Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 05:56 PM
"Lurker"

Hermits: who likes them and who hates them, and why.

My lfs's carry a bunch of hermits and very few snails (even fewer useful ones). I have tried to stock my tank w/ only snails but they are running in short supply localy and I think I am going to have to turn to the hermits to get the job done. Right now I have 1 Trochus (had to rob him out of the reef display tank at the lfs), 2 Ceriths, and 3 Nassarius (to help clean up my feeding too much). So what's everyones' opinions/experiences w/ the different types of hermits? I figure if they start bothering corals I can remove them fairly easily. TIA.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:00 PM
Send money....

My hermits didn't bother corals really, (although I spotted some movement in my 10 gal the other night and it was my one and only blue leg in there doing a juggling act with a very small zoa frag as he looked it over for goodies) what they did was murder my snails, even though they had plenty of shells. I don't know if it was just hunger or what, but they would kill off my snails and didn't do much else for my tank. So, the 120 was destined to be hermit free....and still is.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Good thread. I'd also like to know what peoples' opinions are on the various hermits available. LOL on you robbing the trochus out of your lfs's tank.
-3x Maxijet 1200 Powerheads
-2x False Perculas
-1x Melanurus Wrasse
-1x Coral Beauty Angelfish
-1x Yellow Tang
-1x Red Firefish
-1x Purple Pin Cushion Urchin
-1x Leather Coral
Old 06/22/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

If you get hermits, get the Mexican Red Legs, Clibanarius sp. they are cheaper than the scarlet hermits and they won't kill snails. They are also much more active at all times. The scarlet ones will sometimes climb up in a coral and just seem to hibernate there for days. I have both in my tank but I recommend the mexican ones.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

i dont keep hermits because they eat snails and eat pods so i dont keep them because i like to keep all the pods for my mandrin
Old 06/22/2006, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

The only hermits left in my tank are the ones that I have not ever caught feasting on escargot. I think I have about one left. The rest are out in my yard somewhere...
Old 06/22/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

They are hellians, kill each other, will kill snails, and will steal food from corals, but they still do an amazing job of cleaning and maintance, which is why I use them, a small number though. Scarlets are the least aggressive, Electric Blue's the most aggressive, but the only true Indo-Pacific hermit availible in the trade, which is why I use them.
Old 06/22/2006, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I have some blues and some red legged variety. I think the blue ones ate alot more algae at first but lately they stopped eating the algae and started on a murderous rampage... I started with 20 and now there might be 8 left.. I find little blue legged bodies all over..
Old 06/22/2006, 07:52 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

I like them. I probably have 50 or so and they do a good job cleaning and eating leftovers. Yes, they kill snails once in a while, but it is worth it to me. They are much more interesting to watch than the snails.

Crystal
Old 06/22/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member.

I have about 50 of them, and about 30 snails on my 75. No problems so far ( that I am aware of).
Old 06/22/2006, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

I have about 30 bluelegs and 5 scarlet hermit crabs in my tank. They do a pretty good job eating algae where snails cant get to. They can become lazy at times though. I have never seen them mess with my snails.
3x Koralia 3's
Litermeter3
Dual stage Ranco controller

Matt
Old 06/22/2006, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I have some blue legs, and they don't cause any problems. I also have zebra hermit crabs, I believe that is the name, no problems from them. Although they are getting big.

David Ben-Gurion
Old 06/22/2006, 11:06 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

I have two large scarlets and they haven't done any harm to any snails yet *fingers crossed.*

I used to keep blue legs in my 65g... I had to replace snails constantly:/

-A
Old 06/22/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I have blue legs, red legs (not scarlets), and emeralds. Initially, I had problems with my hermits attacking my snails. I think two things happened to remedy this. First, after killing about half a dozen snails, there were plenty of extra shells in the tank, so they didn't bother them anymore. Second, it seems like the snails have to get used to the tank. After a couple months, I didn't have any problems with them falling off the glass or rocks. I have mostly astrea snails, so they were certainly easy prey for crabs if they fell over. As for my two emerald crabs, they've been very well behaved! I've caught my smaller one picking at the polyps on my Turbinaria once, but it didn't seem to do any damage, especially since it can fully retract its polyps. I've never seen either of them touch another coral. The only real trouble maker in my tank is actually my cleaner shrimp, who is probably going to be finding a new home before long.

-Mike C.
Old 06/22/2006, 11:39 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

My hermits ate zoos, my hammer, and numerous snails. Never seemed to eat any algae.
Old 06/23/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I currenlty have alot in my 75, but once my 120 is up and running they will only live in the sump. The display will be all snails.
Old 06/23/2006, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

can I have your 75? lol
Old 06/23/2006, 01:16 AM
Team RC Member

I've never had a hermit attack a snail. I've had them clean them and set them down again [the little strombus grazers] and the snail goes off unharmed.

I think hermits get a bad rap in the snail department. First, yes, they will kill a snail if absolutely desperate for a shell, but if you put enough spare shells in of gradated size [about 2x as large as seems reasonable to you: crabs are ambitious] you won't have this problem.

Why I think people are wrongly blaming hermits: 1) I've seen a truly alarming species sold as a blue-leg hermit. The real reefsafe 'blueleg' hermits are no bigger than dime-size and not hairy legged. To me they look black, with red antennae. 2) the trochus and astraea snails so popular for cleaning are evolved to live only in rock. They cannot move on sand without a risk of falling over in high current. If tipped over, they die. They cannot right themselves without help, and they die. Crabs are scavengers, eaters of the dead. They're always on the scene of the 'crime', but the 'crime' was pure accident---and the owner not rescuing the stranded snail. The crab has nothing to do with it. In the way of inverts, the snail might even be still moving, but if he's got that 'dead snail' smell in the water due to advancing decomposition of some of him, he's lunchmeat for any scavenger.

I personally keep the miniature bluelegs, and the scarlets. My largest scarlet, who lives in a 2 inch conch shell, is big enough to eat bubble algae, which he does do, at various times during the day. My emerald crab is sampling it, but does not do the job this scarlet does.

The scarlets in particular perch when they are molting. They may do this atop your pocillopora, your montipora, or wherever, but I have sps and lps all over my tank that has been sat upon by molting crabs and breeding crabs, [who take rather longer] and there has never been any damage to a coral. Their feet are very light, and do not puncture even the lps.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/23/2006, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

i have a 55g and i started with 12 mexican redlegs and about 4 died. then i bought another 12 and put me up to 20. i added a few shells and i havent lost a single hermit since and ive never once had a snail die. they dont bother my corals or my fish. they just eat algae and anything my fish miss. they are pretty entertaining to watch to lol. i personally prefer my hermits over my snails and they clean the rocks and sand alot better than my snails do to. the only reason i really have snails is for my glass. of course they do rocks somewhat but mainly the glass. the hermits take care of the rest.

click my little red house to check out my 3 different picture threads. pictures of our members tanks divided by size. they are beautiful so check em out and share yours. :)
Old 06/23/2006, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

I've got a mixture of various types - blue legs, dwarf blue, electric blue, halloween, brown and red. I've neber seen any of them eat a snail. The only time they harrass a snail is if they are after the algae on its shell. They can be a bit annoying when I feed my sun coral as there is always a stampede to catch the food and they tend to crawl all over it but not to any detriment to the coral. I often see them on my corals - usually picking up any detritus between the polyps rather than actually eating the polyps themselves. I would recommend them as they can be very entertaining to watch especially when they are switching shells. I had a totally naked one recently - introduced three large electric blues to the tank who all immediately got mugged for their shells by the existing inhabitants. One ended up crawling around naked and I had to find an emergency shell for him. The only one I had was a ridiculous shape with a long spine sticking out but he seems happy in it.
Old 06/23/2006, 06:29 AM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

Most are potential snail killers, but they are just so darn cute the little buggers with there little eyes poking out and their feelers twitching. Awwwww
Old 06/23/2006, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

I have about 12 blue legged hermits. & 3 red scarlet reef hermits since thats all the LFS had at the time. But they don't bother any of my xenia, mushrooms, or snails... I think they do a great job at cleaning everything, and they sure are entertaining to atch when they take a ride on a turbo's shell, and they go up the glass with him... Ive seen that a few times. But overall I like them and will add a few more to my tank...
Old 06/23/2006, 07:57 AM
2b1ask1

I have a 15 gallon nano, and in 6 months my three hermits have only killed one snail. Now with extra shells they're harmless.

Snails and hermit crabs are cheap. At least for me they are. I always see a sale here or there at different stores both online and around town.

I personally don't think you'll ever have 100% hermit crab safety with snails, but they all do such a good job I don't mind the murders.
Old 06/25/2006, 07:00 PM
"Lurker"

Thanks for the help. I think I may add a few (4-5) to my 55 because I'm having some algae issues that my snails just aren't taking care of. Around here, hermits are $.99 and snails are about $2 a piece (or 3 for $5). So, if they do go on a rampage I'm not really out much. And my lfs has recently started carrying descent numbers of useful snails.
Old 06/25/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

the only crabs I like are acro crabs . All hermits are evil IMO and I like my snails more.