Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drudude
bubbletip,
Im going to be doing a build thread in the large tank section. Im just doing a lot of reserch. i just found a thread with the 175W Iswasaki they look fantasic but i dont think they make the color pop like the 12k reeflux so thats the way im starting to sway. ofcourse there is the heat issue aswell. Im really trying to stay away from a chiller and the 175w Iswasaki with icecap ballast is looking like a winner.

OHHH THE DESISIONSSSSSS!!!!!!
My 180 heat test showed a 2 degree difference with the lights running without fans. With the fans on it did not change at all. This is with running 3 250s for 9 hours with the room temp at 80 degrees. This is one of the great advantages of these reflectors. The heat has time to disapate before it heats the surface of the water. I thought I would have to purchase a chiller for my tank with the pumps I am running with the addition of the lights but it is the total opposite.
Old 11/18/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

im actully planning on running a really large sump or even just a tank with water in it that the system runs through, or both. you think i would be able to get away from having to run fans? (trying to avoid evaporation)
Old 11/18/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Evaporation is one of the easiest and cheapest ways of cooling a tank.
Old 11/18/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Well now that I am a proud and happy owner of the Lumenbrights (Thanks Mike ) I figured I would post my results..

WOW....without any tweaking of positioning the reflectors and just hanging them, I can see a big difference between these and those other ones...what are they called??????

I am running Coralvue 250w ballasts with 12k reeflux. The color is more crisp with a tiny hint of blue now. Before with these bulbs, you could easily see the blue more. I believe this new spectrum of light is more natural and appealing to the eye. I like the look much better.

I have coverage over the entire tank with the exception of the back corners. Again, I have not played with positioning yet and have the reflectors 3" apart. I imagine if I move them out another inch or so, those back corners will be lit up perfectly.

I am pleased with the purchase and would recommend these to anyone looking to keep light in the tank and on the corals where it is meant to be. The other ones would put light on the back wall about 8"-10" from the top of the tank and when opening the canopy doors, you would be blinded. Now, I might have 2" of light spilling out on the wall and can look into the canopy opening without issue.

If you have not purchased these yet, your corals and you are missing out. Give Mike a call, shoot him an email and get your order in today. Why make your livestock wait any longer????

http://reefspecialty.com/

Thanks Mike. Thanks also to JRaquatics and Bubbletip2 for sharing your experience and pictures.

Todd
Old 11/18/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm waiting until I can get them in some pendants if ever.
Old 11/18/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Hi poppy 828,

Could you PLEASE post some pics with just the MH lights on i would love to see what they look like. I am really starting to agree that the color is worth the extra money.

How is the heat?
Old 11/18/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I am having some skimmer issues right now. Looks like I have a crack in the body of my G3 where the pump inlet is, so I have micro bubbles up the you kow what in the tank...pictures would not be worth anything right now. Once I figure this issue out, I will get some pics. Give me some time though.....

They have only been on for 2 hours so heat is not an issue right now. Doubt that it will be an issue though. Temp has only gone up 1/2 degree in 2 hours.
Old 11/18/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

does anyone have pics of reflux 12k without the blue background. (mikes tank). black background would be ideal. i am trying to compair it with the iswasaki 14k 175w.

Does the 250w reeflux 12k bulb make the coral floresant? (sp)
Old 11/18/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Drdude...I took some pics...downloading now....I suck by the way so don't expect anything special.......
Old 11/18/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Before....

After....

I am not a photographer and don't claim to be. I am sure someone in the know can take much better pics than this. This will give you an idea though at least.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks poppy, i thought that the 12k was way more rich in color by my fiance just said that it could be the blue backgorund that makes it look like more of a contrast. what you think.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

wow... thats crazy differernt....
Old 11/18/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I have a black background on my tank...I am sure the settings on my camera are not perfect either. I am new to the photo stuff and the rebel XTi has many many settings I am unfamiliar with...

There is a defenite difference in the contrast between Mikes Blue and my black. He is also running 400w as opposed to my 250w so that may be a factor as well.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

ya thats what i am looking at now, the light is very natural but i dont know if there is much difference between the 250w reeflux 12k and the iswasaki 175w 14k with the similar black background.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3

The first pic on the page is what i was using as a refernce point.

The LB are amazing, it is the only reflector i would use from what i have seen
Old 11/18/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Well my pic may be skewing that for you. It looks a little washed out and in person looks a bit more natural if you will. It's bright for sure as you can see. I wish I was better with the camera so you could get a better view of it. Sorry for that. Where's Jim when you need him.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Drdude,

also remember I am having some micro bubble issues right now as well as the water being stirred up. I had to go fish hunting and stirred up the sand bed a bit. I imagine that is causing some issues with the light color/brightness also.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

alright cool, thanks poppy, still looks good, thanks for your help.
the LB are amazing with the focus they produce.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Wish the tank was not acting up right now to get some better pics. Oh well. Maybe once I get a real skimmer...hint hint Mike I will start getting on track with better water quality and less headache from inferior products. Have the lighting taken care of now which you can see, just need to get a skimmer and some water flow.
Old 11/18/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Poppy, that is a crazy difference. You fish are going to need shades.
Old 11/18/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

It is a defenite difference. I bet it is much brighter without the micro bubbles and sand stirring. I did notice that my encrusting monti with a purple rim, seems more purple today. Deeper purple. Looks nice. Much better in person
Old 11/18/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Poppy828
It is a defenite difference. I bet it is much brighter without the micro bubbles and sand stirring. I did notice that my encrusting monti with a purple rim, seems more purple today. Deeper purple. Looks nice. Much better in person
The purple coloration is just from the bulbs color. wait until the corals actually change colors. Mikes frags that he gets always seem to morf into some really intense colors after some time under his lights.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Well my pic may be skewing that for you. It looks a little washed out and in person looks a bit more natural if you will. It's bright for sure as you can see. I wish I was better with the camera so you could get a better view of it. Sorry for that. Where's Jim when you need him.
You mean something like this Todd

This mille has four colors and maybe more - it has peach, pink, blue and possibly purple, and green tips - gorgeous. Mike was generous enough to give me a piece of this beauty. Thanks Mike!

And this Teal Table Acro was cut in half from the TOTM. Mike was able to spare a piece of this for me too. You think?

This beautiful Red Mille is at 840 underneath a salt crusted brace. Beautiful coral also and Mike gave me a big chunk of this. I had wanted a piece of this since I first saw Mike's tank. This Mille is feeding in this shot. It looks like sap that came out of the coral 5 minutes after Mike fed the tank. This is just one of many coral in Mike's tank that displays this behavior.

I love this shot. This purple acro is at 392 half way down in the tank with the whole top of the pillar shading the back side of the reflector. Gorgeous coral.

Well here are some good examples of coral receiving this type of laser beam light and thriving. The coral in Mike's tank has really colored up since the TOTM. Still the pictures don't do the tank any justice when you see it in person.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Anxious to get this stuff going that's for sure. His tank is awesome. I could stare at that thing for hours and hours and not get bored.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Jim,

You need to come give me some lessons. Those pics are awesome. Granted, Mikes tank looking so nice helps, but your skills to capture the beauty of his tank are pretty damn good.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Jim,

You need to come give me some lessons. Those pics are awesome. Granted, Mikes tank looking so nice helps, but your skills to capture the beauty of his tank are pretty damn good.
I couldn't agree more that Mike's tank has many photo opportunities. It is definitely my favorite tank to shoot. Thanks for the complement Todd! If I ever make it over I can show you a few tricks on your XTi. I have an XTi also, so I know it well. So just curious in that you have seen Mike's tank a couple times. What do you think of the color of the pics in comparison to what you actually see?

These LumenBrights seem to help quite a bit. If I can speak for you Mike it seems your tank is doing better than ever.