Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield

Old 01/07/2008, 07:29 PM
SEAS President

Tornadic thunder storms.

If anyone looses power, My # is 268-0846. You can call anytime tonght, and if I still have power, I have the room for temp housing of your critters...

Jason
Old 01/08/2008, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Nasty storms we had last night. I hope everyone made it through ok.

~Joseph
Old 01/08/2008, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Jason,

My electricity went off and on like 20 times between 2:30-4:00 this morning. Apparently I finally have everything hooked up correctly because I did not have any floods and all pumps were still working as of 7:00! Great news. Wow am I going to be tired today.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:38 AM
SEAS President

I say that... call me! lol.. We had a tornado go through the backyard last night. It uprooted trees, knocked fences over, and sailed a trampoline from cherry street into the backyard two doors down from me. The trampoline hit a fence and got all twisted up. My power was out from 3:00 am until a few minutes ago. Heres a few pics. In one of them you can basically see the path the tornado took. No house damage for us though. We were lucky. I would call it shear winds, but everything it touched went a different direction. scared the begeezers outta me!

Note the tree and fence in this one.. Taken from my back porch:

And whats left of the trampoline:

Hope everyone came out OK..

Jason
Old 01/08/2008, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

yea we had one touch down where i live, ended up with some roof damage. now weve got flooding down the hill
Old 01/08/2008, 11:14 AM
Soup Nazi

you should beat your kid for leaving his basketball outside!!!

no really - that's amazing to see all that power - we're only a few blocks south of you and just got HARDCORE wind
Old 01/08/2008, 03:01 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

Glad you and your family are ok Jason .

When the sirens turned on, there wasn't anything going on outside. It was calm and no rain. About 20 or 30 minutes later the sirens were still going, it was raining and blowing some, and my cat took off for the basement. When I looked out of the window a little bit later it was raining and blowing like hell horizontally from north to south and there was weird aqua colored glowing lightning flashes. I flipped on the lights to go to the basement and they started turning on and off like a poltergeist. That was weird.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:15 PM
SEAS President

Thanks.. That was just a little too close for comfort. I don't know what I dislike worse. Earthquakes, or tornadoes... At least the tank has a better chance of survivng the tornadoes.

Jason
Old 01/09/2008, 02:17 AM
Premium Member

wow. I didnt even know all this happened. I had better call home later this morning and make sure everyone made it ok.

I am sitting here between columbus and cincinatti Ohio waiting for the same storms.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I made it through the storms great, then last night I hear a loud pop. Apparently resulted in no electricity from 11:30 - 7:30 this morning. For some reason We blew a fuse on the box outside? I called the city and they said it would take a while so then I called a friend who works for the city and he can out and fixed it at 7:30 this morning. Anyone know what would cause one to go bad?

I heated up tank water in both tanks twice last night. (on the stove) Plus I turned the gas oven on and left it open for part of the night. The 75 got down to 70 degrees but the other one was a lot closer to the oven so it only dropped to 75 degrees.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:12 AM
SEAS President

Note to self. Next major purchase - Power backup of some sort. Generators are fine, but LOUD. Need something quiet. Maybe solar battery backup..

Jason
Old 01/10/2008, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I have been thinking of the "Guardian" system that runs off of natural gas and is completely automated. Kind of expensive but if this kind of weather (Ice Storms, Tornadoes) is going to be the norm it would be a good investment.

We made it through with some roof damage and several trees in our backyard uprooted. One of them landed on our neighbors house. We also acquired a tree from ????? Landed in our creek, roots and all. Power was out for about an hour. Phone is still out and will not be back up until at least Saturday.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:02 PM