralia 4, 1 1200 PH and a 700 gph return pump.

The tank was started Feb 07

I have 100+ lbs of Live rock and 50 lbs of LS

All the water I use is RO/DI

I only have three fish: Yellow tang, fake clown, and an unknown
some oddball damsel? And a few misc corals

I have done all of the previous.. Infact I add my fuge to aid in phos removal. In my fuge I have a ton of Chatoe that I must prune weekly. I run a HUGE diy skimmer that removes an unbelivable amout of skimate. I also added a phos reactor 2 months ago just to see if it would help....

Ihave been fighting this problem way too long and am getting very frustrated.... Any help would be GREAT!
Man i laid the whl thing out then RC ran backup and it was lost.
So all i will say this time is ,Your lacking flow big time. Please look here and if you want more info just run a thread " Am i lacking flow" or something to that. But if you want some info then save these links.GL.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=285&aid=243

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm