Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 03:56 PM

Squilla empusa mantis available

I have some Squilla empusas available if anyone is interested. You can email me at seanemesis@excite.com. Sizes 2"-6".
Old 12/01/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Any pics?
Old 12/01/2007, 04:16 PM

Here is a link to some pics. They look better in person, but they are not all that colorful really except for their eyes and they seem to fine in groups as they were all collected in a small radius. I am a collector so the link has some other pics of some of the live stock I have available. I also have a gorgeous healthy yellow gorg that has been in my system for a couple months. I can get black onyx nass snails and I am also having a special on feeder saltwater shrimp @ .20 each. or .15 for 100+.
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ayabbott/
Old 12/01/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

PM sent
Old 12/01/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I would point it out, the two mantis pics in your photobucket aren't of Squilla empusa.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:14 PM

I must admit mantis are not a specialty of mine, but this is what I was told by the marine biologist at SC DNR. What species do you believe it is? Thank-you for your keen eye.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinl
Just thought I would point it out, the two mantis pics in your photobucket aren't of Squilla empusa.

Do you also have the correct genus for this species?
Old 12/01/2007, 07:07 PM

trae, I sent you a reply on your PM. Did you get it?
Old 12/01/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

lol, i was afraid you might ask me that. Im still training myself in the ways of the stomatopod so I cant tell you what genus or species it is, but i can tell you it isnt S. empusa. S. empusa has pretty distinctive brown and black markings on the uropods. yours lacks this. I might take a guess at Busquilla plantei though.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:28 PM

Since I am not educated in these guys I went what was told to me by the DNR guy. I will just call it mantis shrimp from SC coast then. Don't feel bad because you cannot ID it, there are many species, you obviously know more than I on them. Thanks for your input though.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Hello, got the pm. Justinl thanks for the info after extensive search i only came up with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squilla_mantis
Old 12/02/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

trae, i hope for your sake it isnt Squilla mantis... "Several other large spearers are available live in fish markets around the world. ... Squilla mantis in the northern Mediterranean. I have not included them here because they are often found on ice and rarely survive in the home aquarium." from the notes on roys list.

I was under the impression that Alisa collected them from S california and the wiki site you linked to (then again how reliable is wiki?) says S. mantis doesn't occur anywhere near there.

Alisa, i think that it probably is best to just call it that: "mantis shrimp from SC coast"
Old 12/02/2007, 06:20 PM

They were collected from Georgetown South Carolina and they do VERY well in tanks. I have a guy that has a couple of these for over a year so far. And from the ones that I got none have died and are eating well will eat from your fingers.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeaNemesis
They were collected from Georgetown South Carolina and they do VERY well in tanks. I have a guy that has a couple of these for over a year so far. And from the ones that I got none have died and are eating well will eat from your fingers.

I still want a couple but i won't be available to test the "eat from hand theory". How do they fair together. From my experience they fight each other to the death. I would like to purchase a couple.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:28 PM

They get along well, I have a bunch together now and that one guy has his 2 together. It took me awhile handling them several times before I got the courage to hand feed them. They show no aggression towards anything including this one fiddler crab that messes with them. I have never seen them shoot their claws out yet. If you want an aggressive one, this kind won't suit ya, but I think they are kewl now. Just reply to the PM I sent ya.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:30 PM

I will ship these guys in water bottles, with the top cut off just enough to get them in then I will put it in a breathable bag with water and into another breathable bag with water. I have tested this out and it works very well. I can explain and take pictures of my method if anyone is interested.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Take a look at Roy's List at the top of this forum. They look like Chloridopis dubia.

Roy
Old 12/02/2007, 07:50 PM

Ohh thank-you so much, I hope that those are them although they do not look as colorful as the pic. They do have pretty iridescent yellow eyes.

Last edited by SeaNemesis; 12/02/2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

PM

Alisa your box is full.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:58 AM
Premium Member

Hi, i was going to pm you! okay i can do Saturday delivery heat packs needed 11* in the upper midwest.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Pm sent