Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Most personable fish

what is the most personable fish you have ever owned? i just want to hear everyones opinions and stories for fun

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 12/04/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

my porcupine puffer has the best personality of any fish I've seen in person. There should be a thread a few pages back called puffer anticts, it has some videos of it doing funny stuff.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

My tasseled filefish and all my puffers
Old 12/04/2007, 07:26 PM
Moved On

my picasso trigger is awesome, except that he bites
Old 12/04/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

tasseled filefish is kind of a curve ball, my LFS had one that they were trying to get rid of, he was awesome, but i only have a 55 as of now =/

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 12/04/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

My queen trigger has the best personality of any fish that i have ever owned.Even if she kills everyone in my tank one day, i will keep her till the day she passes.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

latazyo: go sharks
Old 12/04/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

My yellow tang. He follows my finger around the front glass and lets me rub his sides/spin him around with the turkey baster. He also isn't afraid of my hand in the tank nor the fish net.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

thats one cool yellow tang, sounds like he has killer personality, that is very cool

..... I really like my Blue tang pair, but they are nothing like that !!
Old 12/05/2007, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

second for porcupine puffer, mine is like a member of the family
Old 12/05/2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

My porc by far.
Then my dwarf puffers.
Then my emperor angel, or my little baby lionhead goldfish.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

My harlequin tusk. You wouldn't think it, but he is. He is mean to everyone but looks at me so innocently that it's just funny, lets me pet him, and is hilarious at feeding time. I love that fish, as awful as he is.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:36 AM
Team RC Member

When you say "personable" do you mean a fish that has the most personality - or do you mean the fish that interacts most with you (i.e. impressionable)

Of the various species I've owned, here goes:

Best character - orange spot goby. like a little person... built his own home (piled up sand and rubble to make a cave - king of like a beaver!). Kept his little home tidy - like certain tankmates, not others. not in the slightest bit bothered by people (hands etc.). Always out and about, sifting sand, going about his business in a meaningful way. Truly cool little fish, with TONNES of character.

Most interactive with people - gotta be my emporer angel. This is my second emporer, and teh previosu was the exact same. Truly recognises me as distinct from my wife. Also recognises what I am holding i.e. blue cup = food, net = maintenance, and reacts accordingly i.e. swims to the top, or dives for cover. He watches whats going on outside, and when strangers get too close he hides.... but he lets me stare with my face against the glass..... will follw me up and down the tank as I walk past..... then there is his "fishy"character - a very "purposeful" fish - not just mindless cruising.... everything he does apepars to have motive..... and there is the grunting etc. too.

And finally, very much to my surprise, the fish least bothered by me..... a copper band butterfly. Would literally swim into my hand for food - refused to get out of the way when doing maintence - he just used to hang around my hand like a dog hanging around a ***** in heat!

There was also a clarkii clown that thought a sacrophyton mushroom was an anemone......

Matt
Old 12/05/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I think angels have a great personality and character. I had a baby huma huma trigger, he was cool, but nothing like my angels. Never owned a puffer before though.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

My most personable fish was my Porcupine puffer. This guy was like a little puppy. He let me hold him and scratch his head and belly. He ate out of my hand exclusively.

My Blueline trigger had a TON of personality and was very interesting and had a lot of personality.

My favorite fish are my angels by far though. Each of them have very distinct personalities.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Porcupine puffers are by far the best. I had one that got too big and distructive for my reef tank, and I had to return him to my LFS. My tank seemed empty without him, so I got a new baby porc to replace him.

It seems like a lot of fish can tell people (and people's arms)apart. My foxfaces rush to their algae clip when they see me approaching the tank. If it's anyone else, they usually turn brown and hide.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Majority of puffers.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

My fave has always been porkies.

Was in a lfs last week and they had a black ribbon eel. As soon as he saw a person walk by he'd swim out and stare at you - whereever you went, his head (and 1/4 of his body) followed, mouth agape, hoping for food. It was kind of creepy, but REALLY cool. The shop owner said he can hand feed him.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

He's a Camera Hog

Definantly my Sri-Lanka Emperor Angel has the most personality out of any fish in the tank....

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 12/06/2007, 06:55 AM
Team RC Member

jnc914

sweet emporer - how big is he?

Matt
Old 12/06/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

that angel is amazing im getting anxious i have a orange tail emporer on order at a lfs that will be here in a few days i cant wait.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

mattsilvester- He is currently around 5.5 inches and getting thick. He devours PE Mysis and clam. I bought sponge from the LFS, but he hardly touched it.

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 12/06/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful emp! He is one of my most personal fish along with my idol.
Old 12/07/2007, 03:45 AM
Team RC Member

jnc914 - nice size. Mine is a shade under 5" at the moment, and by my estimation he's about 6 months away from adult. I've been following the progress of some one elses fish for a few months now, and mine is mirroring their progress, just 6 months behind.....

I hope my guys colours are as vibrant as yours......

Matt
Old 12/07/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

emporer snapper, he was the bomb.