Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 07:32 PM
Tank Collector

Talking Today was a good day... I know, I took long enough...

Well, I can finally say that I am no longer tankless or between tanks... I got the call from Matt over at ShoTank that the stuff I ordered awhile ago came in and I finally went to go and get it...

My back is hurting abit from this thing (whoever said they put it onto a stand by themselves must be Mr. Olympia) but I couldn't be more excited than I am today.... Well, maybe once I get water into it.

Now I just need to get to the store and buy a bunch of 2x6's and 2x4's and get to making a stand... Who's gonna help me lift this damn thing onto the stand is all I need to know... I'm not moving it again with just myself and my brother.

So far my parts list is as follows:

1 - AGA 180 RR tank
3 - Lumenbright mini reflectors
3 - 250w Reeflux 12K bulbs
3 - ARO electronic MH ballasts
1 - ARO VHO ballast for (2) 6' VHO
2 - 6' VHO actinic bulbs
1 - Little giant 4-MDQX-SC return pump
140 - pounds of Marco Rock
210 - pounds of Aragamax sand

I think thats about it so far... I'm going to make a sump out of a 75g tank, and should be getting a new skimmer for Christmas....

Hopefully I can have water in and cycling mid/end of January at the latest.

Who wants to volunteer their services helping me make the 140 pounds of marco rock not look like total crap ??
Old 12/16/2007, 07:40 PM
Male Gigolo

When is this all going down?

I think you should do it all tonight. O)
Old 12/16/2007, 07:44 PM
Frag-a-holic

If you didn't live so far away I would help with the stand. I guess you are on your own.

Congrats on getting a start. I am looking forward to seeing it with some water in it. You might want to set up a couple buckets and start cycling the rock now, or maybe a 100g stock tank?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/16/2007, 07:46 PM
Pufferkrazy!

You moved that yourself?
Old 12/16/2007, 07:51 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by sellout007
When is this all going down?

I think you should do it all tonight. O)

I wish I could do it all tonight, but it's time to relax and watch some football... I gotta make sure my fantasy team keeps whoopin on Joe's.

I wish I could start the cycling now, but I just don't have the room at the moment. Nor the desire to start a stock tank in the house... I figure after I get the new skimmer and get the rock aquascaped, It'll be 3 weeks or so for the cycle, MAYBE a month.... nothing that'll kill me... Ive been changing my mind this much, whats another month.

Im guessing Ill have the stand built (not skinned) this week, and then I'm hoping to find a 75g to have Rod work his magic on once I get my skimmer so we can see how big to make the chamber for it, etc....

Needless to say it's finally coming together...

Thanks to Sho-Tank and everyone who's helped me with all my decisions and mind changes...
Old 12/16/2007, 07:53 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
You moved that yourself?
Good God no.... Me and my brother moved it... wait, now that I think about it, I basically did move it myself.

Sorry Cr33p, I couldn't resist.

If I ever do another tank this size, i'm definitely going to use more people or buy acrylic.

Where's Garen when you need him ???
Old 12/16/2007, 09:12 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Re: Today was a good day... I know, I took long enough...

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
My back is hurting abit from this thing (whoever said they put it onto a stand by themselves must be Mr. Olympia)
No, just a steel worker...

And it was only a 180, not a 210...

LMK when the tank is ready for some rock. You're a ways away, but I might be able to swing on out to help a brotha pimp his tank.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/16/2007, 09:23 PM
Frag-a-holic

BATC, this is not a good week for my Fantasy team at all. All my heavy hitters(Romo, Moss, Addai) had terrible games. I forfiet. Not really, but oh well. I guess I will be in the losers bracket even though I went into the playoffs as the top seed.

Old 12/16/2007, 09:25 PM
Tank Collector

You'll definitely be getting a call, I really like how your aquascaping is in your 180 pico...

On a side note, my back is now KILLING me.... I thought I lifted it properly but I guess I had bad form for a minute...

Oh well, atleast I didnt hear anything POP, then I would be worried...
Old 12/16/2007, 09:26 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
BATC, this is not a good week for my Fantasy team at all. All my heavy hitters(Romo, Moss, Addai) had terrible games. I forfiet. Not really, but oh well. I guess I will be in the losers bracket even though I went into the playoffs as the top seed.
You're telling me, Im going to lose in my pay league because all my good players had horrible weeks... I have Romo, Addai, and Welker and combined they put up like 13 points.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:28 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
OT

Just as long as AP rolls on the Bears tomorrow, and Orton throws some picks to the Vikings D, I will be in my FF superbowl.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:45 PM
Frag-a-holic

Are we still going to do it for frags?

Old 12/16/2007, 09:51 PM
Tank Collector

No, it was just for fun this year because it was thrown together so quickly... I think if we get it together sooner next year we could get 10 or 12 teams instead of 8.....

That being said, if anyone wanted to donate me a frag when I get this tank cycled I wouldnt be opposed to it.

I still dont know the full stocking list, all I have on the list so far are a pair of Onyx clowns, purple tang, and a mystery wrasse..... I REALLY REALLY REALLY want an Emperator Angel but don't know if I should try one cause it may eat all my coral... Why does my all time favorite SW fish gotta eat coral ??
Old 12/16/2007, 09:53 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Once you are set up I will have plenty of purple and orange/red digi for ya.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:55 PM
Tank Collector

Forgot to ask.....

Joe, you're in the DIY section all the time, when you build a stand can you use pressure treated lumber, or is it not a good idea for some reason ??? I planned on painting it on the inside regardless but figured the extra protection couldnt hurt....
Old 12/16/2007, 10:00 PM
Frag-a-holic

I think you would be fine, but good straight stud grade is fine also. It is also cheaper. If you were really worried about the strength, I would go with laminated header boards. They are usually much straighter also.

Old 12/16/2007, 10:01 PM
Frag-a-holic

That sucks, I thought we were still doing it for frags.

Quote:
You'll definitely be getting a call, I really like how your aquascaping is in your 180 pico...
Thanks! I do what I can.

Glad you finally got her home.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Tank Collector

I was at HD for like 30 minutes looking through the 2x6's the other afternoon and I swear everyone of them were BRUTAL... I need to find a good batch of lumber that wont drive me crazy looking through.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I make all my stands and I use 3/4 birch on the outside with 2x4 hoops inside to secure that. My biggest with the design is a 220. Its amazing what plywood will hold, just look at the ones they sell you in the stores. I have also heard that you should stay away from pressure treated. It warps.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:22 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by fatmtbiker
I make all my stands and I use 3/4 birch on the outside with 2x4 hoops inside to secure that. My biggest with the design is a 220. Its amazing what plywood will hold, just look at the ones they sell you in the stores. I have also heard that you should stay away from pressure treated. It warps.
I know that plywood can hold a ton of weight, im just notorious at overbuilding stuff... I've always had to do it for my jobs, so I seem to always do it.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Good God no.... Me and my brother moved it... wait, now that I think about it, I basically did move it myself.

Sorry Cr33p, I couldn't resist.
You lifted part of it yourself, because you must have gotten into one of Dad's "superman" moods, thinking that you can lift it by yourself - out of sheer frustration.

Hope you enjoy the day off of work today, ya pansy.

And the guy that said he lifted it himself is a B.S. liar... I don't care what kind of union you belong to... unless it is the Brotherhood of Laborers on Krypton, of course.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by N3gative Cr33p
And the guy that said he lifted it himself is a B.S. liar...
Hey man, some got it and some don't.

Just cause I'm behind a monitor, doesn't mean I can't pick up more than a mouse! Look at hansy!
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/17/2007, 12:23 PM
Tank Collector

I wish I were there to see you do it.... I know most of it was trying to balance the weigt correctly which im sure you do your fair share of being a steel worker....

All I know is that damn thing is HEAVY... I think my new motto is going to be "Looking at over 100 gallons ??? Go acrylic."
Old 12/17/2007, 12:27 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

if you need help ill help