Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Calcium and Alk help

Currently have a system with total water volume of 550 gallons. Right now I have a 20 gallon top off tank that I fill with RO water and add Seachem Reef advantage calcium about 7 caps. I also add Seachem reef carbonate every few days to my overflow about 4 caps. The 20 gallon top off tank takes about a week to empty. My calcium stays between 370 - 390 and my alk hovers around 3 meq/l to 3.5 meq/l. I also us IO salt. I want an easier system to maintain calc and alk and mag and don't have the funds for a calc reactor right now. Can you guys help?

I was thinking about adding kalwasser to my top off tank but I don't know a good kind or how much to add. I know kalk can increase the ph quickly and want to be careful. What do you guys think?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

with that water volume i would say go with a two part dosing system. Kalk wont maintain that alone. i use randys mix for the alk and would get some calcium chloride from twopartsolution. there is a sticky at the top of the forum that explains how everything works. but i would also save for a Ca reactor, easyer in the long run.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Try Kents Turbo calcium to bring calcium up. Unless your having pH problems I would stay away from Kalkwasser. Also you don't have any experience in its use. Do you have a lot of sps in the tank?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:59 PM
Reef Chemist

Unless your having pH problems I would stay away from Kalkwasser.

Why do you suggest that?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

yea i dont understand that statment either.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I thought the kalk would help maintain calcium and alkalinity while causing ph to slightly rise. A slight rise in ph won't hurt me as it typically runs at 8.1 - 8.2 during the day and about .1 less at night. I was hoping to add something to my topoff water as that is easy from a maintenance and dosing standpoint until I get a calc reactor. The tank is a mixed reef and doesn't have a ton of SPS, however, I have been adding it at a steady pace and would like to continue. I have looked into a two part solution, especially the one from Warner Marine, but not sure about dosage amount and long term cost. I understand that longterm, as calc reactor is probably the most cost effective and easiest route. Can i start with kalk in the twenty gallon top off tank? And if I do what would you recommend and what else can I us if I need something else. I can always continue with what I am doing, just thought their might be an easier and more effective way before I get the reactor.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:56 PM
Reef Chemist

I thought the kalk would help maintain calcium and alkalinity while causing ph to slightly rise. A slight rise in ph won't hurt me as it typically runs at 8.1 - 8.2 during the day and about .1 less at night.

It is a perfect choice for that application, assuming it is added slowly enough. How does your top off system work? I dose it from an 88 gallon pair of trash cans plumbed together, using a dosing pump on a float switch in the sump.

A DIY two part, limewater, and CaCO3/CO2 reactors are the cheapest ways to supplement large systems.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

That is what I thought....I have a float valve on my sump and a drip line from the twenty gallon top system feed sinto the sump. The water level in the sump and the float valve determine the amount of drip into the sump. How much kalk should I start with in the topoff tank so as to not increase the ph too much and what brand would you recommend. I will be moving to the reactor in the future, but like I said, I am looking for something in the meantime.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:58 PM
Reef Chemist

Any food grade lime or quicklime is OK. For a mixed system, I'd start at about 1 teaspoon per gallon of fresh water.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Would some kalk powder from Seachem or kent work O.k? Also do I just put the powder into the topoff tank or do I need to mix it real well.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:17 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, those are also likely fine. Dissolve a teaspoon or so in a gallon of top off water and add it very slowly (as in dripping if possible).

I detail more here:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm
Old 01/08/2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Thanks... so for my topoff tank that is twenty gallons could I add 20 teaspoons. I would start with much less but this should work as that tank slower drips into the sump as the water from the system evaporates.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:55 AM
Reef Chemist

That sounds like a fine plan. Raise or lower the amount of solids added based on the tank alkalinity, also making sure the pH does not get too high. The max is about 2 level teaspoons per gallon as more will not dissolve.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Perfect...Once my topoff tank empties, I will start this up and go slowly. Thank you for your help and I let eveyone know if ?I have any more questions.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:12 AM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

Good luck.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks..What do you know about Salifert's All in One...I read the article you posted on another thread and this seems expensive but also very easy for the time being. Also, an overdose does not seem as detrimental as it does not effect ph like the kalk.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:19 PM
Reef Chemist

Easy and expensive for all but a small tank. Make sure you keep it well aerated and do not dose just before (or during) a power failure.

It will contribute to a slightly lower pH overall.

I would not use it for a high demand tank without spacing the doses out a lot to prevent too much O2 depletion all at once.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I think I'll just stay away and go with the Kalk solution.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:47 PM
Reef Chemist

Good luck.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help