Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2006, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Xenia mounting

I have a small Xenia frag that I want to attach to some LR. Is it ok to glue it, or are there better ways? Right now I am letting it recover from the trip and it seems to be doing ok. Its so small I am worried that it will be difficult to glue.
Old 10/09/2006, 02:47 PM
secretary of NCPARS

if you let it rest on some rubble in a protected area of the tank they attach themselves.i have the best mortality with this method.some people glue,i think losses are high IMO
Old 10/09/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

IMO, you will have a hard time gluing a xenia frag. They get too slimy. I have had the best luck using a toothpick. I literally stab the xenia from the head all the way thru the stock & then stick the end of the toothpick into a small hole in the LR rubble. In about a weeks time, the xenia has attached to the LR and the toothpick can be removed.

Using the above method, I had problems with the xenia sliding up the toothpick, thus causing the base to come off the LR. To counter this, I wrap a small rubber band around the top of the toothpick & push it down to the head of the xenia so there's no room for it to slide. Using this method, I can successfully frag xenia.

Speaking of which, I need to frag my xenia....but I also need to get rid of some of the xenia frags I have already! These things grow way too fast.

hth,
rob
Old 10/09/2006, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

right now its in a breeder net thing with a small piece of LR, it hangs about 5" below the surface of the water. I was hoping that it would eventually attach to it.
Old 10/09/2006, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Here it is in the middle of three small pieces of LR. How long will it take for it to attach? It doesnt look great now as I was moving it around a bit to try some options out. Anyway here is a pic, I plan to leave it alone for a while if needed.

Old 10/10/2006, 01:28 PM
secretary of NCPARS

it takes a couple of days when conditions are perfect.2 weeks at the most.IMO
Old 10/10/2006, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

It looks like it has attached tonight, if all goes well in the morning I will move it out of the breeder net.
Old 10/11/2006, 09:06 AM
secretary of NCPARS

if it attached give it a couple of extra days because sometimes when you move them too early they release.patience will save you a loss.
Old 10/11/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

needle and thread it works every time!!
Old 10/11/2006, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

I use rubberbands untill they attach.. making lil frags of xeina very easy rubber band for like 3 days and boom your done....