Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2005, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Nathan,
I am sorry to hear about your losses. Do you have any recourse with Fedex?
-Bobby
Old 03/04/2005, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Nathan,

I am sorry to hear the terrible news. I hope the ones on life support recover.

I've been lurking since page one and only make a comment every 30 pages or so and felt compelled to give my condolences.
Old 03/04/2005, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Marc is working with Fedex on trying to get some headway on it. Im just to upste to deal with them on the phone right now.. I figured since he shipped more with them and was a registered customer it would be better for him to make our claim. We insured the boxes for a grand. and shipping alone was 270$ .
Old 03/04/2005, 06:57 PM
TRC Leader

I'm hoping your livestock will be covered. Shipping probably won't be reimbursed since it did arrive as promised. That's all I know at the moment. I got the forms printed out, and need to fill them out and fax them back.
Old 03/04/2005, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

your awsome marc,, its not your fault though,,, we will just go with the flow,, if some kick back pans out,, great .If not.. I can promise you that fedex will get a nasty letter from me and never get another penny of my money.. ... I know in the future i will sell out and start over.. way to much stress......

Nathan
Old 03/04/2005, 08:45 PM
TRC Leader

I totally understand your anger at these losses. I was worried about the birdsnest after all, and can't believe what occured instead. I talked to Mike about an hour ago, and he's going to contact me when he has the stuff I'm going to need for FedEx.
Old 03/04/2005, 10:15 PM
Reef Mania

Hey Marc, I finished my new web page. It is nothing spectacular, but it is just a starting point for it and am glad to have it done this far. I was sick today and was suppose to go back to bed, but instead I started working on this. I got the bug and worked on it all day and just go it finished.

http://rjwilson41.com/reefaquarium

Tell me what you think.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/04/2005, 10:30 PM
TRC Leader

Very nice. However, you might consider making each thumbnail its own smaller picture, rather than having the visitor download every full size image even though you are displaying them as smaller ones on the page. When the click on the smaller picture, it should then load the larger one.

I like what you did.
Old 03/04/2005, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Marc,

Your tank is really looking awsome. What a ride you have given all of us. Thanks!
Old 03/04/2005, 10:59 PM
Budget Reefer

Angry Green Tank

Marc, my 29 gallon reef has been green for the past couple weeks but I do not think its algae. I ordered a UV sterilizer a couple weeks ago but its yet to come in. My LFS said I had a plankton bloom. Does this sound right to you?

What People Tell Me-Nick you don't need another tank

What I Hear-Blah Blah Blah get another tank
Old 03/04/2005, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Nathan, sorry about the losses. I know you weren't looking for the Grinch to be in those boxes.
Old 03/04/2005, 11:47 PM
TRC Leader

Re: Green Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by angelfishlover
Marc, my 29 gallon reef has been green for the past couple weeks but I do not think its algae. I ordered a UV sterilizer a couple weeks ago but its yet to come in. My LFS said I had a plankton bloom. Does this sound right to you?
Does your tank have caulerpa in it, or in its sump? If that plant is allowed to be in darkness, it can 'go sexual' at the time of its choosing. When that happens, the green leaks out of the stems and the plant dissolves within 48 to 72 hours into nothingness.

If you do have an algae bloom that is unrelated to caulerpa, running carbon actively (through a filter) and changing water in large amounts (50% or more) will help resolve the problem.

Could this coloration be occuring due to overfeeding of the tank? My son has a 29g in his room, and for a while the tank water was green. Later the water was reddish. I figured it out when he was all out of Formula Two pellet food (green) and was using Formula One pellet food (red). He was feeding so much so often the tank changed color. The skimmate was glowing neon-blue during the green phase.
Old 03/04/2005, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

thanks all.. We both talked about the risk's when we started this whole deal back in october. I couldnt have asked a sharper person to "Sit" my corals for me til i got my life back in order. Fedex can really throw a wrench in the wheel though.. So much time and dedication goes into our tanks and we never really realize how much we value them til they go KAPOOF! If this claim pans we will just get some more acros and go right back at it...

Nathan

My Entire apartment smells of Acropora Death... My roommate has baricaded himself in his room with towels under his door its so bad,,LOL!!!!! Im just preping water for the AM waterchange i feel like i am going to need to do........

At least I got to see Little Abner and Daisy Mae live on stage tonight.. I couldnt stay here and ponder all evening...
Old 03/04/2005, 11:52 PM
The Original Happy Banana

I'm sorry for your losses, Nathan. That really is awful!
Old 03/04/2005, 11:54 PM
TRC Leader

Nathan, is anything going to survive this ordeal?
Old 03/05/2005, 12:05 AM
Budget Reefer

RE:Green Water

Well, I have no algae and no sump. I always run carbon and I only feed my fish every 3 days since the bloom began. I have tried doing 50% water changes every other day, but nothing has worked so far. Still, will the UV sterilizer fix my green water? All I know is that the UV is a Jebo 13 watt. I have a 250 GPH powerhead that will power it. I wont run it forever but I will have it handy just in case something happens.

What People Tell Me-Nick you don't need another tank

What I Hear-Blah Blah Blah get another tank

Last edited by angelfishlover; 03/05/2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03/05/2005, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Nathan, is anything going to survive this ordeal?
Actually I think the Tort is going to be allright.. It was the only one with a Non imploded bag.. The " Two Finger Mille" , the Red Mille , the monti frag,and the humilis.the purple/green piece that i thought was nana looks okay.. The scripps Frags of course ,, but I have 30 of those now.LOL ... Thats all im banking on at this point.. The one Encrusting monti that i told you was going earlier is now very faded.. the other 2 look okay .. Morning will be interesting..

Nathan
Old 03/05/2005, 12:31 AM
TRC Leader

Faded is okay with that encrusting montipora. I've seen that happen in my tank, and then later darken up again. Remember, it was detonated just before shipping, so it is probably pretty stressed. And on top of that, you told me it arrived dry...

Last edited by melev; 03/05/2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03/05/2005, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

it was dryer than my toast this morning.......
Old 03/05/2005, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Hey Meleve, Check out a friend of mine that has a 1,000 gallon reef tank made out of starfire glass he went nuts. Go to my webpage www.ocean-obsessions.com then go to (COMPANY) THEN CLICK ON (CURRENT PROJECTS). dont mind the webpage there is still lots of work to be done to it but the pictures should be under current projects under the
Old 03/05/2005, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Saturday morning update ...

Looks as if now the water is clearing in my tank and the loss is a little more apparent.Remembering that when i opened most of these bags the water was gone so their was no acclimation to them. My large (6-7 piece with about 15 Large branches)humilis that was green is checking out .. the green slimer piece is as well. Ive got water made up for a 15 gallon water change but at this point im wondering why i should even bother...... Ugh... I really hate Fedex!
Old 03/05/2005, 03:48 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by pburnette
Hey Melev, Check out a friend of mine that has a 1,000 gallon reef tank made out of starfire glass he went nuts. Go to my webpage www.ocean-obsessions.com then go to (COMPANY) THEN CLICK ON (CURRENT PROJECTS). dont mind the webpage there is still lots of work to be done to it but the pictures should be under current projects under the
I just checked it out. The entry page isn't much to watch, but I really like the main page of your site. Is the top using Flash perhaps? I'd like that one on one of my pages I think.

The 1000g setup is great. One sump is larger than my entire setup! Are all those yellow tangs babies? They seem pretty small, or you have a huge square spot Anthias in there.

This is another cool tank, and hope you'll add more pictures at some point: http://www.ocean-obsessions.com/Hote...y%202%20NY.JPG The acrylic is so thick! Is it running yet?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03/05/2005, 03:54 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by NuclearReefs
Saturday morning update ...

Looks as if now the water is clearing in my tank and the loss is a little more apparent.Remembering that when i opened most of these bags the water was gone so their was no acclimation to them. My large (6-7 piece with about 15 Large branches)humilis that was green is checking out .. the green slimer piece is as well. Ive got water made up for a 15 gallon water change but at this point im wondering why i should even bother...... Ugh... I really hate Fedex!

Your tank was empty before this, so I can't think of a better environment for them to recover in. I'd keep up the water changes, try to keep everything as stable as possible, and run carbon.
Old 03/05/2005, 04:02 PM
Reef Mania

Marc, Congratulations on hitting 100 pages for this thread!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/05/2005, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Well,, ive done a 20 gallon change and the smell is finally going away,, Water is clearing up . Ive removed 4 pieces that cashed out allready to prevent any further fouling.. looks like its going to end up being a 80% loss..... More RO water running up now for another change tommorow...

Nathan