Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 11:15 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

Skimmer Flowing Over

I've had this skimmer in place for almost a year - Euroreef - forget the model but its for 250 Gallons or so. Has a gate valve and two sedra pumps.

Anyway, all of the sudden this week its skimmer very wet and overflowing in an hour. Tonight the water is almost clear. Figured its the gate valvle but I think I have it at the one extreme, to skim the darkest.

Any ideas as to why all of the sudden the skimming level would change so drastically?

Oh, the cup holds 6 cups of water. IN a day I normally get 2 cups of dark skimmate.
Old 08/22/2007, 06:56 AM
One Good Friend

Sounds like you need to take it down for a good cleaning. Unless you've added a new piece of equipment or have dosed with something different since this began. A venturi could be clogged.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:49 AM

I actually cleaned it not too long ago....but the venturi's maybe one is clogged? that would result in this type of behaviour?
Old 08/22/2007, 08:39 AM
One Good Friend

Yea, if your venturi is clogged this could be happening. Is the water in your sump at teh same depth as usual. If its to high this will happen as well.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Most likely you have a venturi that is clogged with some salt creep. If one of the venturis were blocked/clogged, the pump would be pushing a lot of water instead of a mix of water/air. This would raise the internal water level, leading to it overflowing. So, I'd pull both pumps out, pop off the airline tubing, and take a small drill bit and clear out the venturi. Make sure you don't make the holes any bigger or anything; you just want to free up the path for the air to flow through. Also, I'd soak the tubes in some vinegar and rinse them with RO/DI water. This will make sure you're getting maximum airflow into the pumps/skimmer.

-Joe
Old 08/22/2007, 09:15 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

sometimes i have even warmed rodi water in a coffe cup in the microwave for like 45 seconds and stuck my airline tubing in the warm water this helps to free up salt creep for me as well. i usually do this once a month.
Old 08/22/2007, 12:41 PM
Moved On

As part of your regular weekly routine, do you pour hot water down the air hose to melt any salt creep or calcium buildup inside the venturi? This helps greatly.
Old 08/22/2007, 05:33 PM

ok, these are all great suggestions. i dont do any of this. just when I service the pumps every 6-8 months. And, on occasion, I do blow air down the tubes simply by sticking the end of the tube in my mouth while its running.

But, it sounds like not enough air will cause too much water. ok, let me try these....