Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Fire shrimpies

Can fire shrimp go with other shrimp, I was told they might be aggressive towards other kinds and maybe even small fish. Is this true? I just put one in my 12g nano
Old 10/25/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

fire shrimp should be fine with other shrimp and small fish. i got one but it always hide inside a cave and only come out when i feed the tank. i like scarlet skunk shrimp better
Old 10/25/2007, 10:45 PM
Nothing to put here

I had a pair that killed three cleaner shrimp on two separate occasions, but apparently this is not the norm.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:04 AM
Jub Jub

I have a fire shrimp with a peppermint shrimp. They have been living peacefully for at least 2 months.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

I have a cleaner and coral banded and can't find my fire anywhere after adding it 3 days ago!
Old 10/26/2007, 12:38 AM
Jub Jub

They are really good at hiding. When I had a fireshrimp in my 12 gallon he was everywhere that was his tank. I could even hand feed him where it would come to me. I thought it was really cool. In my 75 its a different story. It decided to find a nice spot on the back side of some live rock where I cannot see it. I sometimes see it wondering looking for food in other places.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

I have a fire shrimp, a peppermint and 2 cleaners. All get along fine, but my tank is big with a lot of rockwork so they all stay to their own areas. The fire shrimp is *always* hiding, it's a shame because they're the most beautiful, but you just never see them.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

I had one in 20g XH (footprint of 10g tank, twice high), with small percula clown, valentini puffer, cleaner wrasse without problems.

Before fish it horsed around without fear, after adding fish started to hide (larger animals?).

By the way, I have two kinds of the blood shrimp - stocky very dark and slender bright red - the last is more pet-like, comes to eat from hands, hides less. While on quarantine in shallow 4g container, it came to take a food, take a look what is going on - communicative creature.

They grow big - slightly less than 3", nose to end of the tail, plus antennae ~3" each, will be not too much space for other shrimp in 12g. Pincers still very small.

You may have it without fish at all, or, if tank is safe, the group of sexy shrimps.
Just a thought.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

I've had good luck with fire shrimp mixing with other kinds of shrimp (the notable exception being my coral banded shrimp, whom I had to give away he was such a problem).

As it stands, my fire shrimp is currently in my roommate's tank (because I gave it to him to save him from the clawful wrath of the coral banded demon), and there are also several peppermint shrimp in there.

Before giving it to my roommate, I had him in my tank with several peppermints and a skunk cleaner. I would say that *typically* they are fine community citizens.

But as mentioned, they are rarely seen fine community citizens.
Old 10/26/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

are they cleaner shrimp as well?