Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Trigger System TS300 Protein Skimmer

Hi everyone,

Man I am on this site day and night, love it. Anyway on to my questions.

First I am building a 150 gal. reef tank and wanted to know what the best way to set the sump up. Refugium style with protein skimmer? And would probably go with the Trigger TS36BR sump. Here is a link to there site.
Trigger TS36BR Sump

should I be thinking of doing a closed loop system with this or just the sump with a return pump like a Sequence reeflow to return the water through four 3/4" returns into the tank and a 1.5" drain into the sump.

Please help me with some ideas as I thought that I was ready to go and now don't have a clue which way to go.

Thanks for any and all help guy's,
Flying53brian
Old 01/03/2008, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

Oh Well, Screw it!
Old 01/03/2008, 04:19 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Comments like that will guarantee you a short stay here on a family-friendly board.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 01/03/2008, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Both are closed cloops. Not quite sure what your question is...
Old 01/03/2008, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Flying53,

Lots of great people and ideas on this site,but please let them respond to your question.
The holidays just ended,and it may take some time to get back to the comp.

Im in the process of setting up my system also,so i will wait awhile for answers to your question.Just be patient.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Re: Trigger System TS300 Protein Skimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by flying53brian
Hi everyone,

Man I am on this site day and night, love it. Anyway on to my questions.

First I am building a 150 gal. reef tank and wanted to know what the best way to set the sump up. Refugium style with protein skimmer? And would probably go with the Trigger TS36BR sump. Here is a link to there site.
Trigger TS36BR Sump

should I be thinking of doing a closed loop system with this or just the sump with a return pump like a Sequence reeflow to return the water through four 3/4" returns into the tank and a 1.5" drain into the sump.

Please help me with some ideas as I thought that I was ready to go and now don't have a clue which way to go.

Thanks for any and all help guy's,
Flying53brian
I'm not too sure about your first question, ideally it would be best to have both a skimmer and a refuge. As for your closed loop question IMO I would not rely on your return pump for flow. If you try and use the return pump as a source of flow you will have problems. You really want a slower flow through your sump so the skimmer and refuge can do what they are suppose to do. Use the head-loss calculator on the home page and try and balance the return pump with the flow rate of your overflows (ie if the overflow(s) can handle 1200 gal per hour try and match a pump, with head loss depending on your plumbing, that will deliver 1200 gal per hour or slightly less). I'm not a big fan of closed loops, but they work well. If it was my tank I would look at some of the power head options like tunze or vortech for additional flow. Hope that helps.
(Click my Red House)
Old 01/03/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Cool Sorry

I just saw the reply made under my login and I must apologize for my son, I am always logged into this site and he must have placed this reply, once again I am sorry for his remarks.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 01/03/2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Trigger Skimmer? Thoughts

Thanks for trying to understand my question guy's as it may not have been very clear.

Just was trying to determine whether or not to go CL or not. You kinda answered my question to that lvpd186. Also has anyone heard of or used the Trigger protein skimmer?

Thanks for the replys,
flying53brian
Old 01/04/2008, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

I have seen one person with the trigger system, the skimmers and the sumps are built well and if you like RED these are for you. The skimmers are Beckett Design, work good, but use more power and require a good presure rated pump.The sumps are built with great craftmenship and they have all in one sumps. You get the fuge you want, the place for the protein skimmer, probe holders, and media area. I am person who does his own sumps, but I like the work, coming from trigger