Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I think you can get a few more T5's in there. The ATI Powermodule are a very nice looking fixture.
Old 10/07/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

man, this is a awesome tank.
Old 10/08/2007, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Badass fixture...even more badass that she let you move the mirror!!! howd you pull that one off?
Old 10/08/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Oh mann I want to see that thing on..Very Nice

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 10/10/2007, 11:46 AM
Team RC Member

Hi Everybody, I just got back into town. Gotta go to the office and get some work done, then get home and hang that Powermodule! Oh, guess I better kiss the wife and kid first .

KPM - I got the light from ReefGeek. If you want one, better place the order now. I ordered mine in March!

GSMguy - The 10-bulb is a must for my 30" deep tank. Now that I'll have to hang it a little front of center, that really comes into play and I'm sure the rear of the tank would have suffered a lot if I only had 8 lamps. I now think this will be a positive having the fixture slightly toward the front, since now I'm even more confident that any clams and LPS I have on the substrate in the front of the display will get their fair share of light. Maybe there will be less coralline on the back to scrape as well.(?)

Is this the thread you were referring to? That's a nice combination that fijiblue is using, and he's using an 8-lamp fixture. I think mine will also turn out just fine, but if it's not it'll be easy enough to modify.

bleedingthought, Bax, RoBolton, pmjfuture, erics3000 - Thanks everybody!

GMFett - The mirror's been gone for a long time now. When she saw it hanging behind the tank she agreed that it looked ridiculous, so it's been moved to a more appropriate location. I'm REALLY glad it's gone.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:50 AM
clownfish fan

Thats the Thread. his combo just looks perfect to me, similar to some of the euro all t5 tanks.
i dont know about less scraping the glass but less light=less algae so it makes sense.

Cant wait to see pics of it hanging.

did you have any algae before putting the Zeo reactor online? any less now?
Old 10/10/2007, 02:10 PM
TRC Leader

So? Did you leave work yet?
Old 10/10/2007, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

I'm waiting with melev.
Can't wait to see it up!
Old 10/10/2007, 04:56 PM
TRC Leader

Done yet Mike?
Old 10/10/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Are you playing on us?
Old 10/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Team RC Member

GSMguy - I'm not sure if I had any significant algae before starting ZEOvit, certainly nothing I'd consider a nuissance. The thing that made the most impact was a complete clearing of the water after using it for only 3 days, which I think is more a function of bacteria as opposed to algae. I currently have diatoms on the rocks and sand surface, and I'm really in need of a clean up crew and a good siphoning of the sand.

Sorry for the delay on the update, guys (funny emoticon Marc!), I was dead tired last night. But before crashing, I did manage to get a few things done ...

IT'S UP!!

You can see that it's not exactly square over the tank, and it is quite a bit forward of center. I'm not happy with the fact that it's not square, but it's tough to see if you're not looking for it. I am happy with the fact that it's tweaked toward the front a little, as the light does not hang over the overflow box at all. This does mean that the rear of the tank is somewhat poorly illuminated, but I'll just keep corals there that require less light.

Here's how the tank looks. I think the light helps you to appreciate the depth of the aquascape much better in these photos than the ones I originally posted. Hope you like them!

Same angle as above, but with dusk/dawn effect (super actinic in front, ATI blue plus in back)

Here's the side view.

And the same view with the dusk/dawn configuration.

I hope everyone enjoys the pics. I need some help from the Rimless club - how do you keep the upper 'dry' glass clean? There are tons of smears on mine, which really detracts from the photos.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Looks good Mike. How far down is the water level from the top of the tank?
Old 10/11/2007, 10:44 AM

Paper towel baby!

Reef looks really nice. I think having the light forward can only be a good thing. It's much easier to keep the front clean than the back. Your aquascaping is excellent.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

How easy is adjusting the height of the fixture (for maintainence)? I'd think that you'd have to raise one side, then the other? How are the mechanics of the wires and the sliders? You've got me thinking about this fixture, though I'd have to get a new tank to justify the fixture, and a new skimmer to make sure it was as clean as it needs to be...and and and...
Matt
Old 10/11/2007, 10:55 AM
clownfish fan

awsome really,

looks great
Old 10/11/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

**** yeah man! thats badass!
Old 10/11/2007, 12:58 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

That looks saaweet!

Your aquascape looks great too.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:32 PM
TRC Leader

Congratulations. You now have a reef tank. You can start putting in your reeflings.
Old 10/11/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Damn, now I don't know what I like more T5 or halide...
Old 10/11/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

That is such a sweet fixture!
I love the bulb choices.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:52 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheebill
That is such a sweet fixture!
I love the bulb choices.
I know why. Look at the spectrum in your avatar.
Old 10/12/2007, 12:00 AM
Team RC Member

Chrisrush - The water is 3 1/4 inches from the top of the glass. I'm hanging the fixture 4" above the water line.

jnarowe - Thanks, glad you like the 'scape.

hansmatt - I've read others say that the included hardware is easy for adjusting the height of the light. I must admit, it is doable alone, but it takes some getting used to. Those who have no troubles are certainly dealing with a lighter fixture, since there aren't many of these 10-bulbers in the U.S. as of yet. You are correct in that it has to be raised/lowered 1 side at a time. With practice it's getting easier, and it's not so difficult that I'd want to install a more obtrusive-appearing pulley system. The hardware is quite solid, however, and I feel confident that it won't come slamming down on my tank some day.

Everybody Else - I'm glad you all approve! I wasn't too thrilled with the aquascape as I looked at it for weeks and weeks in the dark, but under the light it has everything I was hoping for when I put it together. In the photos it appears I may have too much rock, but in person I like the look a lot.

I encountered a little problem last night. It seems, I learned, that my 30g cube tank shares the same electrical circuit with this system. When I tested out the newly-hung lights, the chiller kicked in. No problem. But when the MJ 600 that feeds my ZEOvit reactor turned on (it's on a 3-hr on/3-hr off cycle) the circuit tripped. Unbelievable that I had been teetering on the edge, only to be pushed overboard by a little'ol Maxijet. At any rate, the tank tests 0 for ammonia and nitrate, and I've been circulating with cured LR and live sand for around 7 weeks already. Add that to 2 weeks of ZEOvit, and I felt the easiest solution to my electrical problem would be to shut down the 30g and transfer critters to the 203g.

I moved over a green-polyped ORA toadstool, a small frogspawn frag, a green/purple favites, some green/purple rics, a green plate coral, and a red open brain. My other corals and 2 clams have bryopsis on them, so they won't be transferring. I put a post on our local club site offering them up for free for anyone who wants them.

Next came the fish. I didn't want my clownfish pair to be test fish, but I was feeling confident and I went for it. I left the light off and they hid behind the 'scape. After a couple hours I turned the dusk/dawn lighting on, then went out for dinner. When I returned, they were hanging out together at the front of the tank over their host frogspawn frag, looking as happy as ever. The female ate readily, but the male did not. I'm sure he'll come around.

I also moved over some nassarius snails, but the astreas won't go. They all have bryopsis on their shells and they look like mini-Don Kings.

Currently I'm working through a problem with my OM 4-way. Previously I had the Barracuda CL pump dialed down a bit, and with the anticipation of adding corals I opened it up full bore. This caused some sand to fly, which resulted in a clicking sound from the 4-way. I figured some sand got in the drum, but when I tried to take it apart I couldn't get the drum out of the unit. I spoke with Paul on the phone (great guy) and he gave me some tips, but no success yet. I'll work through it again tomorrow at a better hour when I can call him again for more assistance.
Old 10/12/2007, 12:07 AM
TRC Leader

I can't wait to see pictures of your happy livestock.
Old 10/12/2007, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

We love lights melev!

Going from a 30 to 203 is going to make for some happy livestock!
Old 10/12/2007, 06:19 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Congrats Dude!

And now the fun part begins