Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2005, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Green vs Blue vs Purple Chromis

Howdee

I am setting up a new 75 and I am planning to have a small
school of chromis (5-7) as fishy inhabitants.

I am familiar with the green chromis and its generally mellow nature but I have recently seen blue and purple chromis offered as well.

My question is whether these other chromises (chromisi ? )
share the temperment of the greens or whether they are
more/less aggressive. Has anyone tried to keep them in schools?

Ive kept a mixed damsel tank in the past and I know just how 'evil' they can get!

Jim
Old 09/14/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member.

can you post a link for purple chromis as i have never seen any.

i had a school of green chromis in my 90 and they did good. im putting a school of 10 green chromis in a 100 and they should do well also and they dont get anywhere as evil as most damsels. from what i have seen they like to school with other fish and are very social the ones in my 90 schooled with a pj cardinal and a banghai cardinal and 2 anthias made for a nice big old melting pot in the middle of the tank
Old 09/14/2005, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

The links Ive found have mostly been from retailers. They all indicate that they are peaceful but I was curious to know if anyone had any firsthand experience.

Heres a few:

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...41&pCatId=1322
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-fish/Purple-Chromis.html
http://core.ecu.edu/biol/nortons/NCF...eReeffish.html
Old 09/14/2005, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Both Scott's (I'm assuming the purple chromis you're alluding to is C. scotti) and the atlantic Blue Chromis are larger, more aggressive fish than the Green Chromis.

None of them typically do well in schools long-term in anything but the largest of aquariums, but the Green is your best bet if you'd like to try to beat the odds. Personally speaking, I wouldn't try a Green Chromis school in a 75G.
Old 09/14/2005, 06:17 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Quote:
None of them typically do well in schools long-term in anything but the largest of aquariums, but the Green is your best bet if you'd like to try to beat the odds. Personally speaking, I wouldn't try a Green Chromis school in a 75G.
Dave has a good point, I have tried keeping blue green chromis schools and always end up with a mated pair and my tank is a 180. I think you could keep a pair of blue green's in a 75. There are over 80 species of chromis alone but only a few of these are regularly imported. Some better chromis for small schools include; the black bar chromis (Chromis retrofasciata), the barrier reef chromis (Chromis nitida), and Vanderbilt's chromis (Chromis vanderbilti). All of these are mellower than the Caribbean chromis or most of the commly imported Indo pac species and are starting to turn up in the trade. HTH
Old 09/14/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Never even heard of purple chromis til now.
Old 09/14/2005, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: Some better chromis for small schools include; the black bar chromis (Chromis retrofasciata)...

Just to put in my $0.02/experience - I had 7 black bar chromis and they did not school at all. They were quite agressive to each other (attacking going on in quarantine, had to separate). But since there was enough rockwork in the main tank - each found its own territory. Granted they are quite small so you can have more - they didn't school at all. I gave three away and now I have 4 in my 90g. They each have their separate areas and chase each other if they get too close. I've had them about 9 months now.

I was/am bummed they didn't school, shoal, or are peaceful with each other. I am thinking I should have tried Vanderbilt chromis! :-)
Old 09/15/2005, 05:50 AM
Registered Member.

i had a school of greens and i had never heard of purples. i have seen blues but individuals nothing in a school. i would say go with green chromis and throw in an anthias. or 2 3 chromis and 2 anthias is what i have seen recently and they all hang together in the front middle of a 75.
Old 09/15/2005, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

I tell you what made my mind up. Petsolutions sells the green for $3.50 ea
Old 09/15/2005, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys! This was helpful.

Most of the hobby literature recommends that greens be kept
ONLY in schools but your experience does not seem to bear that out.

Very interesting.
Old 09/15/2005, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Be careful with the chromis as everyone here has said. I had them for a loooong time and when they are small they're fine. Afterwards they get big and fat and begin to "claim" portions of the tank and become defensive. Stick with a small school of anthias such as squampinnis or bartletts and you should do fine.