Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Wrasse mixing question. Please let me know if I can do this

I have a 4 line wrasse now in my 180 reef and love to watch him hunt. I want to add other wrasses as I find my self drawn to these fish. I do have a few shrimp, but the only one I really care about is the cleaner shrimp, so as long as they leave him alone, I don’t care.

I am looking at a Mystery Wrasse, maybe a Leopard Wrasse and taking suggestions on other unique wrasse that I can add.

Can I mix a 4 line with these 2 and are there any others that will play nice together?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:41 AM
Really Good Fisherman

Lined wrasses , genus Pseudocheilinus, are rough on other wrasses and fish especially if they are already established. just my experience having kept 6 and 8 lines in the past.

I wouldn't risk such a nice fish as a Mystery Wrasse with your existing four line.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

It was my understanding that 4 lines are not as aggressive as 6 or 8 lined.

Not true?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

All of the lined wrasses are aggressive and normally do not mix with other wrasses especially fairy and flasher wrasses. But, it is your choice . . .

~Steve~
Old 12/06/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

i recently lost a mystery wrasse to a sixline that was half his size.. from my own expierence with the pseudocheilinus family is to keep one per tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I have kept Pseudocheilinus with Dragon Wrasse (Novaculichthys Taeniourus), but only when the Dragon was larger than the 4 line,and was introduced BEFORE the 4 line.
Unless you are able to move the 4 line until the new wrasse can get established,you might not want to risk it. Just my opinion.
Good luck !!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

I agree with above. ^

~Steve~
Old 01/05/2008, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I have a sixline that is quite large and peaceful to my other wrasses. Must be an exception. He was the first in the tank and I have since added a carpenter, red headed, yellow, radiant and green wrasse...all are fine. Lost an exquisite and velvet within a week of addition but it was not due to the sixline.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

In a large enough tank, you MAY be ok. Or it may decide to become aggressive and take out your flasher wrasse.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I have a 4 line wrasse and he WILL harrass anything smaller than him that gets introduced into the tank.

I put a pair of resplendant and fisheri hybrids in the tank that were slightly smaller than him. He went after the smaller of the two quickly. And only backed off when the male (larger of the two) fought back a little. Now he leaves them alone.

I also put a larger african leopard wrasse in and the 4 line hasnt been agressive at all.

I also put some pajama cardinals that were slightly smaller than the 4 line and he left them alone altogether. Maybe it was because their shape was significantly different....

So in general, my experience has been smaller fish introduced after the 4 line will get harrassed. (cardinals were the only exception)
Old 01/06/2008, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Leopard Wrasse are really really hard fish to keep to. if you get one make sure it is eating. I have lost 3 of the so far.do to not eating
Old 01/06/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I got a Radiant Wrasse that is larger than my 4 line. The 4 line seems to be leaving him alone so far. The Radiant ate at the LFS and ate the first day I put him in my tank, but for the last 2 days he has not eaten. I was going to QT him, but the LFS said that would be the end of him for sure due to not having a DSB to hide in.

I hope he makes it as I really like the looks of this little guy.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

8-lines and 6-lines are more aggressive (8-lines are the worst - they get big) but mysteries and 4-lines do have a temper to them. Can you get the 4-line out? I would add any wrasse you want now (if you can get the 4-line out) then reintroduce the 4-line. A mystery wouldn't work - they would definitely fight. however, leopards and fairies/flashers would be OK if they are there BEFORE the 4-line!
Old 01/07/2008, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

No, I cannot get the 4 line out, but for the most part, he is pretty tame and leaves everyone else alone. I have not seen him charge the Radiant once yet.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Setec is about timing and chosing right.

NO SIX LINE

IMEE six lines are truly a pest- extremely territorial and pesky, excellent for pests though.

Anyways many many choices out there.
I keep 10 wrasses in my 240-lineatus-2 leopards-yellow-radiant-mysteri-flames and others I don't recall have to be in front of the tank lol.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Agree with above. The lined wrasses are good flatworm predators but they have an aggressive streak to them.

~Steve~
Old 01/07/2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to thread jack here....

Would a Yellow and 6-line be able to be housed in a 75g with 100lbs of live rock?

I have a Yellow and would really like a 6-Line too...

Your thoughts???

TIA
Old 01/10/2008, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

I have a yellow and a six line in a 210. No problems and the six line was there first.