Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/22/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

no sandstorm here with the 2 nano's and a big 6000....it's all about positioning

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/22/2007, 01:44 PM
clownfish fan

i have a 50g 2x6025s and a seio620 and need more flow
i have 3to 4 inch dsb
Old 01/22/2007, 01:54 PM
Flowalicious

If the flow dropped off after you bought it, why not just send it back, instead of cutting it up?
Old 01/22/2007, 02:03 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

i dont have another pump to keep my tank going

i have an old MJ mod thast taken apart i might be able to get started, and a Mj 900 for water changes

so i dont exactly have a backup(yea yea, not a good idea) but this seemed to work great

plus i also wanted a bit more flow too

this gets around every single rock in my tank

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/22/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

It is curious as to why the pump had decreased flow in the first place, unless there was something clogging the intake or something got into the shaft.
Old 01/22/2007, 02:35 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

im curious too, it made the same noises, it just didnt seem to push the water as wide or as far

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/22/2007, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Two comments, having been involved with Germans and German technology I can tell you that wall is there for a reason, what it is Im not sure yet. It may simply be to regulate the flow so that the next model, I think 6045 will have a somewhat less restriction and hence more flow. Or it unfortunately can be designed to reduce side to side flex on the prop shaft and this means you will get failure sooner that normal. You didnt just stumble onto something that the engineers at Tunze missed.
Old 01/22/2007, 03:12 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

it had nothing to do with side to side flex, the prop would smack against the side and it makes a loud noise, like i tried to put the cover on while it was running once

i think it is more to regulate flow and aim it, but im not entirely sure

well find out i guess

Old 01/22/2007, 03:15 PM
clownfish fan

rodger would have replaced yours
Old 01/22/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

i just did mine, really good increase in flow, I'd say nearly double.
I'n my 4 foot tank i have surface agatation across the entire thing from only one of them, before it was only around half, maybe a little less.
Old 01/22/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

So who is going to break the news to Roger? I am interested in what he will have to say.
Old 01/22/2007, 03:56 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

vidrine, so how do you like it so far?

it didnt change the noise or vibrations at all for you right?

and lets let roger find this one on his own

Old 01/22/2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Per Roger, "The problem is that the tube is actually there to correct the prop rotation. If the prop spins backwards the magnet/ prop assembly flies down the tube until it breaks contact with the electromagnetic field, in falling back in it spins the right way, like a falling maple seed and syncs up with the magnet correctly. The tube is to keep the magnet from flying out of socket or hanging up on the intake screen. Contrary to popular belief the 6025 and 6045 use the same front cover."
Old 01/22/2007, 04:26 PM
clownfish fan

thanks for asking thats what i thought
Old 01/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

I also asked about drilling holes, but he has not responded yet. It the tube serves the purpose he described, I don't see what problems could arise out of drilling holes.
Old 01/22/2007, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

That sounds reasonable jcr6479.
Old 01/22/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Per Roger on the "drilling holes" issue, "I am not sure how this would effect the start up. If you intend to start and stop the pump alot it could be a problem, if you will always have it on, it should not be a big issue." I think I will be drilling holes tonight. LOL.
Old 01/22/2007, 04:55 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

I have had no problems with start up to tell you the truth

i did test that, it did go back and forth, clicking, but it started itself right

one time it didnt rotate at all, i plugged it in, nothing happened for about 2 seconds, then it just started

But cutting this part off the tube wont do any harm. The impellar is completely still inside the tube, so if it shoots forward it will stay in, its not like the whole impellar is exposed, just a tiny bit of the back

Old 01/22/2007, 04:56 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

and drilling holes will be hard, the way the thign is positioned, honestly youd be much better just cutting off as much as possible

Old 01/22/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Holes sounds like a good idea, or maybe easier would be to cut slats using a dremel. That way the slats will not be larger than the prop and you will be able to get inside the housing better. You may not get as much extra flow this way though.
Old 01/22/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Slats it will be!
Old 01/22/2007, 05:19 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Wow, this makes me feel so smart.

Old 01/22/2007, 06:59 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

well i did a waterchange tonight and i couldnt get the pump going back on its own. This is not really a bad thing, because sometimes the pump would do this before, even before i modded it it wouldnt move, it would just rotate inside very slowly by vibrations

*EDIT*

just had some gunk on the impellar, i cleaned it and it started up perfectly

Last edited by mr pink floyd; 01/22/2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01/22/2007, 07:48 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I cut away a piece of the "tube" with my Dremel tool and cutting wheel. I paralleled the contour of the cover. The flow is definitely improved. I'm impressed.

I've had not starting problems since performing the mod. My noise problem went away when I epoxied the shaft into the hole in the pump.

I was contemplating replacing the 6025 pumps with 6045s, but now I don't see the need.
Old 01/22/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

sorry if this is off topic but how much do the nano's run i cant seem to find them, great mod by the way

thanks