Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/06/2003, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

miter saw?

looking at another DIY stand, do not want to use the compound miter box like last time....i really want some clean cuts.

for all you carpenter types out there... I might be purchasing a miter saw but need to know what to look for. Obviously i will be doing 45 cuts for various crown moulding, etc.

I know the Dewalt 12" is really good, but just cannot afford that.

This is DIY, of course, do not want to blow all my money on a new saw.

What do i need to look for?

type of blade?
HP, amps, volts?
how big...8,10,12"
load of motor at certain RPM, what is this?

thanks for ANY opinions offered
Old 02/06/2003, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Hi:

I actually used a compound chop saw form my cherry stand. You need to get a good blade for the saw. The cuts will then not be splintered or ragged. use a slow stroke and let the saw finish turning before letting it rise out of the work. I would suggest blades for Forrest Manufacturing and Freud. cost should be a lot less than a new miter box and saw.

Niteshado
Old 02/06/2003, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply, i do not even know what a compound chop saw is.... got a pic?

how much $ are we talking here?
Old 02/06/2003, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Depending on the degree of accuracy you want, you can purchase many different products.

A miter box and had saw being the most crude. If you have a steady hand and a saw table to work on you could get a 7.5" circular saw and make cuts in half the time of a miter box but may not be perfect.

If you want to spend the cash a 10" dewalt with a freud 60+ tooth finishing blade you will breeze through the project of cutting anything.

If you want to really spend some money you could get a 12" mitering chopsaw with a radial arm. this is realy nice because you can cut usually up to a 24" width piece of lumber.

Then there is the table saw option. these are nice unless you are trying to cut a6" lenght out of a 10' 2x4.

Lots of options. you have plenty to choose from.

The option I chose is the 10" Dewalt chop saw. I however plan on getting a table saw shortly and already had a 5.25" cordless and a 7.5" corded circular saw.
Old 02/06/2003, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

accident...
Old 02/06/2003, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

The Forest blades are good but the reason that they are so sharp and cost more than most blades is they use a harder carbide which stays sharper but it is also more brittle so you can easly break the carbide if you hit the teeth. I would go with a good croscut blade that has quite a few teeth, Freud or Oldham makes some good blades. You get what you pay for so if you see a 60 tooth blade for $8 chances are it is not going to give you good cuts.
For the miter saw I would look for something that looks well built and has positive stops. It all depends on how you plan on using it, if this is the the only project I would look at renting one or just using one. If you plan on doing all kinds of work with it determine what if you need to cut a 2x8 if not you would not need a 12". The more you spend generally the better and more options it will have. I have the Dewalt 12" and I have than got my money out of it. I built my garage and rebuilt most of my house and have helped countless people build. I bought mine for the sixe and the ease of portability.
The horsepower should be tied to the amps. I would look at the construction and as far as size it all depends on what you are going to cut.
Old 02/06/2003, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

I recall seeing a high-end miter box designed to use with your existing circular saw. It was fairly economical and looked like it would work well.

Personally I have a table saw which I use for most everything that needs cutting - including acrylic...

jv
Old 02/06/2003, 05:07 AM
Moved On

Location: Los Angeles - Where the Sun Grows Frags All Year Long :)
Its Bright Yellow

I bought the 14" Dewalt Sliding compound miter saw for my other house projects. It's accurateness compensates for my sloppiness. I love it.

For my current sump project I used the stock blade and made beautiful cuts in 4x6, 2x4, 2" PVC, 1.5" PVC, 1.5" Spaflex, 3/8 Acrylic Sheet, and Eggcrate --- It really makes me look like I know what I am doing.

I am willing to share it with locals... Sorry TX is so far away.

Dave
Old 02/06/2003, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Maybe you will find something on ebay There is a 10" coumpound miter saw for 69.99 + 29.99 shipping
Old 02/06/2003, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

How much are you looking to spend? Then we could give you a better answer on which saw to buy. Aslo is it just for one project or will you be using it for several projects?
Old 02/06/2003, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

thank you to everybody that replied, keep on replying!

Honestly, i did not want to spend more than $125, but that is not looking too reasonable if i want something decent.

I know i will be making one more stand and canopy, but later down the road, i am sure i will use it more, but for now, just this DIY project.

If i could find a used Dewalt for a "cheap" price, that would be nice.
Old 02/06/2003, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

You might want to check Pawn shops, they often times have good deals on tools.
Steve
Old 02/06/2003, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Just another note. You can rent from many rental shops or even Home Depot for the day a chop saw. The blade may cost you more and as previously note don't use the $7-10 cheapie blades. I built my garage so needed a chop saw. Orchard Hardware Supply for $129 including blade for a 10" model about 2 years ago. Rent it it you are only going to do a small project. Buy if you will need it for other tasks later. Niteshado
Old 02/08/2003, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clk2609
thank you to everybody that replied, keep on replying!

Honestly, i did not want to spend more than $125, but that is not looking too reasonable if i want something decent.

I know i will be making one more stand and canopy, but later down the road, i am sure i will use it more, but for now, just this DIY project.

If i could find a used Dewalt for a "cheap" price, that would be nice.
clk2609,

I see you live in Dallas. I live in Plano, and the local Lowes are clearing out the Delta 36-225's for $139. These are 10" compound mitersaws with 15 amp motor. They used to go for around $190. I picked on up myself, and am very pleased with it. There is a newer model now that goes for a bit more under their"Shopmaster" label, but if you can find one of the clearance ones, they are a deal. And the blade that comes with it is pretty decent too...

This is the new model, but the old model on clearance is pretty much the same. Actually, I like the older model better.

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/cata...model_no=MS350
Old 02/08/2003, 01:41 PM
Moved On

go to home Depot.. buy the best one they have... use then crap out of it for all your DIY projects..then return it.. I know.. that's scandalous.. but it'll work every time
Old 02/08/2003, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brokekyle
go to home Depot.. buy the best one they have... use then crap out of it for all your DIY projects..then return it.. I know.. that's scandalous.. but it'll work every time

Thats just wrong.........