Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Kill Hair algae with raised Mg level?

Hey guys, I have tried searching but can't find the thread I read about 3 months ago.

The thread explained the use of elevated magnesium 1550-1600 to kill Bryopsis (hair algae). Does anyone remember or have this thread bookmarked?
Old 12/01/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

It does exist and it does work. I will look for it as well and post it here if I find it.
Old 12/02/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

Here is the thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ium+hair+algae
Old 12/02/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Thanks man, you guys and this forum kick butt!! I am purchasing my premium membership tonight. Been meaning to do it for a while but am finally going to help in the monetary department.

Old 12/02/2007, 02:20 AM
Slightly Obsessed

But Bryopsis and Hair Algae are not the same thing. As I recall, it was not as effective on Hair Algae as it was on Bryopsis.

I could be wrong, though.
Old 12/02/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

No, your right. Derbesia is the worst IMO, but with a good fuge you can kill it deadder then ****.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:24 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I have something worse... a valonia outbreak... that matted small bubble stuff that just takes over rocks. Its horrible.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

This may help but not end the problem. You need to get to the root of the problem. Algea is always present and the key is control. Control by water quality , flow , SB condition , proper amount of LR and SB with SB being clean sifted and free of dead spots ,not over feeding or overstocking. Controlling this without additives is the only true way of control and is a sign of a healthy eco-system.Below are 2 common resonses for algea overgrowth.GL

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/water4maruse.htm
Old 12/02/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I don't believe I've read of anyone having success killing hair algae with magnesium. Only with bryopsis.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Raising Mg will not kill hair algae. I thought I had bryopsis and raised my Mg to 2000. The algae did not go away. I had to pull it out by hand for weeks and I still have some.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:28 PM
El Jefe de WRS

With some algae types, all you can do is deal with them when they pop up, either with critters that can handle them, or manual removal. My valonia outbreak has stopped 'advancing', but its would require entire tank breakdown to treat manually... each rock that has it (this is the stuff that grows into a dense bubble-mat... almost reminds me of small bubble-wrap growing all over the rocks) also has corals encrusted. I was going to see if my corals would just encrust and push the stuff back, but this stuff seems to prevent the corals from growing over it.

It seems my hopes will have to lie in a fish solution. I could do an emerald crab addition, but that could be hit or miss, and most likely require I add larger males... which would in turn cause other problems. My goal with this tank is to avoid crustaceans all together (so my snails dont get killed off every 12 months, so I dont have to worry about empty shells all over the place for hermits, so I dont have to worry about them killing smaller fish, etc). My cleaners are neon gobies, not shrimp for instance.

So my solution will be by adding a magnificent foxface (the other two species would cause problems since I already have a yellow tang, and a purple tang). I hear they like bubble algae, and since the tangs have mowed down all the other algae in the tank, this should narrow the foxface's attentions. Hope it works... otherwise I might be removing onr rock at a time...

The fish already has a name awaiting it... 'Skywalker'... because its my last hope!
Old 12/02/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Kill Hair algae with raised Mg level?

Quote:
Originally posted by schigara
Hey guys, I have tried searching but can't find the thread I read about 3 months ago.

The thread explained the use of elevated magnesium 1550-1600 to kill Bryopsis (hair algae). Does anyone remember or have this thread bookmarked?
This did not work for me! My Mag was 1500 + had no effect on hair algae. Installed a phosban reactor still not much effect. Bought a rabbit fish which was eating it like crazy. But the real killer was a blunt end sea hare he mowed it down in about 2-3 weeks. Completely gone now and I lent the Hare to a friend.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Hair algae is not bryopsis and mg will not do anything, but reducing phosphate will. Whenever I start to get some, I add GFO and it turns brown and dies.