Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)

Old 11/21/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Beware of who you buy frags from

I recently bought a superman monti frag on here from one of the regulars on this site and it had monti nudis all over it when i got home,not cool.I have tried to get a refund from this person and handle it civily but I gues he wants no part of that.Just beaware there are people on here just trying to make money off of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pretty lame in my oppinion,I just thought you should all be warned.PM me if you would like to know who it is.
Old 11/21/2007, 01:38 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Sucks about the nudis

The thinking nowadays, though, is trust no one and always assume it has pests. No matter how clean you and seller/trader believe a system is, it's still a good idea to inspect with a magnifying glass and dip/quarantine.

I'm also extremely cautious (almost to a fault) of whom my pieces come from.

Hope it all works out for you in the end

-K

Last edited by Unarce; 11/21/2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Good article for you on elimination:

http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 11/21/2007, 01:47 PM
August TFR Relay '07

pm sent but your inbox is full.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

PM box is now emptied.I was lucky and it seems that frag was the only thing infected it was removed within hours of putting it in my system.So far I have seen no further sign of them.The thing that irrtates me about this is that I heard this person knew he had a problem yet sold it to me anyways.That is what irrtates me the most I could understand if this was an accident but apparently it was not.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:16 PM
My tank is too full

That article is kind of old. Here is a new technique that Bourneman published.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

To thine own self be true
Old 11/21/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Just a quick question... Did you see evidence of the monti eating nudis, or just get a PM from an "un-named" source letting you know the "un-named" seller's corals were infected? It sounds like you physically SAW the nudis, but I just want to make sure, since I got the same PM from the same "un-named" reefer warning me of this seller.

I talked to the seller shortly thereafter and he told me that he did not have said pests and gets his corals from only reputable sources, which he named off.

I'm curious what the skinny is. This will have an impact on how I deal with this person in the future.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 11/21/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Just spill it Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 11/21/2007, 03:35 PM
Moved On

The person was me .If I was aware of nudis in my tank I would have never sold anyone a infected coral. Reefer you saw the corals yourself you came to my house. Ever coral that I have in my tank has came for very respectable reeferes in this area all of them. I was out the hobby for 3 months before I got back in. All the frags are in a Q-system for that reason my main tank you did not see. I was very suprised when you emailed me about the nudis. One thing I do not do is sale corals to make money. I have plenty of that. I was trying to be a helpful reefer by selling you the corals cheap again I would not have sold you a infected corals if I new they had nudis and I will still say I do not have them. Few guys have came by and can test to this I have done the scope thing with the corals nothing. You ask me to replace the monti I told you no problems give me a couple weeks to retreat my system just to make sure so there will be no problems. Again sorry you feel like I gave you nudis but you contacted 4 days later but yet you told me they were all over the coral the same day you should have contacted me then reefer. Are you sure your tank did not have issues and when you added a new piece they went after them. You and anybdy else is welcome to come check out the system. I feel like if you saying I got them then the 3 guys in this area that I got them from has them also.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Why not just give him a refund? I don't see the point in making a huge deal over it.
Old 11/21/2007, 04:59 PM
Dolphins at Seaworld

Mark, how long has that article been out? I suffered nudis for almost a year, finally just discarding most of my montis. I still have montis, but haven't seen nudis since July. Great to know there's a solution that will kill the eggs too. I may just get back into the montis now.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:14 PM
Moved On

Audio the problem is not the money. He came he saw he bought reefer picked out the corals himself. I dropped the price so he could afford the 2 corals. He pm me last night asking for for another frag and he said one was doing better. I think we all have suffered nudis at some point time in this hobby if you been in it anytime. If he is willing to bring my corals back to me I will giver him his money back. NO MATTER WHAT SAID ITS THE REEFER DUTY TO QUARTINE THE FRAGS NO MATTER WHAT,JUST TO BE SAFE I DO IT.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

At This point I will call a loss and a learning lesson.Why you did not just offer a refund in the first place I do not know.I contacted you 3 days later because,the frag was pulled out of my system only a couple of hours of being in there do to vissible small white creatures and I did notice it was allready starting to die when I first put it in my system.I pulled it out and put it in my fish only sump it has since died,I was not sure what was going on so I did some research and was given some advice from a fellow reefer and that was when I contacted you ,I have never delt with this before so just wanted to do my homework first and give the frag a chance to maybe pull through which it did not.I have had montis in my system for 6 mnths with no nudis they were definatley on the superman frag I got from you.I was curious why he scrubbed them with a toothbrush though,I should have known better,I do now!!!As far as inspecting the frags there ,his tank glass was coverd in algae so it was hard to seem them fully,I have had greatluck with people on here and there frags I gues I was a little to trusting this time.Everyone else I have bought frags from have been great people and offered to give me new frags if there was ever a problem even before there was even a problem though none occured from those other reefers,and thanks to you guys and gals for that.I have learned a lesson the hard way and will be now setting up a SPS quarantine tank if anyone has sugestions for this please PM me the best way to go about that.With all of this said LETS PLEASE LET THIS THREAD GO AWAY.Thanks and Happy thankgiving to all that replied just wanted everyone to be informed, Chris
Old 11/21/2007, 06:31 PM
Moved On

Really sad reefer that your pulling out the victim card you saw the corals and was very happy with them even happier when I gave you a break because you wanted both frags but again it is what it is .
Old 11/21/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Mr. "ned2getfish" is one of the most honest and knowledgeable reefers I know in this area. He will, and HAS gone out of his way to help out other reefers in the area. He has had at one time or another some the nicest, rarest, hard to keep corals in his collection. He is to the point of being "assenine" about his reef and tanks. I will support him when he says the corals were in super health and pest free. I know he would NEVER knowingly sell a coral that is sick or w/ nudis. Anyone who knows him like I do will probably echo the same info.
Old 11/21/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Are you sure it was monti eating Nudis? If there were no signs in display tank you got it from then it could of been something else. I personally have Berghia and Lettuce Nudis in my tank and by the looks of baby Berghias they can be mistaken.

With all that said, I too dip everything before introducing it to my tank.
Old 11/21/2007, 07:53 PM
Moved On

coach thank you very much bro
Reefer334 I want t say sorry to you for getting on you but I have received 3 pm since this thread the rumor started from another reefer that I thought was pretty cool. My old tank has been removed and gone why this person would start a rumor like this I do not know. I got out of the hobby because I was tired started seeing tanks and got motivated once again. As I said earlier I have a new system new tank new corals. Again reefer my apologies.

To others talking behind peoples back is not cool if got a problem or have something to say about someone else talk to that person and solve your issues.

Last edited by ned2getfish; 11/21/2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:44 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by ned2getfish
NO MATTER WHAT SAID ITS THE REEFER DUTY TO QUARTINE THE FRAGS NO MATTER WHAT,JUST TO BE SAFE I DO IT.
This is true, and an accepted protocol of coralkeeping these days. Hope you guys work it out
Old 11/21/2007, 09:48 PM
><

I've been to Dale place 2-3 times over the last 5 weeks and I've traded with him then and in the past. Each time there I always check his frags in his 15g tank and never notice any bad bugs (red/monti). The only pest I saw was one or two aiptasia.

Always dip and interceptor mine for 4-6 hrs no matter who the source is. With that said, I didn't see any bug fall off the frags that I acquire from him including 2 monti during the dip and under inspection.

I really doubt that any reefer locally would sell coral knowing they're infected just to make a few bucks. The damage from accusation will far outweight those few bucks. Sorry to hear about your superman Reefer34.

AND

NO MATTER WHAT SAID ITS THE REEFER DUTY TO QUARTINE THE FRAGS NO MATTER WHAT,JUST TO BE SAFE I DO IT.

Fat Happy Trigger = New Frag Daily
Old 11/21/2007, 09:58 PM
Moved On

thanks loup
Old 11/21/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Its good responsibility within the community to not willfully pass around "fishtank herpies" and to be on the honor system.

Some will remember when I realized I had redbugs while selling a few pieces I put the sales on hold until they get treated.

Just like antibiotics, I fear that most of these pests will develop resistant strains to our current methods, so people need to take pests VERY seriously and it is up to the individual to ensure what you put in your tank is clean.

Which is why dipping and QT tanks are HIGHLY recommended. Otherwise it is buyer beware.

Just do your best to never to pass anything on knowingly and give full disclosure.

As a community, we are all at risk. Being the reefing community has changed in the last few years, it is still somewhat still grassroots, and people would be amazed how fast you can be "cut off" by not being forthright and trustworthy in you endeavors.

However, accidents will happen and we all need to be aware and not to burn someone at the stake if it does happen. Unless it is malicous and one has the proof of it, I would suggest not to run peoples good name through the gutter unless there is a real fear of ignorance or lack or carring in the matter just to make a buck.

Isolated istances will happen and if you trade, eventually you will be on each end of the situation.

Its up to each of us to make the "buck stop" at your tank both comming and going, taking this personal responsibility is the only one you can control.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:09 PM
><

Exactely Dots!!!

Fat Happy Trigger = New Frag Daily
Old 11/21/2007, 10:11 PM
Moved On

For me Dots I would never do that to anyone on purpose. One guy started a untrue (if thats a word) rumor.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:22 PM
Moving Along

I had a feeling I would get sucked into this If you really want to get into it I will be more than obliged, but would highly recommend we let this thread die, because it only has the potential to get uglier, trust me..

If anything should be taken from this thread it should be the loud echoing of Unarce's good advice. I suggest everyone lick their wounds, live and learn, and enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow with your folks and loved ones, and remember what is truly important! Let me know if this response is not enough.

-Justin
Old 11/21/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBCoach4
[B]Mr. "ned2getfish" is one of the most honest and knowledgeable reefers I know in this area. He will, and HAS gone out of his way to help out other reefers in the area. He has had at one time or another some the nicest, rarest, hard to keep corals in his collection.

You mean Dale??? You must be mistaken