Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 09:50 PM
Team RC Member

So here's what I worked on yesterday. As indicated in the photo above, I'm using a Red Dragon 6.5m3 for my main sump return pump. I chose this for many reasons, some being that it's deadly silent (I'm torn between calling it a ninja pump or a stealth pump), it requires very little maintenance due to the calcium bypass from the impeller, it creates almost no heat even when it's run internally, and it runs on only 65W. All of this comes with a price, but I became so tired of my Mag12 seizing and late night emergent impeller cleanings that it was worth it to me. This will probably result in more flow through the sump than I want, but I can live with that. I'm running it internally so I only need plumbing for the outlet. The only problem with the pump is that the inlet and outlet are metric sizes. It's supposed to come with silicone tubing but none is available currently. In case you want to see more photos of the pump, here it is.

To get around the whole metric connection, here's what I did. I used a piece of 1" clear vinyl tubing, heated it in hot water, then with the strength of 10 men I applied it to the pump outlet. This was connected to a barbed fitting, followed by a threaded adaptor, and finally a SUBV was glued to that. The photo doesn't show it but, naturally, I used teflon tape at the threaded fitting. The connection was incredibly tight, and I would have to name it Houdini if it were able to pop off, but to make sure I added a bunch of zip ties for added security. I feel very confident that this won't come off unintentionally. Here's how I rigged it up.

This will return to the underside of the tank via a 1" bulkhead in the overflow box, then to the tank via an OmniFlex nozzle. When I fired it up the it didn't work properly, although it tests out perfectly in a large basin. There's a problem somewhere in the return plumbing between the SUBV and the OM nozzle, I just can't seem to figure out where. There are no visible leaks anywhere. Maybe the riser tube inside the overflow box isn't seated well? I'll have to check that tomorrow. In the mean time, the pump is sitting idle in the sump.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Sweet pump!
Nice work rigging it up!
Old 09/29/2007, 10:24 AM

I think I would have cut the barb taper off just to be sure there wasn't any resistance at that point.
Old 09/29/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

These should be here soon. The all grey one is for the US only!!!

Old 09/29/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

That gray one is nifty looking!
Old 09/29/2007, 12:51 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
These should be here soon. The all grey one is for the US only!!!

Are those grey fittings metric? If not, I may just buy one...
Old 09/29/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

The new RD-Pumps for the US are available with 110 Volt/60 Hz motorblocks, US-Plugs and unions that come in INCHES!!!!!

Last edited by reef / aholic; 09/29/2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09/30/2007, 06:29 PM
Team RC Member

fisheebill - Thanks!

jnarowe - Good idea, but I'm not too concerned for a slight reduction in flow, since this is probably way too much pump for my return anyway.

RoBolton - You made me cry when I saw that photo. Too bad I didn't wait for that to come out. If only I would have known. Oh well, I'm not at all unhappy with my RD, and I'm sure it will work out just fine, but I know what to look out for in the future. Too bad they didn't color those unions red .
Old 09/30/2007, 06:31 PM
Team RC Member

this ZEOvit stuff really works

I've been using the basics (carbon, ZEOliths, ZEObak and ZEOstart) for 6 days now and already the water is clearer! The tank has always looked clear to my eye, but when gazing from the side with the sun shining through the window on the other side of the tank, I've always seen a faint haze in the water column. After only 4 days of this method that haze has completely resolved and the water is truly crystal clear. I'm so hooked and I don't even have any corals in the tank yet. I also tested my potassium (K+) and it was 330. It needs to be raised to around 390, so I'll need to get the supplement eventually.
Old 09/30/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Do not worry something new always comes out!!! Your setup is sweet!!!
Old 10/01/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

oh man, what a great project, i just spent the last hour or so reading the whole thread, congratulations on such a cool tank.
Old 10/01/2007, 03:26 PM
Team RC Member

RoBolton and willianstr1ker - Thank you both so much. I feel privileged to have this in my home.

I can't wait for tomorrow's UPS delivery!!!
Old 10/02/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
RoBolton and willianstr1ker - Thank you both so much. I feel privileged to have you guys looking out for my best interest.

Old 10/02/2007, 09:27 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
RoBolton and willianstr1ker - Thank you both so much. I feel privileged to have this in my home.

I can't wait for tomorrow's UPS delivery!!!

What came today dude?
Old 10/02/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Are you gonna show us what came in???

PS - I already know....
Old 10/02/2007, 09:41 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by GMFett
Are you gonna show us what came in???

PS - I already know....
The plot Thickens
Old 10/02/2007, 10:55 PM
Team RC Member

RoBolton - good stuff

GSMGuy and GMFett - Sorry guys, I have no time for bantering, gotta test out my new 10-bulb Powermodule.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Hey Dudester, I noticed you used grey schedule 40 pvc. I've been looking all over the place and can't find anyone that carries it. Know of any suppliers in the Los Angeles area? Or any web sites where I could order it? Would really help a lot. Thanks!
Old 10/02/2007, 11:49 PM

US Plastics
Old 10/02/2007, 11:53 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Sorry guys, I have no time for bantering, gotta test out my new 10-bulb Powermodule.
Let's see it already!!!
Old 10/03/2007, 06:54 AM
clownfish fan

lol No time to talk, so many bulb choices so little time LOL
Old 10/03/2007, 10:39 AM
Team RC Member

thechad21 - jnarowe has answered your question, as that is where I ordered mine. I got the PVC fittings through US Plastics, Savko and a couple through Aquatic Eco. I really like the look of the gray PVC, and while I am careful not to smear purple primer all over the place, it doesn't show up nearly as well as it does on white PVC.

melev - Sorry but no pics at the moment. There, I've just lost everybody from here on out. But seriously, it was pretty late last night before I even started to unpack the Powermodule, and by the time I tested the electrical connections and the lamps (that's T5 vernacular for "bulbs" ) I just wanted to get it to a safe place for storage. This thing is pretty heavy and there's absolutely no way I'll be able to hang it without the help of 2 guys. I'm leaving this weekend for several days, so I don't foresee getting it in place for at least another week. At that point I'll take some photos and discuss my lamp selection. I hate to completely disappoint so I'll add a link to this thread with some excellent information on the Powermodule, including very nice photos.
Old 10/03/2007, 11:12 AM

Did you get yours from ReefGeek too? I like that guy. He really does a good job. Those ATIs look sweet. It is nice to see that they really are concerned about cooling the lamps. My 8 x 48 Aqua-Medic T% array has no cooling at all and the glass gets above 180F.
Old 10/03/2007, 12:41 PM
Team RC Member

Yes, I got it from ReefGeek. Greg is 'da man. Cooling the lamps increases the PAR of T5's tremendously, and this has been proven time and time again in the T5 threads. Every 2 lamps of my ATI fixture have their own dedicated fan, along with a ventilation slot in the side of the fixture. This thing is rock solid and very well-built. The fan speeds are variable and controllable, as well, and fortunately ATI has provided data illustrating the optimal fan speed for the best PAR output. This is fortunately the 2nd slowest speed on the dial, and the fans are almost dead silent at that rate.
Old 10/03/2007, 01:31 PM

That is really cool. I have been looking at a DIY fan for the Aqua-medic, but believe it or not, there is no spare room in the case.