Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Coralife Needle Wheel super Skimmer Need Reviews

I am thinking of buying a CSS 125 to use as a hang on for my tank and was wondering is this a good skimmer and how would you rate it from a scale of 5? 1 being dont buy it and 5 being awsome. Please help me before I place a order on it. thanks
Old 08/26/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

around a 2.5, get a D&D marine typhoon instead, much better and cheaper Get the anti-siphon kit and silencer from D&D if you do (they will send it for free)
Old 08/26/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

i bought a used one from a LFS for $80, being a beginner, i like it.
only prob i have is some micro bubbles. if you have a sump it is nothing to worry about.

i get a nice rotten egg smell out of it.

id give it a 4.
Old 08/26/2007, 02:02 AM
DIY Junkie

stock: 1.5, modded: 4
Old 08/26/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

.5 for me.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to know what other mods can be done to a CS I am going to get one used and would like to know how can I fix the overflowing problem?
Old 08/26/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Mine works good, mine's the 220 gallon model, but the box does overflow alot. I'm thinking of putting a different media in the box in hopes that it let's more water out faster and still break's up the bubble's. My tank water line is low right now because i didnt fill it all the way up in anticipation of adding rock and such. When my RO arrives I'm going to finish filling it.

For now the overflow box is sitting high almost out of the water, it keeps it from overflowing, the lower in the water it is, the sooner it will start overflowing.

Other than that, it seems to work pretty good. get's some nice dark gunk out. Just a pain to dial in at first.
Old 08/26/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I give it a 1 as is modded a 3.5.

Nestor
Old 08/26/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

whats the mod?
Old 08/26/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Being the first skimmer I've owned id rate it a 5. Haven't had any problems other then one overflow due to human error on my part.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I have one on my FOWLR tank. It pulls out junk, but every time I feed my tank it will either fill the cup half way or all of the way. I've tried rinsing my food, running dry, etc... but it continues to overflow when I feed. So, I get stuck emptying the cup every day or every other day. I did a minor fishing line mod and saw no difference. I'm planning to go a few more wraps around and see if it improves any. I would give it a 4 when it's behaving and 2 when it's not.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

what do you do with the fishing line?

I just clean mine every day and keep it a pretty good ways above the water line and it doesnt overflow now. I may switch to another material in the box too and see if that helps.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

There is a mod somewhere about the fishing line, they would use it and wrap it around the needle wheel so it can finely chop up bubles to make skimming more efficient.
Old 08/26/2007, 11:05 PM
DIY Junkie

I modded mine with mesh and gutter guard.

There have been no overflows, and no microbubbles, and it's pulling out some NASTY nog!
Old 08/26/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Sounds awsome, so how do you deal with the constant dialing and what do you do about the overflowing problems?
Old 08/27/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

For the $107 Dr's sale price I got it for last summer I give it a 4 and what was subtracted is simply because you must learn it to keep it from overflowing and acting right (like keeping the airport on the strainer clear, not using the bubble difuser, proper waterline ect). After the price hike the average price is now $170 there really is no reason at all to chose it over an octopus.

I can say a coralife 125SS, a 25w UV, 0.75" layer of live sand and 100lbs of liverock is all I have as filtration on my 100 gallon with four anthias, two tangs, midas blenny, crocea and derasa clams, about 13 SPS frags or small colonies, LPS , zoo's, pom pom xenia and mushrooms and I have never had any livestock or water quality issues (zero nitrates, phophates, no nuicance algae problems, nothings died ect.). All I do is 15g water changes every 2wks so my maintenence isn't extra ordinary. have to feed twice a day with anthias. that means it takes out enough for my needs. As long as sump level is consistant I dont have to mess with it much either.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

One of the biggest pieces of junk that is currently available for retail sale. -50
Old 08/27/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I'd say about a 3. Not the best skimmer in the market butnot bad either. I have used the CSS 220 and I think that it's a good value as long as it is used appropriately. It is really sensitive to water level changes (like many skimmers) and is best used in a constant level partition of a sump and should only be resting in about 4" of water. Also, the skimmers are really over-rated for their capacity. The CSS 125 would do a fine job on a smaller aquarium (30-55 gallons) IMHO. I wouldn't use it as a hang-on skimmer myself though because an overflow in my house is just not an acceptable risk for me.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I just replaced my urchin pro skimmer (that cost more) with the css 125 on my 92 corner tank and I love it so far. It's in my sump and has pulled out more skimmate in two weeks than the urchin did the whole 5 months I was using it. No micro bubbles, no mods, I don't even have any problems with adjusting it, which I think is due to having a very stable water level in my sump. I give it a 4.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:05 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
Sounds awsome, so how do you deal with the constant dialing and what do you do about the overflowing problems?
I just leave it set...constant water level is a must for this skimmer. With the mods, i skim dry, and have no overflow issues. DO NOT use the strainer on the ooutput for MB. with the mesh mod, it pulls far more air, si the flow is lower aand the MB never make it out of the skimmer.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

4 for me and I'm using the coralife 220 giving it a 5!
Old 08/28/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

I dont know why everyone is bagging on it in this thread. But from many other reviews I have read, the CSS is a great skimmer and not too expensive. If your ratings are because of the overflowing problem, as long as you followed the directions in the manual you should have no probs.
Old 08/28/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

I agree with you "west co reefer". I'm very happy with mine.
Old 08/28/2007, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

JCTewks,
Can you go in to some detail about the mesh mod you did. The material you used, how you fixed it to the needle wheel, did you remove some of the needles, that sort of info would be great.

I have an extra needle wheel for mine and I'd like to try it.

Thanks,
JB
Old 08/28/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

I have the 220 w/ a mesh modded gen-x 2700 and 1/2 in. venturi and It runs on a 22g nano I give it a 2.5 and w/o I give it a 1. after geting my P.M. bullet-2 I cant show much love.