Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by biasegab
So, what do you think about these configurations?
which is the best?

a) 2 large LB on a 4'x 2,3' surface
b) 2 large LB on a 4,5' x 2,3' surface

a) and b) with 400W reeflux bulbs with coralvue e-ballasts, 2' deep

only sps!!!

Gabriele
Hey Gabriele,

It is kind of hard to figure out what you are asking. I know you are converting from the metric system so let's start there.

Please give the dimensions for these tanks in feet like this:

L4ft x W2ft x H3ft - so we can get an idea of which number is associated with width, length and height.

The optimal situation for these reflectors and others would involve a 2x2 ft area as the sides of each coral will be hit by more light. To strech the reflectors out to a 5ft tank or 3ft wide for instance is a compromise. However, looking at Deuce's tank you can see there is a lot of light available and he as well as I have an odd length in our tank. Again, 2ftx2ft placement is optimal to have light hit your coral reducing shaded areas.

Again Gabriele please give clearer description of the tank dimensions and the canopy and I would be happy to give furthur advice.

Jim
Old 11/01/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jim,
thank you for your answer.
I haven't decided the dimensions yet because the tank has to be made! About the canopy, no problems because I don't make it, I'll use only a suspensions kit (fixed to the ceiling) over the tank.

I've just bought two LB large from reefexotics with 2 e-ballasts 400W with reeflux 10k bulbs.

My idea is a tank with these dimensions:

L4,3 ft x W2,3 ft x H2 ft
(L130 x W70 x H60 in cm)

but I've also space to made it a bit more long (140cm that's equal to 4,6 ft)

I think however that the first situation (L4,3 ft) would be better for light coverage with these reflectors (it's near the limit of a 2'x2' area)

what do you think about that?

Gabriele
Old 11/01/2007, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Gabriele,

I would say go with as big as a tank as you can get. Reason being is you will have more water volume which will mean more stability. Maybe not much more but every little bit counts.

A 4.5ft tank should be just fine with 2 Large LumenBrites. When I say compromise you can leave a few inches on each side of your tank and have basically a 2x2 ft area under each reflector to cover. So this is where your light loving coral will go. As you saw in Deuce's example in raising his lights, there "is" light off to the sides. Much more than I was even thinking. In those three inch areas on both sides of the tank you can put some LPS or Softies there.

Because you will not have a canopy - Air Circulation should not be a problem for you as long as the room temperature stays low enough. I would say that raising them to 14 inches over the display would be optimal for your situation and you can certainly raise it a couple more inches.

Hopefully that helps. Happy reefing!
Old 11/01/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

4x4X2 cube tank, one side lumenarc III, one side LumenBright. you guess. Hint i'm ordering another Lumenbright. 400w 20K XM's on M135 ballast.

Old 11/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Man thats a nice tank speedstar!!
Old 11/01/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for posting. Thats exactly the comparison I wanted to see. Thats a huge difference in brightness. Its not so obvious at the bottom though. How do you like the light spread, its very bright in the middle under the LB.

If anyone else can post comparisons like this it really helps the decision making.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

the effective spread is about 3 X 3. at 24inches down. I have the reflector 4.5 inches off water. I was considering going with 1000w bulb 18 inches up centered. but have opt to use 2 reflectors and 400w. I use a t5 single bulb across the back to light the back 4inches up that appear dim in that photo. I just added it yesterday and helps a ton with what wasn't getting covered.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

What is the difference of light between a LB and a Mini? besides the size? would the LB or the Mini be better for a 2' X 2' X 24" range.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

so when you guys say 10" from water to lamp you mean the bulb
not the reflector
Old 11/06/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

When I said 16" from the water line to the lamp, that means to the lamp itself and not the reflector.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Deuce are you selling yours? I thought I saw a few for re-sale already.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Yeah you definitely want to measure from the bottom of the bulb to the surface of the water.

As Deuce and I showed before, 10 inches is just not high enough for either a LAIII or LB on our 5 ft tanks.

drudude - With the tank dimensions you are showing, the mini LB's should be just fine as long as you can raise them to an adequate height. You could go with the big ones if you have enough canopy space but again it is not necessary.

I have my large LumenBrites on its way. I wanted the large ones for my 5 ft x 2ft wide tank after seeing Deuce's tank but also because I would like the more of the coral to be lit up than what I am experiencing with the Lumenarcs.

I will be posting some pics of the tank with the new LumenBrites probably by this weekend.

Last edited by bubbletip2; 11/06/2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cweder
Deuce are you selling yours? I thought I saw a few for re-sale already.
I was looking for a trade but not anymore. All it took was raising them up to get what I wanted.
Old 11/06/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

i have a 155 bow front what do you think
3 LB mins
i have 2 250 cv 12k cv ballast now
but need to get a 3rd light for the center
so if LB min will work i will buy one for the center and start there
Old 11/06/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JACOXVIII
i have a 155 bow front what do you think
3 LB mins
i have 2 250 cv 12k cv ballast now
but need to get a 3rd light for the center
so if LB min will work i will buy one for the center and start there
I think you would be happy with 3 Lumenbrights. Like you said start off with one and go from there. I should be getting mine this weekend. can't wait.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Do any dealers sell the Lumen Bright reflectors in finished pendants, ready to hang? I see SlowCobra posted a list of links to online vendors (page 2), but they all seem to sell unfinished reflectors:

Reef Depot

Reef Exotics

DIYReef

Tom
Old 11/06/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

sub
Old 11/06/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by braid11
Do any dealers sell the Lumen Bright reflectors in finished pendants, ready to hang? I see SlowCobra posted a list of links to online vendors (page 2), but they all seem to sell unfinished reflectors:

Reef Depot

Reef Exotics

DIYReef

Tom
Reef Specialty
Old 11/06/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce67
I was looking for a trade but not anymore. All it took was raising them up to get what I wanted.
Thanks for the compliment on my tank above. Also what di you ebd up with for a sweet spot for hieght above water. My structure is very low in the tank and is 6 inches in all the way around except for the back in my 4X4 cube. My bulbs are 9inches off water running 2 LB's & 400w. Seems good to the eye perhaps not a par meter, so i am considering raising them abit but the corals in the sweet spot right now are loving the light.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

So far, everything is doing well when I placed the bulb at 16" above the water.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

I am going to place mine 14-16 inches off of the water surface. I think I will make an adjustable mounting bracket for my Lumen Bright reflectors, this way I can change the height at will.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Still waiting for these to be available in a complete package for DE bulbs.

I am not convinced these are much better than the lumenarcs. Since you have to raise them so much are'nt you ending up at almost the same amount of light? It seems that Hahn's description of a beem of light like a flash bulb is holding true. Those of you that have owned both please chime in with your thoughts after having them a while. Thanks
Old 11/09/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cweder
Still waiting for these to be available in a complete package for DE bulbs.

I am not convinced these are much better than the lumenarcs. Since you have to raise them so much are'nt you ending up at almost the same amount of light? It seems that Hahn's description of a beem of light like a flash bulb is holding true. Those of you that have owned both please chime in with your thoughts after having them a while. Thanks
You are hardly ending up with the same amount of light. These reflectors are like no other. Mike "acroporanut" just placed the large Lumen Bright reflectors over his tank and the floor of his tank just lit up even more than before. Overhangs that had shadows with the lumenarc are now provided with light. I was simply amazed. I would suggest that people with 30" wide tanks and wider to use the large Lumen Brights as they really do have a greater overall spread for wider tanks. Mikes tank looks brighter and more realistic with his new reflector. It is hard to believe a perfect tank could get any better, but it has and his corals will be the proof.

I also bought a set of Three lumenbright reflectors from Mike. I believe they are the best possible reflector for my tank. I can't wait to get them up and provide everyone with the proof. I am so happy I GOT MY LASER BEAMS!
Old 11/09/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

hey guys here is my Lumen Brights with iwasaki 175W'ers on a 55x24x24. I'm going to be putting a third in there just to get rid of some of the dim areas. Granted i could lighten some of those areas up by raising them off the water, but with the 175's I'm thinking 3 across would be better than raising. Either way I love them so far. Still waiting to get a PAR meter to get some readings from these bulbs....which btw are awesome! and would recommend if you are in the 175 range. Oh yeah and the bulbs are about 6-8" off water.

Old 11/09/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

glxtrix: those 175s look like 250s. How far off of the water are you? You don't seem to loose much at all with the 400s when you rise them. So far your the first I know of using these reflectors with 175, so you are a sorta ginea pig, as for I with the 250s.

I should be able to get some ideas of height and optimal spread this weekend when I place the canopy above my tank.