Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/06/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Clownfish breeding stories

Would like to hear everyones experiences with.

If you have tried it how did it go.
If you are still doing it what has made it successful.
If you failed doing it

Any story you have about breeding clownfish I would like to hear about it. The good band and the ugly

Thanks

FB
Old 01/06/2008, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Bump. I wanna hear some.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

me too
Old 01/06/2008, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

i have a few. gimme a second
Old 01/06/2008, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Ok here's an idea.. Everyone add a line.

Once upon a time, there were two clownfish......
Old 01/06/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

who lived in a nice RBTA down Acro Alley......
Old 01/06/2008, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

the first rule of thumb is to never have clowns in a tank smaller than a 20 gallon Long tank or a 29 gallon tank, the latter preferred.
next, never have an unmated pair: to do this buy a pair, add a group of at least 4 depending on the size of tank, the more the better and then let them pair off, finally buy a really large and really small clown.

after this it gets kinda cloudy on the exact way of how to do this as there are MULTIPLE options.

i always have a sand bed of AT LEAST 2 INCHES, NEVER LESS and have had many successful spawnings. it's important to keep ammonia and nitrates at 0 and <5, respectively. the lower the better sucess rate.

next most important to me has been the lighting cycle. whether you're using NO, HO, VHO, T5, PC, MH make sure that it is on a daily cycle. i've always had the best success with running a blue and white led throughout the day so that when the lights go off, they immediately have moonlight. theyre breeding is based on the cycle of the moon. make sure you vary the distance of the lighting, and have only a new moon one night a spawning cycle. you can react the moon cycle of 31 days into 14 days as long as you keep it constant. i always leave my blues directly on the tank, as they are submersible. i also have a white moonlight that varies in distance, based on the moon cycle outside. clownfish will breed as often as every 12 days if properly "seduced."

make sure that you feed them very small amounts frequently, especially if you have an anemone because clowns will take large pieces to their anemones. i've never had an anemone BUT have seen excellent success with them. make sure that you have had an established tank for at least a year.

these are the steps summed up to get them into the mood. after that there are many steps to take, the first being the decision of what to do with the eggs

im leaving work at midnite, but i'll continue this tomorrow. have a goodnite.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

they had a son, Coolio Clownfish......
Old 01/06/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

i wanna hear some tooo i am hoping to breed some when i get them, what is the easiest clownfish to breed?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

My two clowns are spawning. I'm going to attempt to raise a batch of eggs but don't really know if it is worth it to go further than that.

The last batch hatched about three days ago and I have since placed a tile over their spot. They have been preping the tile for two days now. The female has become very big and it should happen very soon

Here's a pic

and the thread that disusses it.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271881

But I would like to hear from real people and the problems and troubles they have had and if they were able to do it successfully.

FB
Old 01/07/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Mine lay eggs every two weeks or so. I didn't do anything special and don't have an anenome (they host in frog spawn).
Old 01/07/2008, 01:46 AM
Team RC Member

FB

ill see if i can get Barb my GF to take some time to post here. she does all the clown fish stuff but hates the computer since she's on one all day. if she refuses then ill summarize our experiences

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

My clarkii pair are in a 37 cube with two large GBTAs under MH lighting. The lay eggs every 12 to 13 days. I have no moonlights or special light cycle.

I'm not sure what kind of stories you are looking for. The key to raising the fry will be following some proven methodologies (as pointed to in the other thread).

Seems like kind of a hassle to me personally (more tanks, dedicated time and attention, making rotifers, etc.) but lots of people do it and derive great pleasure from it. Surely you will get more responses and solid information in the clownfish/anemone forum (a better place for this thread, in my humble opinion).

Good luck. I will enjoy reading of your success.