Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Angry calibrate your refractometer!

I brought home a fish from the lfs and decided to test the salinity of the lfs water with my refractometer. It measured 1.033!! I couldn't believe it and was pretty irritated with the store for not properly monitoring their salinity.

I recently read some posts about calibrating refractometers using solutions with a salinity close to that of natural seawater. I had only calibrated mine with pure water.

I made up Randy's calibration fluid that should be right around 1.026 and couldn't believe it when my refractometer read 1.033! I guess the lfs was right on!

So, my reef, which I thought was running at 1.026 is actually 1.021. I'll have to slowly raise that.

So, the question arises, should I invest in a new, maybe more accurate refractometer or now that mine is calibrated should it be ok to continue to use? It's a cheapo one from Ebay that I bought about 3 years ago.

You know, this might also explain my recent bad luck with a couple of online fish orders in which I set my qt tank salinity to that of what the online vendor told me they shipped their fish in.

Old 12/21/2007, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Oh, and I just tested the calibration solution with my old swing arm and it measured 1.025. Should have been using that all along...
Old 12/21/2007, 06:00 PM
Moved out

YEP I did the exact same thing. My refracto I got from PA was .08 too high. Randy's solution was right on at 1.026

Chris
Old 12/21/2007, 06:13 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

So you just calibrated it and you know now it is working fine... Why would you get rid of it and get another one again? I'm missing something here...
Old 12/21/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

It seems a common theme that refractometers calibrated using purified water are a few thousandths off. I too bought the 53.0mS Calibration fluid and found that my refractometer has been off 3/1000ths for over a year (like you mine was giving a false high). I posted on here and someone suggested that once calibrated, on a monthly basis or so check it against the calibration fluid. No need to get another refractometer, it would most likely give you a false high anyway. Now that yours is calibrated correctly, it is a very accurate measure of specific gravity/salinity.

BTW, you might want to increase your specific gravity the way I did, which was to replace evaporated water with full strength salt water. That way you slowly, incrementally increase you sg over several days.

Ironically, those cheap swing arm hydrometers were actually giving me more accurate readings than my refractometer before I calibrated correctly. lol
Old 12/21/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
So you just calibrated it and you know now it is working fine... Why would you get rid of it and get another one again? I'm missing something here...
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking correctly. My first instinct was that if it was THAT far off there must be something wrong with it and it wasn't working fine. Should be good to go now once calibrated....hopefully.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Can someone link me to randys refract calibration solution page? Mine says to use distilled water but i keep reading that it might be off with that method. My reef looks great but id still like to double check.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I found it, the search is working.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Could you post a link of it, I'm interested in this.

Thanks
Old 12/31/2007, 12:04 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Let me know if you have any questions. And if you are buying a 53mS calibration solution buy only the Pinpoint 53mS.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Let me know if you have any questions. And if you are buying a 53mS calibration solution buy only the Pinpoint 53mS.
Hey boomer--
I just bought the pin point 53ms solution---what reading on the spectrometer should I be looking for when using it?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

Thats the one i used.

"This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified freshwater."
Old 12/31/2007, 02:30 AM

capn, what do you mean spectrophotmeter ? There is no such thing for salinity. Or did you mean Refractometer ? If that, you put a drop on the slip and turn the cal screw until it reads 35 ppt or 1.0264 SG

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:34 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Boomer, I made up the calibration solution yesterday using 1/4 cup salt plus one teaspoon salt mixed in 2L of RO/DI water. The salt would not completely dissolve in the water after at least a half hour of stirring, setting, etc. Should the water be perfectly clear and should the salt be completely dissolved or should there be a small amount of salt that does not completely dissolve? When I tested some of the solution it was within a hundredth or so of 1.026 or 35ppt. Any insight? Thanks.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:43 AM
Moved out

FWIW After I went to the effort of making Randys calibration solution for the refractometer I took the refracto to the Florida Aquarium (I used to live within walking distance) and had them verify my refractometer was accurate. It was right on the money!
Old 12/31/2007, 10:48 AM
Reef Chemist

FWIW After I went to the effort of making Randys calibration solution for the refractometer I took the refracto to the Florida Aquarium (I used to live within walking distance) and had them verify my refractometer was accurate. It was right on the money!

It was right on after calibration to the DIY solution, or without that step?
Old 12/31/2007, 10:51 AM
Moved out

Hi Randy! It was right on after calibration with the DIY solution. After I calibrated it I took it over to the Florida Aquarium.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:36 AM

Freed

When you say salt do you mean seasalt mix or Morton table salt ? It is Morton table salt you use not no seasalt mix.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
capn, what do you mean spectrophotmeter ? There is no such thing for salinity. Or did you mean Refractometer ? If that, you put a drop on the slip and turn the cal screw until it reads 35 ppt or 1.0264 SG
thanks for understanding Boomer--I can't believe I said that--I always thought if you couldn't tpye wel aftr a bit of ymas cheer thn you had enouf but I guess this isn't a god test afteral
Old 12/31/2007, 01:54 PM
Reef Chemist

Great. I'm glad the DIY worked well for you.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:17 PM
Moved out

Old 12/31/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Boomer, I made up the calibration solution yesterday using 1/4 cup salt plus one teaspoon salt mixed in 2L of RO/DI water. The salt would not completely dissolve in the water after at least a half hour of stirring, setting, etc. Should the water be perfectly clear and should the salt be completely dissolved or should there be a small amount of salt that does not completely dissolve? When I tested some of the solution it was within a hundredth or so of 1.026 or 35ppt. Any insight? Thanks.
Anyone know the answer to this? I also mixed up a batch and had some salt that would not dissolve. I manually mixed it on and off for over an hour. Let it sit over night then mixed a it a little more and it still remained.

When I tested it on the refracometer I got 1.030. Would you guys recommend that I assume this is fairly accurate or should I wait till I can get some of the pinpoint solution?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12/31/2007, 03:22 PM
Reef Chemist

How much didn't dissolve? If a tiny bit compared to what you added, just ignore it.

To answer the what to do question, how did you measure volumes?
Old 12/31/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
How much didn't dissolve? If a tiny bit compared to what you added, just ignore it.

To answer the what to do question, how did you measure volumes?

Yes, just a tiny bit didn't dissolve. I measured out the RO/DI water with a two liter bottle filled all the way to the top and I used 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon of Mortons Iodized salt. I over filled both of them and leveled them off with a straight edge. I then poured the water into a clean bucket and slowly added the salt while I was stirring the water.

Steve

Last edited by shoops; 12/31/2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Another question when using the 2L bottles, when filling, is that all the way to the lip so that it overflows? Or a little less such as when you get a new bottle of soda it is not filled to the top?

Thanks.