Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club

Old 11/14/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

December Meeting

Greetings,

This is the thread I'd like to conduct discussions for the upcomming December 2007 meeting.

First, this will be mostly a social meeting, with a little business up front, and be followed by a raffle.

Further, we'll be accepting membership to distiguish a person or family as a Chico Reef Club member. The cost is $25/calendar year. As stated earlier:
Quote:
Originally posted by boviac
Yes, for one, the membership fees will cover the printing, lamanating expense of creating your membership cards.

Second, it may go to future events such as: club advertising, raffle equipment (ticket box), social event food/drink, speakers, web page fees, a loan source for hotdog/hamburger feed events, etc. I realize it's not cheap but then again for a year's dues it isn't bad. Afterall, many will spend nearly that much on a single pizza from Round Table. Also, for the most part, I believe that is the average price for membership to other reef clubs.

As I stated at the meeting, members will be allowed to:
1) participate in end of meeting raffles
2) participate in Frag Swaps (incl. other clubs - Except BAR)
3) be able to obtain discounts with LFS (pending)
4) be able to obtain discount of meal with Round Table on mtg night
5) be able to vote in club elections
There are more obviously but those are ones that stand out to me right now.

So after a few discounted meals with the mtg and a few purchases at your LFS with discount, the membership fee will most likely be covered.

Further, we officers decided the memberships will be on a calender year basis. Dues paid in November/December will include the next year. Jan - June of said year is still the same price. July-October will be discounted to $15. This way it allows the officers controlling membership to conduct the bulk of this work at one time.
So please feel free to plan your macro-algae, coral, fish, equipment, etc swaps here. If you would like please feel free to bring some frags to donate to the raffle.

Thanks and please tell a freind and bring them to the meeting.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Howdy y'all. Mr. Treasurer, if you read this, I'd like to formally request that we explore the idea of setting up a paypal account for membership. Some of us can't make meetings all the time and/or don't know people that we can send money with. Plus, paypal is very convenient.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I've got a laminator and the sleeves for it if you guys need one. I know kinko's doesn't charge a whole lot but a penny saved is a penny earned!

I second the paypal account idea. It's much easier too for those of us that don't tend to carry cash.. Or bring $25 but just HAVE to have that extra frag ;-)
Old 11/14/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Chris,

I posted in a different thread that was hijacked about membership for Dan and I.

Our membership is a little different in that we are both officers. So I am going to assume that we will treat this as if we were just two members rather than a family.

Let me know what the rules are regarding this situation.

Thanks,

Melissa
Old 11/14/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33
Howdy y'all. Mr. Treasurer, if you read this, I'd like to formally request that we explore the idea of setting up a paypal account for membership. Some of us can't make meetings all the time and/or don't know people that we can send money with. Plus, paypal is very convenient.
The Club does not have a bank account.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shelbiesdaddy
The Club does not have a bank account.
Shoot.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Yes, once we get a Non-Profit Corp set up, maybe a ficticious business name, and a bank account, I think we will be opening up a PayPal account to receive membership fees. I agree it is the wave of future transactions. MARS in Sac did this last year and I think more than a few people participated that way. We may consider including the paypal fee for those who go that route. However, I'm not sure what that amount is and if it's worth it.

So that being said please bring $25 cash or be prepared to make the check out the treasurer. That's a sticky point isn't it. Hmm.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

I cannot accept personal checks.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

The paypal account is pretty easy to set up regardless if you're a business or not. I think they charge a flat 3% fee for the transaction and it's not enough to really make a dent although I would pay an extra $1 or whatever to use it probably....

I can see why you wouldn't want to accept personal checks, thats a pretty shaky thing.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boviac
Yes, once we get a Non-Profit Corp set up, maybe a ficticious business name, and a bank account, I think we will be opening up a PayPal account to receive membership fees. I agree it is the wave of future transactions. MARS in Sac did this last year and I think more than a few people participated that way. We may consider including the paypal fee for those who go that route. However, I'm not sure what that amount is and if it's worth it.

So that being said please bring $25 cash or be prepared to make the check out the treasurer. That's a sticky point isn't it. Hmm.
Yeah, that's the problem; I'm not going to be able to make it to the December meeting. That means I could then wait until the January meeting... but that is during my vacation from work, and I may be out of town, which then puts me into the February meeting, but I already have tickets to New Orleans (AQUARIUM OF THE AMERICAS WOOOOOO!!!), so I may not be able to pay (at a meeting) until March? I could mail a payment somewhere, meet up with someone and send my money with them, or paypal. Paypal used to be a 2.7% fee for receiving money, and I think it probably still is (75 cents additional on our fee ). But like it was mentioned before, I think you need a bank account to link it to.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

I think Melissa and Dan should have to donate kidneys to prove their loyalty to the Chico Reef Club. Or just PM Chris and work something out, 'cause I think he has missed your messages
Old 11/15/2007, 04:18 AM
Registered Member

Ok Ryan,

I will donate my first born. Since he is 21 and living with his fiancee you really shouldn't expect much out of him except sleep.

The problem with linking everything to our bank account has to do with the taxes and non-profit status. I could meet you sometime to get your membership fee. That is no big deal.

As soon as we can get everything done as a non-profit things will change regarding the monies taken in and bank accounts and stuff like that.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I hear you Tylt33,

It's sometimes hard to make meetings especially this time of year with holiday events. Luckily its a small town and we are all friendly enough to meet up with you somewhere/someplace other than the meetings to exchange your membership card and fees.

Thanks Melissa for offering to do this. If it doesn't work out for you let me know and I can arrange to meet up.

Thanks and I hope to have more details about which LFS will provide what discount when our membership card is presented. But right now I'm going to suggest a 10% on at least livestock and maybe more but usually the standard discount does not count towards tanks. More details will follow when I find out.