Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

collecting water

Oliver Nivbrant wrote:
I get my water from the sea, I live in Perth, Western Australia so the water is close to the most pristine in the world.

Where are you collecting water from? I mean are you just gowing down to the beach and collecting or are you going offshore to collect it. The reason I ask is because nearshore water contain higher amounts of nutrients if you want to collect truly pristine water you need to travel at least 20-30 miles offshore and even then you might still have problems.

"You go inside the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, shark's in the water ... our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies . . ."
Old 03/18/2006, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

A very effective method is as follows:

It has a 90% chance of success.

Ensure your phosphate/nitrate levels are reasonable and that you have done regular water changes. Small levels will not be an issue as this will soon be gobbled up.

If using Natural seawater, check levels of ammonia and nitrate and Po4.

If ok then we carry on....

Buy a large bottle of triple distilled SMIRNOV Vodka and dose with an intial dose of 3 millilitres per 100 litres. (Dose this during the first initial evening directly into the sump or overflow).

The following morning, cut the dose down to 1 millilitre per 100 litres per day, but divide the amount in half and dose morning and night.

EXAMPLE...500 litre tank = 5 ml per day, so 2.5 ml in the morning and 2.5ml in the evening.

Keep dosing for as long as you wish.

Your cyano, and diatoms will start to melt away within one to two weeks.

I dose this on a regular basis.

Let us know how she goes!

Craig
Old 03/18/2006, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

One thing that was mentioned earlier in this thread by someone is carbon if you are using it. Even if you are using a name brand carbon soak some in ro water for about 15 mins and then check for phosphates. The process used to make and clean carbon can often cause phosphates to leech out of the carbon into your tank. This is more common than a lot of people realise.

Check around and only use high quality carbon if you use it at all.
Old 03/18/2006, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I have probebly had my nori sheets for over 6 months. I have them in a plastic bag though with the gel stuff in the paper bag. i'm guessing this is pretty old but the nori still smells and feels as i think it should.

this idea of smirnov. Won't the fish get drunk, hahaha. Could i use any type of spirit or does it specifically have to be smirnov
Old 03/18/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I have found the triple distilled works best.

Im not sure in Smirnov is the only one, there may be another brand similar, but if you can get it, i would advise it.
Old 03/18/2006, 05:44 PM
25 and over club

I have used Chemi-clean with great results. But the chemiclean is only good for killing it... If you water falls out of parmeters, the cyno will return
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: .15 (doing another water change)
PO4: .01
Ca: 500
Alk: 9.0 dKH
Mg: aprox. 1200
pH: 8.0
ORP: 320 average