Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Catching my own plankton?

I am planning on using a 75 micron net out in the bay to catch plankton. I would mix it other food then freeze it, just curious if this has been done/your thoughts on it.
Old 06/08/2007, 12:08 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Gross

I think some people have done it in CA, but I believe there was talk that it's illigal without a fishing permit. I also wouldn't catch from the bay, as the bay probably has a ton of pollution (especially if you're talking about biscane bay). Maybe if you can get out into the ocean with a plankton net you might be more sucessful (and get cleaner speicimens as well).

Either way good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06/08/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.....off Walmart for the license.
Old 06/09/2007, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

You will need more than just a 75 micron net, you will need a conical plankton net to do this here is instructions how to do it yourself

net

Probably the last hour of an incoming tyde is the most desirable, the only issue that you need to be aware is that you could also catch undisarable organism in to your net and introduce them to your tank, hopefully, most them will die in the freezing process.

Good luck
Old 06/09/2007, 09:26 AM
30 year and over club

I am going out today to get some but I am in New York and I have a boat. Have been doing it for years, no problem.
Paul
Old 06/09/2007, 12:44 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
In all fairness, Paul stands testament to the idea that you can stick just about anything in your tank from the ocean (or harbor sometimes). I'm a fan of Pauls, and I've read a ton of his threads about all sorts of crazy stuff, like how he goes out in the middle of the winter and catch pods under the ice, then feed them to his tank. Also he's got all sorts of awesome memorabilia sunken in his tank, like old pepsi cans and glass bottles and such. He's got such a wicked tank.

If he can catch plankton and pods from the NY area, then we should be fine here, as long as you pay some attention to the tides.
Old 06/27/2007, 07:32 AM
30 year and over club

I did not get much plankton on that day, just about a million tiny spearing. Great for lionfish or eels. They can be frozen and used for the entire year. They are about 1/4 to 1/2" long.
I also collected a load of crabs which I also have enough of.
I did get a bunch of amphipods so it was not entirely a loss. I will be going again today.
Have a great day.
Paul