Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/10/2008, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

strawberry pseudochromis

I was at petco the other day and saw a "strawberry pseudochromis" I have read a little about them and it seems that some are very mellow and others are aggressive. Does anyone know what the difference is in species or have experience with these? They were very nice looking.....I want one....
Old 01/10/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

i've owned quite a few fish and my friends have owned quite a few as well........This is easily one of the more aggressive fish I have seen. A friend of mine had one and it was a nightmare. It didn't care how big the other fish were, it would not back down. If you want one, be prepared to tear your aquarium down to catch it, they are super fast.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

here is what marine depot has to say about them that kinda confirms what I said:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_educat...Id~643654.html
Old 01/10/2008, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

ok so the Fridmani Pseudochromis would be a better choice, does anyone have experience with this one?

I have a 30 gallon tank with a 30 gallon fuge, what would be some good bright fish to add to the tank? how many or how many inches of fish could my system handle?
Old 01/10/2008, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

I always hate the inchs of fish question. I feel that it is soley depended upon by the filtration. If the filter can handle a higher bio-load then go for more fish. With out knowing your filter it is hard to say. I always liked firefish. They would be perfect for your 30, just make sure there is a good lid.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I hear yay lid and nay lid.....
Old 01/10/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

P. fridmani, Hands down, is a better choice, unless you have an aggressive tank ( in which a strawbery dottyback would be just fine). I own a P. sankeyei, which is a close cousin, but I assume you are looking for something purple.
Plus the Orchid dottybacks are JUST more beautiful ( IMO).

Matthew