Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

29 gallon biocube getting started 2 weeks into it.

hi everybody!

i am new to saltwater aquriums and always wanted to do one so i have started one i bought a 29 gallon bio cube,i have live sand n it right now and and about 8lbs of live rock with 4 blue damsels and about 10 snails, it is currently going threw its cycle stage right now its been up and going for about 2 weeks and everything is going fine its going threw the ugly stage right now with the sand turing brown,i would like to here some feed backs on the 29 gallon bio cube as in any problems with it and if you are growing coral in yours etc.

thanks!
Old 09/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby.

Some things to try:

You can run your lights on a short cycle of only an hour or two during this initial 6 week period. With no corals in the aquarium the short light cycle will keep algae growth to a minimum.

Don't move too quickly to add animals. Give the aquarium time to adjust (weeks) between additions.

I dont have a biocube but I have had a nano cube with the PC lighting and had good succes with corals. A common problem with these tanks is heat. I try to keep my tanks just under 80F. How is your temp?
Old 09/17/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

yea i want to get a timer for the lights,my temp is high running 80-84 mostly 82-83 i was thinking maybe of getting a chiller??
Old 09/17/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

open the back access door - that releases enough heat from mine to keep the temp no higher than 80.