Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading

Old 12/29/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Mangroves

I have plenty of Mangrove pods for trade. If anyone would like some I will trade for Cheato/frags or whatever. PM me
Old 12/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

How much would you want for them?
Old 12/29/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

I would perfer to trade if you have any frags or cheato or something like that. I could really use some pods for my fuge or a very small powerhead. I will give you 20 or more red mangrove pods.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:55 AM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by nybyrne
I would perfer to trade if you have any frags or cheato or something like that. I could really use some pods for my fuge or a very small powerhead. I will give you 20 or more red mangrove pods.
You are in the selling forum.

I recently dumped 1000 pods into my system, but darned if I could possibly get any of them out or I would trade with you. If you decide to sell, PM me. I'll buy some right now!!

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

I will trade with you. I have chaeto and ill even send you pod rubble in exchange for 20 shoots. PM me.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

I'm in. I have Chaeto with lots of worms, and three different kinds of pods that were seeded a month ago.

Let me know, I need 20 Mangroves.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Pm'edd you
Old 01/06/2008, 08:52 AM
Moved In

[moved]

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/06/2008, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

I have recieved lots of Cheato. If anyone has any frags they would like to trade let me know. Or a BTA.

Last edited by nybyrne; 01/06/2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I am interested in starting mangroves in m fuge, but am uneducated in how they grow. What is a mangrove pod, and how do they grow?

I'm in Orlando area and am setting up a 75 with full separate fuge and sump.

Mitch
Old 01/08/2008, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

about mangroves

To grow mangroves here is what you do:

Find out if they are red, black or white mangroves. This makes all the difference. There are other species of mangrove, but since nybyrne is from Florida, the others are not likely to be the ones he has because they are exotic to this area, and shouldn't be imported.

How to grow red mangrove propagules, most likely candidate for the aquarium:

1. Must be floated at least half way out of the water. They are about 8 inches long, some are longer, so a very shallow fuge, or nano, they can be placed in, if not do the following:

2. Push propagule half way through piece of styrofoam, until green half is fully through the top portion of the styrofoam, and the red portion is hanging underneath the styrofoam.

3. Add light strong enough to grow macroalgae, or a grow light. You can get these at home depot, or for twice the price at your LFS.

4. Heat. Mangroves propagules die almost immediately (1 day) if kept under 60 degrees. Florida is warm, and when a cold front comes in many propagules die, (the ones in the water survive though because the water temperature here never really gets below 70). Basically, if the room is cold to you, the mangrove is freezing. The larger the plant gets, the more tolerant it will be for short periods of cold, but a season of cold weather would kill it. You should ask for heat packs if it is especially cold where you live.

5. Wait. Propagules can take months to sprout, or sometimes just days. No way to tell by looking at a mangrove seed. After thay have sprouted, give the mangrove a light trim every month or so, including the roots, when it becomes problematic.

6. Getting results in the home aquarium:

Fill your refugium, or sump with lots of propagules. If you have 20 a gallon long, you can fit 200. At least get 50. As the plants grow, keep trimming them, (way easier to keep up with compared to chaeto- tops 2 minutes a month). As they begin to fill out, remove plants, give them away, trade them, whatever..) until you have reduced the fuge to 1 or 2 mini bonzai trees. Those two trees can get a 125 gallon tank to read zeros across the board and remove phosphates and silicates) However filtration would have already been going on for some time, because you had many propagules. Good liverock alternative for the budget reef.

If done right, mangroves can look amazing, and they are the source for your higher quality driftwood. Your refugium/sump can be made into a display tank. Additionally, most of the fish you own, (from the pacific or atlantic), grew up within the root systems of mangroves. They make an excellent addition to the breeding tank, and the method of filtration will not capture fry.

Other types of mangroves get similar results, but are grown differently.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

What an awesome primer. Thank you.
I think you said there are different techniques for different types.
That was the technique for the Reds. What are the differences for the Black and White types and are they even viable for the home aquarium?
I am considering getting some from Hawaii and want to know if there are any transport or shipping regulations of which I should be aware?
Otherwise can you recommend other sources that sell these things?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

I am going to post the rest of the mangrove info on Reef Cleaners when I get the chance, but the server is a little slow today. You should ask the person in Hawaii selling them, if they don't know the difference, they aren't familiar at all with mangroves. Better not to buy from Hawaii anyway, their state government there allows live trees to be harvested which is causing habitat and erosion problems. nybyrne will be able to help you I am sure. The black mangroves can grow in the home aquarium, but it is a little trickier in a way, and easier in other ways. I don't have any experience growing white mangroves, although I know they live even further up the shoreline than black mangroves and will need extra soil, and are less tolerant to hydroponic growth, although black mangroves are pretty good at growing by hydroponic means despite being found at midshore. Red mangroves are the best, and are usually in the water even at low tide.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

The way I did mine, I took the pods and stuck them in the sand in my fuge. Two weeks later they started growing leaves. They have since grown out of the water into small trees.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

I am in Orlando, and am in the process of setting up a 75 mixed reef with 10 g fuge and 10 g sump, how many would I need? I am just getting it set up, so I don't really have much of anything for trades, but I guess I will have to seek out somebody who has pods to buy, in about 3 weeks I am guessing......
Old 01/08/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

You can definitely stick them in the fuge like that, as long as some of the pod is out of the water.