Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2005, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Why are all the on line vendors so low on sps?

Anyone know why the selection sucks righ now?

TT
Old 10/08/2005, 05:33 PM
Moved On

TexasTodd, I think I can answer that one. We are not currently a sponsor of reef central and I cannot tell you our business's name, but we own an aquarium maintainance and online premium coral business so I am speaking from experience.

Frankly, people have not been buying corals. The market has never recovered from the summer slowdown. Not to mention the price and CITES permits for species are getting harder to come by. Fuel in the Indonesion market has just doubled and because of the bombings in Bali. Flights are now being reduced in fears of a terrorist attack on a plane. That then lessens the number of flights avilable to bring corals and fish in from the area of Bali and it's surreanding Islands to the USA market. Basically most retailers need the hobbyists to start buying again. Otherwise I believe we will see a big number of smaller companies not making it through the winter. I hope this answers your question.
Old 10/08/2005, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Csxno1 thanks for the information.

What's wierd is the vendors that have corals listed, but they're all "sold". Guess that happened over a period of time and they haven't brought any more in.

Bummer.

Thanks again,

Todd
Old 10/08/2005, 06:47 PM
Moved On

coralfantasy.com
Old 10/08/2005, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Willie. One of the ones I check.

Not bad, but a half dozen or so in not a whole lot. But, they are pretty nice. The best was gone right away----missed it!

Todd
Old 10/08/2005, 09:04 PM
Moved On

No problem Todd, we have noticed even the BIG acro vendors are at about 1/2 what they used to carry. We believe that total propagation is going to be the near future of this hobby.
Old 10/08/2005, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

hi
www.reefscience.com is not lot on sps corals and the selection is better than ever. check them out if you havent. amazing stuff and good prices.
dustin
Old 10/08/2005, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Don't forget - Summer here is Winter there. Bad weather and monsoons.
Old 10/09/2005, 01:33 AM
Moved On

he gets new corals in every weeks. i talked to him and he said email him and he will hold it for you when it comes in
Old 10/09/2005, 05:25 AM
troublemaker

Todd - I've noticed too.

Summer is normally slow [at least around here locally] for the hobby - and I'd think that's a bit of it.

When do the CITES permits come round again? Perhaps we're also near the end of the import-year and need more permits? Unsure of this, but seen it happen previously.
Old 10/09/2005, 03:44 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by Csxno1

Frankly, people have not been buying corals. The market has never recovered from the summer slowdown. Not to mention the price and CITES permits for species are getting harder to come by. Fuel in the Indonesion market has just doubled and because of the bombings in Bali. Flights are now being reduced in fears of a terrorist attack on a plane. That then lessens the number of flights avilable to bring corals and fish in from the area of Bali and it's surreanding Islands to the USA market. Basically most retailers need the hobbyists to start buying again. Otherwise I believe we will see a big number of smaller companies not making it through the winter. I hope this answers your question.

Not to start a dispute here, but I directly import form Bali and the only reason for no Acro's coming in, is CITIES Permits. Now as for the bombings, that would probably delay shipment a week or two and fuel would just be passed on the importer and customers in the cost of the coral. Basically, there are no permits right now. I have not been able to get any Acro for the past 3 weeks. We'll see though. The market is still strong for them too. Hope this helps, Eric
Old 10/09/2005, 04:01 PM
why can't i love???

he's right. cites are all up in september so it can take a while to re apply, approval etc.....
Old 10/09/2005, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I go through Countrycorals.com, and they still had a very nice selection. I've purchased numerous times and Chris and Yvonne are the best. The BEST prices and shipping too. IMO.
Old 10/09/2005, 10:35 PM
RC Sponsor

Thanks dustin for recommending us. We really appreciate it. No problems on the CITIES here, nor does the bombings/weather affect us believe it or not. We import from a number of locations in the South Pacific and are not dependant on any one location for acropora.

Hope this helps,
Chad D. Bryant
--
Old 10/10/2005, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

Good post Dustin.........SSSSSHHHHHH!

Yes, my last order was from Chad.....very nice and good packaging. VERY healthy. I'm a little jumpy these days with all the red bugs around, so I aclimated and then did an immediate 6.5hr high dose Interceptor.....no problems all corals made it fine.

Thanks Eric, your site was one I was wondering about. Lots of nice stuff................but all "sold". Hopefully everyone will get more permits!

Todd
Old 10/10/2005, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Rockethead, huh?

We're talking sps here. I can't find ANY on the site you mentioned and even most of their ORA frags are "SOLD".

Am I looking at the site wrong?---not sarcastic. There's nothing on the "sps colonies" page when I click it. ???

Todd
Old 10/10/2005, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Not to mention the price and CITES permits for species are getting harder to come by
It might had been true before the Tsunami , however, there are plenty of them now. A lot nice Acros have been coming, however, everybody is just busy watching their wallets after Katrina and Rita.

Happy reefing,
Adam
Old 10/10/2005, 01:05 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasTodd
Good post Dustin.........SSSSSHHHHHH!

Thanks Eric, your site was one I was wondering about. Lots of nice stuff................but all "sold". Hopefully everyone will get more permits!

Todd
Just building a new site is all. Should hopefully be up this week
Old 10/12/2005, 03:32 PM
Truth Seeker

I admit there had been a slowdown but there IS stuff out there...Just gotta be quick !
Old 10/13/2005, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

http://www.midwestreefs.com/
Old 10/13/2005, 02:44 AM
Registered Member.

I agree with the slow down on the availability of sps colonies. I am trying to stock and can't do it. I can get the everyday stuff, but no exotic hard to find colonies. I am miffed.
Old 10/13/2005, 04:13 AM
Premium Member

Well, at least others are seeing it too.

Thanks for the post Adam, but, your stock is still much smaller than in usually seems to be on sps. But, at least you have some!

Todd
Old 10/14/2005, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Adam at cquarium.com has posted some more and there are some really nice ones!

Also, www.reefermadness.us has kept new corals coming in pretty well!

Todd
Old 10/14/2005, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dustin Combs
I can get the everyday stuff, but no exotic hard to find colonies.
You know maybe there's a connection with zoanthids, because I'm having trouble finding the hard to find colonies with them to. And then when I do find them - they're really expensive!! What's going on here?
Old 10/14/2005, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

i just got an order from reefermadness.com and everything is great. id say they're availablility is extensive for SPS too. with the frag packs the cost per frag is around $16-32. not bad if you ask me, thats with shipping included. i ordered 6 and got 8. that puts it closer $25 a piece for awesome frags.