Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Arrow Help with red string algae (cyano)

I have noticed that I have a little bit of red string algae in my 50g reef tank and I am really in need of how to get rid of it. I am using a product called Tunze Quickphos 910 and this is supposed to reduce phosphates which my LFS are saying is causing the cyano. They are also recomending for me to do water changes to keep the phosphates down. Is there any other way to get rid of it?

I have 5 fish in the tank. 1 scopas tang, 1 six-line wrasse, 2 clownfish and 1 fridiman psuedochromis.

I am ever gratefull for any help, cheerz
Old 02/05/2006, 01:32 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

OK. Yes your p04 could have something to do with that but it is usually just a calm area that detrius collects. Keep up on your water changes and try pointing your powerheads around the area. If that doesn work try and get some Chemi Clean. It kills off the cyano and its safe for all invers/fish/coral. I was fighting the same thing I used the Chemi Clean and it was cleared and gone within 36 hours. HTH
Old 02/05/2006, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

i had the same problem several months ago and i searched RC and found that some people used Maracyn tablets and it worked for them. So i tried it. With the exception of killing all my shrimp (supposedly you have to dose alot of iodine to keep the shrimp alive?) it worked. I'm not someone who is going to try to sell you on the stuff, rather, just make you aware that it is out there. I would strongly suggest that if you go this route, you read up about it extensively.
Here's a few details from what I remember:
1. You turn your skimmer off for a few days while dosing.
2. I dosed 3 tablets to start. Next morning, 3 more. And then 4 per day for 4 days.
3. My skimmer went CRAZY when i turned it on. I couldnt keep up with it. It got to the point where i was scooping out all the foam from my sump.
4. Maracyn contains 200mg erythromycin, which is an antibiotic.
5. it's sold at petcoor petsmart, in the fish medicine area.
6. Didnt have an adverse affect on any of my corals.
Good luck.
Old 02/05/2006, 01:47 AM
Premium Member

As Aquareeferman said, chemi clean does work very well. I've used it and it worked very quickly. Another option is to increase waterflow. Mine seemed to gather in spots where there was very little flow, upon adjusting this, it went away.

Hth,

Matt
Old 02/05/2006, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

funny you mension the water flow because the place where it is situated has alot of water flow! I am wondering if what I have really is cyano!! It is wine red and gathers in slimy thin covers and eventually grows longer?? Thanks for al the help !