Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2002, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Open Brain Wilting Away

I've read lots of threads about open brains and how strong and hardy they are. I've had mine for about 2 months now, it looked great for a while, but lately over the past 3 weeks it has started to go. First I notice the flesh had receded on a small part, but now it all seems so skinny that you can see the skeleton through it. At night it still blows up and the feeder tentacles still come out. I fed it small pieces of shrimp and watched 2 of it's 3 mouths eat about a week ago.
Everything else in the tank is fine. All water conditions are good and I know my lighting is not too strong for the brain. Is it possible it's not strong enough. 440 watts of VHO in a 75 gal. The lights are due to be changed out but I'm waiting to do a new setup with MH. It sits on the sandbed. As I said it looks pretty bad right now. How will I know when & if its gone.

Thanks
Hef
Old 05/16/2002, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

You may want to move it a little closer to the lights. I bought an open brain at the LFS that was expiring and brought it home. I originally placed it on the DSB under 275w PC in a 50g and it looked worse, I thought it was a gonner. Then I placed it near the surface of my water column, gently shaded occasionally by a colt coral. Now it is awesome looking. BTW, it's been a year since the LFS rescue.

Yes dear, it's another tank...No dear, I don't know where it's gonna fit...Yes dear, I am addicted!
Old 05/16/2002, 07:35 PM
Reefer

i would try moving him up to i got mine about halfway up under 440 vho too and its doing great, how often do you feed it?

heres a pic
Old 05/17/2002, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I have only gotten mine to eat once. I guess it gets what it needs elsewhere.

Yes dear, it's another tank...No dear, I don't know where it's gonna fit...Yes dear, I am addicted!
Old 05/17/2002, 12:17 AM
Reefer

i feed mine like every couple days i just use small pieces of shrimp and kind rub it on its mouth and it will pull it in
Old 05/17/2002, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the brain

Old 05/17/2002, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Well I moved mine up near the top of my tank this morning. Hope it helps. They sure are pretty when they are healthy.

So how do these things grow? Do they just get larger or do they develpo more areas with mouths?
Any idea how old a brain is that is about 3 inches across? I'm thinking it must take quite a while to grow.

I usually feed mine once per week or 10 days.

Hef