Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2006, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Holy smokes Danielle! You're tank looks terrific. I'm going to (gulp) fill my tank for the first time next week (waiting for the last of my plumbing parts to arrive. grrr) and i'm sure i'll freak out when my tank goes through the algae/diatoms stages with my TBS order. But seeing how your tank looks now helps a lot!
Old 07/11/2006, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Danielle - Looks great! I was wondering what lighting system you are using? Great comparison from what you started out with and what it looks like now!!

Good luck on your move!

Jay
Thanks Jay! I'm currently using a 4 X 65W PC but I have a retrofit 2 X 250W MH w/ PC that I've been building a hood for....of course with all the packing it's gotten put on the back burner but hopefully after this weekend I can get it all wired up and on the tank

Techreef- Thanks. Good luck with your tank and be sure to post pics when you get your rock! As you could see, I had a ton of algae for a while until my clean-up crew came.
Old 07/11/2006, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Well heck! Promised pics of my TBS tank and haven't been able to get any decent ones due to recent change in lighting using the new UV actinic T5 bulbs. Can't get white balance set on this new camera. We bought a new MH retrofit kit 2x150's and will be putting these new lights in hood this weekend and I'll be able to get and post decent pics then. This was first time I tried to take pics with the UV bulbs and you can't tell anything about the rocks.
Carla
Old 07/17/2006, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Good news it looks like eveything made it through the move ok. I have to say if I never have to move my tank again I'd be just fine with that! Big pain

Here's a couple of pics....sorry they're not the best quality. I can't find the box my tripod is packed in...boxes everywhere. Don't ever let anyone tell you that moving is fun.

Old 07/18/2006, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Wow nice looking! The move must have gone well. Did you start off with new sand? Thats nice and white.

My urchin died the other day. Seemed to be fine the day before, then when I got home from work most of his spines had fallen off and he wasnt moving. Anyone else have a problem with their urchin?

I believe I have finally ridden the tank of all the medium to large gorrilla crabs. I could usually find one or two in the morning when the light would come on, sending them retreating into the rock work, but havent seen one in a while.

After 3.5 months I finally saw the pistol shrimp!!! .. in the dark.. with a flashlight.. for like 2 seconds.. but still! The front half of him was blue and he was about an inch long. Going to be a while till I get a pic of him probably =p
I also discovered some sort of small cucmber the other day. The only part I can see is the long fans sticking out of a whole in the rock. Seems to have himself wedged in there pretty good.

I have been reluctant to take pictures lately. This is partially due to being busy and spending my time working on the tank rather then observing, but mostly because of this wretched cyano. At first I thought it was just a symptom of a new tank, but now Im pretty sure it has to do with a lack of flow in certain areas. I bought another powerhead and am going to reposition them all when it arrives.

Take it easy all.
Peace,
Jesse
Old 07/18/2006, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
Wow nice looking! The move must have gone well. Did you start off with new sand? Thats nice and white.
Yep. I didn't want to move the tank with the extra weight in it. Also I didn't want to take the chance of exposing an anaerobic layer and causing a massive ammonia spike. So I added 75 pounds of aragonite to the tank. I'm really happy with the result. Now to get the new lights on soon

Jesse- hope the additional PH helps with the cyano. You could still post pics....we'll just overlook the cyano
Old 07/20/2006, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

I just placed my order for the Package! Can't wait to take my own pictures of Christmas in July. Part I is scheduled to arrive on the 30th, as Richard is traveling next week. Whoo-hoo!!
Old 07/21/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Mantis Shrimp

Hey, gang--

My tank has been up and running for about 6 months now and all is well--of course I have TBS rock. I've been hearing a CLICKING sound in my tank now for a few weeks. I know that mantis make a clicking sound on the glass and this is exactly what I have.

Is it possible to have a mantis shrimp in a tank that's 6 months old and NEVER have seen the thing? Ive found a few dead hermit crabs over the past few months and a peppermint shrimp is MIA. Those are the only tell tale signs.

How do I verify that I have a mantis? Is there any way to LURE it out so I can at least see it and verify its existance?

Thanks--
Old 07/21/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techreef
I just placed my order for the Package! Can't wait to take my own pictures of Christmas in July. Part I is scheduled to arrive on the 30th, as Richard is traveling next week. Whoo-hoo!!
Very cool--enjoy...
Old 07/21/2006, 02:59 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Re: Mantis Shrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Wazoo
Hey, gang--

My tank has been up and running for about 6 months now and all is well--of course I have TBS rock. I've been hearing a CLICKING sound in my tank now for a few weeks. I know that mantis make a clicking sound on the glass and this is exactly what I have.

Is it possible to have a mantis shrimp in a tank that's 6 months old and NEVER have seen the thing? Ive found a few dead hermit crabs over the past few months and a peppermint shrimp is MIA. Those are the only tell tale signs.

How do I verify that I have a mantis? Is there any way to LURE it out so I can at least see it and verify its existance?

Thanks--
You could potentially have a pistol shrimp. I've never been able to tell the difference between a pistol shrimp click and a mantis shrimp click. I only know I have a pistol shrimp because he fell out of a rock that I took out to frag some zoas off of it.

Personally, I think a few dead hermits and a MIA peppermint shrimp doesn't necessarily mean a mantis shrimp.

I had several mantis, but to me the clicks sound very similar. I had one very shy mantis I would only see during actinics and I only saw it 3 times before I captured it.

You can sometimes lure them out with frozen shrimp or squid.

Brian
Old 07/21/2006, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Found a crown conch last night I think!! It was pretty small, about a half inch, and had the same kind of crazy shell that a crown conch does. Saw him traveling up my rockwork.
Old 07/25/2006, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Ok lets revive this thread...

I have a ton of questions for you fellow TBS'ers now that I've had my rocks for a few months. Lets start with this one..

The rocks from TBS tend to be more boulder like then branching. From up close you can see the intricacies and textures of the rock, but from afar it tends to resemble just a pile of rubble. For me, this presents a big problem with aquascaping my rocks in a pleasing fashion. The other problem with rock is that there are so many corals, sponges, bivalves, and turkey wings on the rock, that they are almost impossible to stack without crushing some poor creature, or blocking them from getting the light/flow they need.

I find myself moving small rocks around every time I clean the tank in attempt to make it look a little better here and there. I am very careful to check the bottom of the rocks that I'm moving to make sure no one is getting squished. My 5 or 6 biggest rocks make up the bottom layer, with the smaller rocks stacked on top and in front of them. I though about using epoxy to glue cooler shapes, but some of the rocks are too big almost to get through the opening in the top as it is.

So what all have you done about your aquascape? If you could include pictures that would be awesome(I know I know, Im a hypocrit because I have no pics.. its 3am my tank lights are off Ill shoot some tomrrow =P)

Peace,
Jesse
Old 07/25/2006, 10:24 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Jesse,

Actually, most of my rock from TBS came in some very nice shapes, only a couple smaller ones were "boulder" shaped. The rest have a variety of valleys and caves. Of course the majority of my live rock came from gulf view and those rocks are much more boulder like.

So the boulders form the base of my structure and the prettier TBS rock is on top. I also supplemented with three large pieces of live rock that I made myself. One has three legs to minimize contact with the sandbed and the other two are shelves I made to maximize the number of corals I could put directly underneath my MH lights.

I'm not sure how pretty this tank is, but I made it very practical and functional, which is kind of my style With the combination of three different kinds of rock I am pretty happy with how the aquascaping turned out, although I do occasionally toy with it when I get a new coral.

Brian

Old 07/25/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

The rock size is one of my concerns. I am still plotting out a new tank but I am certainly going to use TBS. So does it seem that the gulf rock is larger boulder type rocks compared to the Keys rock? anyone got some good shots of what the keys stuff looks like?

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 07/25/2006, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Do you have your rock piled against the sides and back walls of the tank Brian? Does this cause any issues with dead spots for you? I found that keeping my rocks closer to the tank walls created dead areas and nuisance algae.

Anyone else care to share there aquascaping expereince?
Old 07/25/2006, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

All right 2-3 wks later I am finally going to be able to post pics. This is my 75G will all TBS rocks from the Keys. Tank is exactly 1 year old in spite of Katrina!!

Just yesterday I found a large patch of purple/pink tunicates on the back side of one rock. I am still amazed with the life that hitchhiked on this rock and with finding new stuff even 1 year out.
Sorry for the large pics.
Carla
Old 07/25/2006, 03:30 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
Do you have your rock piled against the sides and back walls of the tank Brian? Does this cause any issues with dead spots for you? I found that keeping my rocks closer to the tank walls created dead areas and nuisance algae.

Anyone else care to share there aquascaping expereince?
I do have a couple of rocks that touch the side walls and back walls, but very limited contact. Because of the design of the tank the built in overflow makes it very hard to get flow in the back left corner. I wouldn't call it a dead spot (no black spots in sand), but definitely lower flow than I desire. I still think Oceanic should go back to corner overflows, MUCH better than these stupid offset ones.

I think I actually have too much directed flow in my tank, I have trouble keeping the sandbed in place in the front of the tank. I'm thinking of adding one more powerhead, but its flow would be directly into the stream of my SEIO 1500. That in theory should disperse the flow and make it more random. Someday in the future I'll have a tank with a horizontal overflow and closed loop, or at least a return pump with multiple nozzles.

I have a tiny bit of bubble algae and a couple spots of other nuisance algaes, but I trim it once it gets to be the size of a half dollar and it hasn't spread much. The bubble algae is in a high flow area only, go figure.

Brian
Old 07/25/2006, 03:31 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Very pretty pictures Carla

Brian
Old 07/25/2006, 06:14 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Because of the design of the tank the built in overflow makes it very hard to get flow in the back left corner. I wouldn't call it a dead spot (no black spots in sand), but definitely lower flow than I desire. I still think Oceanic should go back to corner overflows, MUCH better than these stupid offset ones.

Brian
Having the same tank as you, I can agree. I was dumb and followed the instructions which showed the return coming out on that side.

Wish I hadn't, but I do have great flow in that corner. Luckily my return was a Loc-Line with a Y fitting. So one end I have pointed straight down and the other end and I have wrapped around the front of the return.

Wife tells me I can pick up the Tunze Nanostreams in 2007 along with a controller. Then I'll have me some flow.

Maybe even fish by then!
Old 07/25/2006, 07:24 PM
King of the Tank!

Hey! Great to see everyone is still watching this thread!

Danielle, Carla and Brian – Great shots of the tanks!! Awesome!

jezzeaepi – I too have moved mine around a lot but have settled on the way it looks now. I bought some small branch type rock at the LFS to add some variety.

Spiffyguy – I do not have Key rock but here are some pictures of my Gulf rock. Both of the larger rocks have tunnels and lots of holes.

Left side. This tunnel goes out two places behind the rock large enough for the fish to swim through. This use to be a Mantis home!!

Closer picture.

Right side pic. That Hawkfish is a photo hog!!

I'm slowly starting to get all the equipment to start my sump/refugium. I also had to order a larger skimmer for this tank. I want to get rid of that BioLife in the background. Worst purchase I have made so far!!

You can see some more pictures in my gallery!

Jay
Old 07/25/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I just saw a baby mantis. It was the cutest little thing only about an inch long. I know that there is at least one other mantis in the tank. I wonder if mantis will cannibalize each other. One can only hope
Old 07/26/2006, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

So am I really the only one that has had the problem of too many hitchikers? lol
Old 07/26/2006, 10:11 AM

uhhh, nope

I still have a boatload of crabs and two more known mantis.
I've been pulling rocks out every couple days and flushing them with seltzer water to get the baddies out.

Luckily the mantis are both bright and colorful so I might make some trades and/or money off of them.
Old 07/26/2006, 10:12 AM

Did I really just say luckily? Gee it's swell I have pretty mantis!
Old 07/26/2006, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Here's some updated pics of my tank. The rock is about 1/3 TBS

Full Shot

Left

Center

Right