Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

JBJ 28g HQI Build

First time setting up a nano like this. II won this tank at the Fosters & Smith Frag Swap this summer. Not a bad tank, but I think it was the demo tank that they hauled around. The tank itself is in great shape, the stand I'm not so sure about. Not he best looking stand in the world. Maybe in the future I'll find a nice dresser or something to put it on, but for now this will do.

Equipment list:
Run the stock halide that came with the hood, 14K
the 2 reutrn pumps on a wave timer, 6mn cycle
1 (maybe 2) Tunze nanostream 6025 for more circulation
Won Bros 100w titanium heater
JBJ Mini-Arctica chiller
stock air stone skimmer

I do have a couple of questions. How much live rock should I go for? It seems Premium Aquatics is the place to get it from. Thats fine with me, I've been happy with them in the past.

I plan on keeping clams, some sps and lps. I shouldnt need to add anymore lighting? I saw a mod from nanotuners to add pc lighting to the hqi hood.

I know I have more questions, just can thtink of what they are for now Any thought comments go ahead and post them. I hope to get the live rock odered on Monday.

Old 08/06/2007, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

You seem to know what you want to do. You could ad the pcs for antinic lighting . You could use this for dawn and dusk. I have the Nanotuner 1.150 kit for the Biocube and I am sure you will have more than enough light. I replaced the 10k that came with it. I am using a 20k radium de 150 and am much happier. The chiller is fine though I am not sure I would have got the brand you did. I think you will have a nice tank and good luck. I have no heat issue but iur house is 70 degrees or cooler year around, I have around 35 pounds of lr in the Biocube.
Old 08/06/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

whats wrong with the brand that he got? imo, JBJs are top notch chillers. for sps you may want to think of a way to add more flow. possibly tunze nanostreams or koralias.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Supreme Member

JBJ are nice chillers. Works and really quiet, at least in my own experience. I think that is all the lighting you will need for any type of corals. Some people add the PC's for actinics to give them that coral flourscent. Very lucky to have won such a sweet tank.
Old 08/07/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Looks good atleast your stand you can have you chiller sit in I have the 24 Nano and have the same chiller but sitting next to it!!
Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Midas Blenny
Abalone (got in by mistake but he can really clean a tank!!)
Old 08/09/2007, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
whats wrong with the brand that he got? imo, JBJs are top notch chillers. for sps you may want to think of a way to add more flow. possibly tunze nanostreams or koralias.
I have 1 tunze nanostream now, and will add one more today. The rock showed up yesturday, not sure how I like the aquascaping. It will work for the clams I want to move from my 58. I'll try and snap some pics today.
Old 08/09/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Here is the aquascaping....

Old 08/09/2007, 04:08 PM
Nano Reefer

I like the aquascaping a lot. That thing is going to make one helluva nano SPS setup.

Looking forward to more pics
Old 08/09/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Love the rockwork. I think you got a great looking system.
Old 08/10/2007, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm still wonderig if I should even do the hood upgrade for the pc's? The 150w 14k should be plenty. I run a single 250w 14k on my 58g without any issues. It may be a few weeks before anything hits the tank. We'll see how much of a cycle it goes through first.
Old 08/10/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Looks great Eel-byte! Do you have your tunze nanostreams on a timer or wavemaker or just let them run continuously? Thanks. -Trey
Old 08/10/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

The Tunzes run continually, the dual returns are on a wave timer.
Old 08/10/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

So the Tunzes have ~660 GPH of flow each and is not enough flow to rip outer layer off of corals or plaster fish against the front wall? Thanks. -Trey
Old 08/10/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

We'll see what happens. I wont aim them directly at any coral, or try not to. The flow on these arent as direct as a regular powerhead. As far as I know you're not to use a wave timer on the 6025's.
Old 08/10/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Eel-byte. We are considering possible more flow options for our jbj nc28. I think we are going to replace the return pumps with maxi-jet 1200s, because one rattles loudly, and get a few more gph flow. Wondering if more flow would be needed, or how tank would handle more flow. Please keep us posted with your tank. Looks sweet so far. Thank you. -Trey
Old 08/10/2007, 07:23 PM
clownfish fan

that looks like a perfect amount of flow with two tunzes

nice tank
Old 08/10/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Looking good. I really like that setup.
Old 08/11/2007, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

I do have one question. What are my options for upgrading the skimmer? The air driven one works ok, but would like a little more.
Old 08/14/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Still have the qustion about the skimmer. Anything that will fit the jbj 28 without modding it to much? I'm looking at ordering frags from Fosters and smith, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2485 . I would like some other suggestions for corals
Old 08/14/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't order corals from Drs foster and smith. Its not that their bad, its just their are better online stores out there where you can "hand" pick the corals your getting and not just order a soft corals pack. I also think Drs foster and smith is expensive for corals.
-Aqua C Remora
Livestock
-Orange Spotted watchman goby and candy cane pistol

38 gallon reef in the making
Old 08/14/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Who would you suggest?
Old 08/14/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

reefscience.com is a good place, especially since you get to see exactly what you're buying. I've been to his place before, he has a good set up, and he seems like a nice enough guy.
Also, sealifeinc.net is a good place. You don't get to see exactly what you're buying, but he has good products and always gives extras, too.
Good Luck!
Old 08/14/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

I think it should first the stones , then the sand, because if an animal undermines the sand , the stones falls on the animal .

Looks nice .
Old 08/14/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shinosuke
reefscience.com is a good place, especially since you get to see exactly what you're buying. I've been to his place before, he has a good set up, and he seems like a nice enough guy.
Also, sealifeinc.net is a good place. You don't get to see exactly what you're buying, but he has good products and always gives extras, too.
Good Luck!
I looking for more of a selection from reefscience.com. And from what I could see, sealifeinc.com didnt carry any sps.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eel-byte
We'll see what happens. I wont aim them directly at any coral, or try not to. The flow on these arent as direct as a regular powerhead. As far as I know you're not to use a wave timer on the 6025's.
I haven't hear that before?? I was planning on running them on a wave timer you know where you read or heard this from??
Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Midas Blenny
Abalone (got in by mistake but he can really clean a tank!!)