Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/09/2008, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Sumpless with Success?

How do you all feel about having a successful mixed reef without a sump?

I began my first mixed reef on the first of September 2007. I have a 55 gallon tank with a 4x54 tek light and a CSS 125.

So far things have been going great. Even better since I got my own RO machine and better powerheads.

I have been getting into SPS lately. I now have 3 digi's 3 monti caps and 3 acropora's. The rest of my corals are a variety of LPS and Softies.

I do a 7 gallon water change at least once a week.

Can I have long term success without a sump? My tank is not reef ready and I will not upgrade until I can move from an apartment into a house. I really want to grow this tank out well so I can have a really good excuse to move up to a 90 gallon tank.

Also, I have three fish. Two baby clowns, a mature diamond goby, two cleaner shrimp, 35 hermits, and 35 snails.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I have had a 30 gallon SPS tank for almost 2 years without a sump. I think it is doing well. I'm getting very good growth and not bad colours.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

I have a 65 reef (mostly SPS) with no sump and no problem; certinly not a requirement at all. However, my next setup will have a sump for a lot of reasons but none of them are for water quality. (mostly to get stuff out of my tank..heaters, HOB skimmer, HOB refug, etc)

Might be ok but I would keep the Acro's at the top of the tank with that lighting.

Good luck!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

A sump is not a *requirement* for a successful tank, it mainly makes things easier. A few advantages of a sump are it increases the overall volume of the system, provides additional area to remove wastes (i.e. LR, DSB, macroalgae) that is out of sight. Is a great place to "hide" pumps, skimmers, dosing equip etc. and provides a location to top off etc.

Of course the display tank can function for any of these, so basically I would say that you don't *need* a sump, but it might require a little more work, and not be as clean looking.

Since your tank isn't drilled, if you want a sump you could try some of the siphon overflows like this to set up a sump http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~CR1511.html
Old 01/09/2008, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Yeah my only real beef with having no sump is having the heater and the skimmer hanging in the tank. They take up a lot of space and are not aesthetically pleasing.

I am considering sticking a bunch of cheato back behind some of my rockwork in an area that gets some light but not a place that a coral would go.

Currently I am growing out some dragons tongue algae and hoping to weave it throughout all of my rockwork for a unique look.