Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 02:13 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

CO2 tank and new Calcium reactor

I have a new Geo Reactor and also a 10# co2 tank. I have all brand new equipment but 1 or 2 times I noticed my CO2 tank was very cold and ice was forming around the Milwaukee guages. Also, the water in the vial was all gone....the reactor was at 6.5 ph but no water was coming out of the effuluent until I shut the tank off. What does this mean? The tank is stored in the basement and last nite it was cold out but I figure it has to do with the CO2 itself vs being cold out...any help???
Old 01/01/2008, 02:14 PM
secretary of NCPARS

how many BPM are you trying to add in co2.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:16 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by rigleautomotive
how many BPM are you trying to add in co2.
I beleive it was dialed in at about 1 a second....
Old 01/01/2008, 02:21 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

It may have been more, maybe I am releasing too much CO2?
Old 01/01/2008, 02:26 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i would try to back off on the CO2.i have never had that happen and i keep my tank in the cellar also.i run my effluent at 6.8.most medias will start to break down at even higher than that.when i push my reactor too hard i get negative results,but never icing.i would think you are pushing too much CO2.reactors,unfortunately are not set and forget,IMO,they require attention daily until you find the sweet spot.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

that what mine did last night after installing it. i found the nut that screws on the tank was loose and leaking.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:47 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by rigleautomotive
i would try to back off on the CO2.i have never had that happen and i keep my tank in the cellar also.i run my effluent at 6.8.most medias will start to break down at even higher than that.when i push my reactor too hard i get negative results,but never icing.i would think you are pushing too much CO2.reactors,unfortunately are not set and forget,IMO,they require attention daily until you find the sweet spot.
ok i will try to back off on the co2....i think that may be it....its definitely freaky when you walk down and ice is all over the guages....i will also see about leaks.....because its all over the guages etc
Old 01/01/2008, 03:53 PM
Limestone cowboy

I would also not fill the milwaukee bubble counter vial with liquid, Use the bubblecounter on the GEO. The milwaukee is notorious for doing that, and ruining the solinoid.
The better ones have a built in check valve on the solinoid.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:15 PM

Is your cylinder laying down? This will cause your regulator to "ice" up because liquid CO2 will reach the top of the bottle when tipped.

Also, the effluent clog that you're experiencing might be due to the CO2 regulator getting clogged (due to freezing) It creates a "vacuum effect" in the Ca Reactor, which in turn stops the effluent drip.

What pump are you using to supply water into the Ca reactor? If you are using plain gravity feed, then this could be the reason why as it is known to be unreliable. My preference would be to tee off of the return pump, use a peristaltic pump, or an Aqua Lifter pump.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:20 PM

Re: CO2 tank and new Calcium reactor

Quote:
Originally posted by BRISK495
Also, the water in the vial was all gone....
-check for bubble counter leaks
-is the rubber O-ring there? Is it seated properly?

Other than those, the bubble counter liquid SHOULD NOT evaporate. (An exception would be if your solenoid is heating it up..)

I would also use Glycerin for the bubble counter and not plain water. It has higher viscosity as well..
Old 01/01/2008, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

I good starting point for your GEO is 30 BPM for co2 and about 50-60 lpm on the effluent, this shoud give you a reactor PH of around 6.8. I run both the 612 and the 618 and that is how I started them both.

Do not use the Milwaukee bubble counter, use the GEO counter it works great, and no Glycerin is required with the GEO bubble counter it is self filling, these reacors are set it and forget once you get them dialed in.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:59 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
I would also not fill the milwaukee bubble counter vial with liquid, Use the bubblecounter on the GEO. The milwaukee is notorious for doing that, and ruining the solinoid.
The better ones have a built in check valve on the solinoid.
ok, so you use the bubble counter on the reactor? interesting, i will try using that more...
Old 01/01/2008, 07:03 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
Is your cylinder laying down? This will cause your regulator to "ice" up because liquid CO2 will reach the top of the bottle when tipped.

Also, the effluent clog that you're experiencing might be due to the CO2 regulator getting clogged (due to freezing) It creates a "vacuum effect" in the Ca Reactor, which in turn stops the effluent drip.

What pump are you using to supply water into the Ca reactor? If you are using plain gravity feed, then this could be the reason why as it is known to be unreliable. My preference would be to tee off of the return pump, use a peristaltic pump, or an Aqua Lifter pump.

my cy,liner is actually staning up straight....I am usin an Eheim pump for recirculation....right now i am using a maxijet 1200 for pushing water to the reactor
Old 01/01/2008, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

let us know how the changes worked, maxi jet is great for the feed to the reactor. If you can find yourselve a plastic graduated cylinder this is the most accurate for measuring effluent.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:14 PM
Limestone cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by BRISK495
ok, so you use the bubble counter on the reactor? interesting, i will try using that more...
Yes after ruining a solinoid on the milwaukee i had i dont bother filling it. Its fine dry to keep dry, I just use the one supplied by my GEO reactor. Well not so much now that i have my profilux controlling my co2 in my reactor.