Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

75 gal setup

I'm putting together a 75 gal AGA w/built in overflows reef tank.
I am looking for some advise on my setup.

lights ---- icecap 660 w/ 4 VHO'S around 400watts.

skimmer --- excaliber hang on back up to 160 gals.

refuge 20gal long dumping into a sump..

I need info on ??????? ---------------------------------------------------
---> I am thinking about using both pre-drilled holes in tank as drains and use a mag drive 18 to feed a squid which im hoping will give me a wave affect. If need be I have 3 aqua clear powerheads for extra water movement I could use also.

mag drive 18 at 6' puts out 1150 and squid claims it that-- The SCWD will run on any pump with a minimum output of 50 GPH and a maximum output of 1400.

Any advise or feed back would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 02/20/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

I don't think you want that much water running through your sump. I had a Mag 9.5 on a 20 long with baffles, and I still had bubbles. On larger tanks, sump return just doesn't seem to be a good place to get water moving in the display. At least in my experience.

the little read house is just my myspace, I do not have a cool reef website yet ):
Old 02/20/2007, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

maybe drop down to a mag 7 ?
Old 02/20/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

I think that would work fine. I'm pretty sure that is what I have on there right now. It isn't a lot of flow, but I also don't have bubles, and that makes me very happy lol.

the little read house is just my myspace, I do not have a cool reef website yet ):
Old 02/20/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Mag 5 would even be enough for your return. I would also get a different skimmer. I know the skimmer is rated for 160G, but it is no where near cabable of anything remotely close to that. You have a sump, so go with an in-sump skimmer and forget the HOB.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

nataz,
What type of reef are you looking for? If SPS, you will need lots of flow... I have a very similair setup. I have a 20 gallon sump, a 20 gallon refugium, and a 75 gallon main tank. I use the standard 3 chambered sump, so here is how I have it set up. 75 gallon corner over flow, delivers to my sump in first chamber where I have a Euro Reef skimmer(in sump). In my second chamber, I have a mag 7 which has a custom pvc dual delivery up 4 feet to my 20 gallon refugium. I have an external overflow on the refugium, which delivers to the 3rd chamber of my sump, where I have a mag 9.5 returning to the 75 gallon main tank. I also have a seio 1500 in my main tank, 2 penguin 1140(350gph) and a maxijet 1200. A total of aproximately 3500 gph total turnover in main tank. I have a mixed reef, mostly SPS, and am still contemplating more flow. I agree w/ Craig Lambert about the hang on skimmer. Utilize your sump, and add a powerful skimmer like a Euro Reef for ex. Your lighting should be good for any type reef, for the most part, depending on coral placement. Good luck, sounds like you have a good game plan.....
Perry