Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

does anyone know how long tbs sand can stay intransit without a problem? i ordered a bunch and there are lots of flight delays. it might be 24 hrs in the box before i get it
Old 06/22/2006, 06:18 PM
RC Sponsor

days!

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
does anyone know how long tbs sand can stay intransit without a problem? i ordered a bunch and there are lots of flight delays. it might be 24 hrs in the box before i get it
sand is good for days and days in the box.....packed in 02, it thinks it is in an aquarium!

TBS
Old 06/26/2006, 02:38 PM
RC Sponsor

Pat???

Ahhhh

where is Pat?

TBS
Old 06/26/2006, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

good question! i was just checking this thread for any big updates. i havent seen a post from Pat in three weeks. there is a post from Daniealle saying that her CPU was sick....!!?!?!
Old 06/26/2006, 06:42 PM
forever newbie

Woo Hoo it's a Landon!!! how you doing ?
Old 06/27/2006, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

pats fine, her computer is giving her fits
Old 06/27/2006, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Woo Hoo it's a Landon!!! how you doing ?

hey Peggy,
ive been doing just fine. ive been working a lot. im trying to get back into the office with my company. i want to be in more of a project manager position than in a drafts person position though. im just waiting for timing to be right, but in the meantime been putting i na lot of hours in the yard, and on the drawing board.

ive also started a side business. a friend of mine and i have begun constructing very large display vivarium for a pet store. with the influx of pet stores and interest in small herps i think we are going to have a chance at a good bit of work. there are two attractions here that have small animals on display, but their enclosures arent all that nice. there are also 2 new pet stores in town and both of them are interested in seeing what is getting set up for the current one. if all goes well we may have a years worth of work lined up based on our first big job. we are also setting up smaller personal tanks (my partner is the one mainly doing this, as he has a lot more time than i). weve been getting a lot of advertisement from our personal tanks (just by word of mouth) so tons of people are waiting to what this big creation is going to be.

we are offering the full package which is something different and challenging. we are custom building the enclosures out of glass, wood, or screen, or any combination of the three. the viv we are building for the LPS is about 135 gallons. we've got another 150 gallon to do next. one of the other pet sores ive been talking to is interested in something around 300-350 gallons which will be really sweet. if we can get into the attractions i was talking about, we are looking at some 500+ gallon enclosures. these are already built, but it will still be super nice to outfit one of tese with our custom designs.

sorry for the rant ive been really excited about this new venture. weve been working a night or two during the week and every sunday for about 3 months now.

i also have some breeding projects of some day geckos getting started.

heres a pic of my new male

and a female of his group

hopefully they will start spitting out eggs soon. i almost always see courtship and i caught them in the act a few sundays ago. i should start to see egg development in the next few weeks, then ill need to get ready to steal some eggs from them

as far as reefing goes, the 75 at the office is doing great. its still got the same goby, the same yellow choris wrasse, the same bicolor blenny, and my first ever fish is still living in the sump. the yellow watchman goby from my TBS reef is the lone survivor from the fire. currently he is residing in the sump but my wife is thinking of letting me set her up a 24 gallon cube for him (in her office). she is still undecided though, as she is falling in love with my new geckos and may want me to set her up a tank for some of them instead
Old 06/27/2006, 01:11 PM
King of the Tank!

Landon – Nice Gecko’s!!

Hey I noticed a lot of yellow sponges on one rock of mine when I got it. Now the rock is covered in them and it is a brilliant color of yellow! I noticed Red_Six had posted a picture (this is his picture below) of his and I was wondering what they will become as far as size goes. There must be 2000 of them! It is also spreading to some of the other rocks.

Brian – Still can’t get a very good picture of that snail so will just leave in the sump.

Thanks!

Jay
Old 06/27/2006, 02:22 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Landon – Nice Gecko’s!!

Hey I noticed a lot of yellow sponges on one rock of mine when I got it. Now the rock is covered in them and it is a brilliant color of yellow! I noticed Red_Six had posted a picture (this is his picture below) of his and I was wondering what they will become as far as size goes. There must be 2000 of them! It is also spreading to some of the other rocks.

Brian – Still can’t get a very good picture of that snail so will just leave in the sump.

Thanks!

They are a type of boring, colony anemone!

TBS

Jay
Old 06/27/2006, 02:32 PM
King of the Tank!

Richard - is this a good thing or a bad thing? If it's bad - how do I get rid of it?

Jay
Old 06/27/2006, 02:35 PM
RC Sponsor

good guys

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Richard - is this a good thing or a bad thing? If it's bad - how do I get rid of it?

Jay
They are excellant!

Filter feeders!
TBS
Old 06/27/2006, 04:22 PM
King of the Tank!

Great!! I was a little worried because things have gone so well!!

Jay
Old 06/27/2006, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Jay, I have lots of these little "sponges on my TBS rocks but they are bright red/orange in color. Richard are these also a boring anemone? They have never got very big in size, just slightly over pin point.
Old 06/27/2006, 06:57 PM
King of the Tank!

carlab - These are very yellow. No red in them.

Here are some pictures using my daughter’s camera. I’m still no better with hers! They came out a little dark.

First one, the rock with all of the yellow on it:

A bit of Zoo’s, the Condy, TBS coral and a nice feather duster that is growing like crazy. Richard, any idea how big these get? Nice hitchhiker!! I have a dark purple one too.

And a shot of the Zoo’s I picked up at the LFS. I did notice after switching to the T5 HO’s that the purple algae is growing all over everything quick.

Sweet!!

Jay
Old 07/05/2006, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

This thread needs a pick-me-up. Here is a picture of my 30g TBS tank from about a week or so ago:

Where is everyone?
Old 07/05/2006, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

If anyone has any sugggestions on this I would greatly appreciate them.

I have these gorilla crabs that I have beent rying to catch for months now. They always dissapear into the bottom of my rockwork so I can never catcht hem. I finally out of desperation pulled a whole huge rock out that he was hiding on, but tis hollow and hes inside and I cant get him. I cant even see him most of the time but everyone in a while ill see him peeking out form in the rock. My attempts at killign him have all failed.

Any suggestions as a way to kill him or get him out of the rock? The rock has been in a seperate bucket, baited for crab for the last few days and no bites =\
Old 07/06/2006, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

don't go crazy. i still see a little ones after 18 months, and i can't really see them damaging anything. one day you'll catch him out in the open
Old 07/06/2006, 05:08 PM
King of the Tank!

jharler - Looks great! What type of lighting are you using?

jezzeaepi - What I have been doing is using a long clear 1/4 inch plastic tube and a net. You have to be patient but I put the net in the water in front of or near the crab. I then flick the crab with the clear tube toward the net. Usually the crab pretends to be dead or somthing and I manuver him to the front glass then scoop him up with the net. I have caught 3 this way! I would put the rock back in the tank as he may have exited the rock on it's way out. I had no luck with the bait & trap.

Good luck!!

Jay
Old 07/06/2006, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks! This is the lighting fixture I'm using:

https://www82.safesecureweb.com/weba...ry_Code=COCFLL

96w, dual daylight 6700k/10,000k
96w, dual actinic 420nm/460nm
Old 07/08/2006, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

bump to get this thread back where it can be found! My 75G TBS tank is going to be 1yr old next month and is doing great. Will take photos tonight and post.
Old 07/08/2006, 10:50 PM
King of the Tank!

carlab - Thanks in advance for the pictures. I was wondering what a year would look like. What package did you buy from TBS?

Jay
Old 07/09/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Mee thinks you may be a professional photographer... nice pics, would you like to come to FL and photograph my fishies and aquarium sea life??? I hear it is veerry cold up there in Jan.
Old 07/10/2006, 06:29 PM
King of the Tank!

aly6764 – I can only hope your are referring to my skills!! But it is not cold here so you must mean someone else.

Was wondering if some of the people with TBS that’s a year or older could post some photo’s comparing from when they first got the rock to now?

In the mean time I will have to show off a few recent pic’s of mine!!

Tank shot. Sorry for the flash but this shot came out the best. I took Brian’s advice and did not add any more rock when upgrading to the 80 Gallon tank. I just purchased a large zoo colony from the LFS (on the left) that was on a nice sized rock. I can add these now with out jamming up the tank.

Here is a better pic of the zoo colony. Notice the TBS coral, the plants and the Blenny in the background!!

I’ve sort of gotten addicted to the Zoo’s. There are so many to choose from!! The two in the foreground I purchased from the propagation thread here on ReefCentral. I think this is the best part of the hobby. I look forward to fragging some of mine to fellow reefers!! You can see our Scooter Bleeny in the background and a Pygmy Angelfish whizzing thru behind the orange zoo’s. Unfortunately, some of the TBS coral is bleaching so have tried to move them lower.

Lets see those old and updated photos!! Thanks!!

Jay
Old 07/11/2006, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. My life is a bit chaotic with working full time, doing two grad school courses, and moving all my stuff 370 miles away from my current home!

My aquarium makes the move this weekend so wish me luck

jmait769- Here's some pics for you!

Part One:

Little older part one:

Even older part one (I had to wait quite a while for TBS to have any rock- totally worth the wait but the algae got a bit out of control):

Part 2:

Now:
Old 07/11/2006, 11:52 AM
King of the Tank!

Danielle - Looks great! I was wondering what lighting system you are using? Great comparison from what you started out with and what it looks like now!!

Good luck on your move!

Jay