Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 05/08/2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Coral Rabbitfish

I just got one of these in a week ago. Boy, is it gorgeous! I am a huge rabbitfish fan, anyway...
So, my question is are these really rare or what because I have never seen one in any LFS or for sale anywhere. Does any one else have one?
Old 05/08/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

pic:
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fi...h/sstuderi.htm
Old 05/08/2006, 04:09 PM
Team RC Member

Our lfs has one, nfs---and he's gorgeous. Congrats. Those aren't easy to find.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/09/2006, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

congrads on the pick up. i am also a big rabbit fan. They arnt rare but not common. a lot of store's dont bring them in because they don't sell to well. why i got no clue. I have a golden rabbitfish which has great personality. I can't wait to see a pic of your's. How is his personality?
Old 05/09/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I love the Golden Rabbits! I have only seen those once, in Austin,TX. I have one Scribbled (Vigrate), One Magnificent, one Gold-Blotch (dark green with gold blotches), and now one Coral Rabbit. Of course, they are all in different tanks! I'll post a pic today, after I move him into a tank with tons of grape calurpa! So far he's really shy, and camoflages at the drop of a hat. This one must be a juvi, because his spots are still just around his face, and not his body.
Old 05/09/2006, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Re: Coral Rabbitfish

Quote:
Originally posted by ImAFinAddict
I just got one of these in a week ago. Boy, is it gorgeous! I am a huge rabbitfish fan, anyway...
So, my question is are these really rare or what because I have never seen one in any LFS or for sale anywhere. Does any one else have one?
I've got a Siganus virgatus on the way.

Here is a good article on rabbit fish that talks about the limited availablity of rabbitfish and how he is trying to change that:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rabbitfi.htm

Quote:
If you've spent any time looking through fish magazines and books you know that there are far more types of "fishes in the sea" than offered to the hobby. Ever ask yourself, "Why is that?" Maybe other kinds of aquatic life are, un-catchable, shippable, uneconomical, too hard to keep??? Well, it ain't necessarily so. I'm here to tell you that there are MANY more fishes, not to mention non-fishes that can and will be added to the markets over time. This article is an attempt at speeding up that rate for one family, the Rabbitfishes. But for one possibly problematical trait (venomous fin spines) these fishes make great aquarium additions
Here is another great article on Rabbitfish:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hcs3/index.php
Old 05/10/2006, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of my rabbitfish schooling in my 130G, 1 golden rabbitfish, 1 scribbled rabbitfish, 1 whitespotted rabbitfish, and 1 majastic foxface. Has anyone else had more then one in there tank and have they schooled also?

Old 05/12/2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

That is freakin awesome! I had a magnificent and a scribble together for 8 months, both the same size. I never saw them fighting, but one day the scribble was dead. They were the only fish in there besides an algae blenny. I have never tried putting them together again. BTW, no pictures since I have moved him into the other tank. He is still stressing, so pics would do him no justice...hopefully he'll chill out by this weekend.
Old 05/14/2006, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Here is a shot of my new Virgate Rabbitfish(Siganus virgatus) currently in my QT.

Old 05/14/2006, 12:21 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

This is the one I have: Siganus guttatus
Old 05/14/2006, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
This is the one I have: Siganus guttatus
Those are beautiful fish. Do you have any photos of yours?
Old 05/14/2006, 01:52 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Mike- I dont think that is a virgate, looks more like a doliatus to me. Those vertical lines are a giveaway to the doliatus. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding these two species, I've even noticed a lot of fish retailers usually arent sure what they have.
Old 05/14/2006, 02:37 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
Mike- I dont think that is a virgate, looks more like a doliatus to me. Those vertical lines are a giveaway to the doliatus. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding these two species, I've even noticed a lot of fish retailers usually arent sure what they have.
Yep. The fish, above, is doliatus.

This is virgatus (identified by the blue spots)...

Old 05/14/2006, 04:34 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

This is mine:

Old 05/14/2006, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I know that they get confused a lot. I had a feeling it was a doliatus. Here is where I purchased mine from:

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expa...Code=01-2512-S

Beautiful fish Freed.