Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2005, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Feeding my foxface

I have had my foxface for 5 days and he seems to be doing ok. He is grazing a fair bit and comes out alot more now, before he was hiding alot. He hasn't touched his nori however, and I am worried as to why he isn't eating it. I put a strip of it on my magnetic algea scraper and it hangs there, fluttering in the current. I am just worried that he is going to run out of food! I have alot of hair algea and that since my tank is only 3 months old, but will he be ok?? What are some other things that I could feed him??
Old 04/27/2005, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Perhaps try and wrap in on a small rock or something, he may eat it that way as it would be more natural for him to pick the rock then off a algea clip....then maybe after he gets the taste of it and knows it is food he will start eating off the clip, if he plain old just does not like it then there are other types of dried algea you could try...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=687

the above says they like fresh veggies also....

DaveC
Old 04/27/2005, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Try feeding him brocoli or live brine. Mine eats anything. How big is he?
Old 04/27/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

My foxface loves seaweed from the oriental food store. I rehydrate it with Vita-Chem and RO water so it's a good source of vitamins and fresh water. Make sure it's plain seaweed with no spices added. It's very inexpensive also (something very rare in this hobby) It also stays together in a clip very well unlike nori.
Old 04/28/2005, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

he is about 12cm. I'll give the rock idea a try, sounds good.
Old 04/28/2005, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

If you have a lot of algae in your tank just give him nori in little bits he will mow down the algae. I have one that is called the pig they do get big if you have big tank this one is 8" at 3 1/2 years old. Like in the previous post he will accept any food. Do you see him picking at the rocks
Old 04/28/2005, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

A length of PVC tubing and a rubber band make an excellent, easy, and cheap Nori feeding station. Just fold the Nori over a few times and band it to the outside of the pipe. The pipe will sink naturally.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics