Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 03:53 PM
Got Salt!

What other anthias can co exist with Bartlets?

What other species of anthias is a good mix with a duo of batlets in a 180?
Old 08/13/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

In my experience I would just get more bartlett's my male Bartlett's killed 5 Dispars and a Carberries anthias and he harasses every other fish in my 220gal. But thats just my male he is a total terror.
Old 08/13/2007, 07:02 PM
Got Salt!

Thanks for the information!
Old 08/14/2007, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

dispars, bartletts, loris and sometimes cranberry all school together in the wild. however, these are in HUGE HUGE schools. Usually bartletts and dispars will school nicely together. There are always the exceptions as mentioned above. There is a good thread about bartletts and how they are all turning to males in captivity... i dont know where it is, but a quick search will probably find it.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:14 AM
Premium Member

None. As anydarnthing said a SUPER dominant male will harass most other species to death in the confines of our tanks. I defineatly have the same opinion of dispar. My male is a terror!

Something that might work well could be some of the bigger bottom dwelling species like Odontanthias borbonius if you could manage to locate one. You would defineatly need to find something that does not occupy the upper water column.

Carl
Old 08/14/2007, 08:00 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

In a 180g, maybe a larger species like lyretail would also work....

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/14/2007, 11:27 AM
Got Salt!

Thanks guys, I had a chance to get some great deals on some anthias species through a reef club special, but I just got my electrical bil! Ouch! Ill spend the day reducing metal halide photo periods and up the set point on the chiller a bit.....so no anthias order for me lol....thanks agen for the input much apprieciated!
Old 08/16/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Roy i only run my MH for 4 hour a day in the hot summer time
to keep Th tank from over heating. I cant see a lot of effect on my coral or fish. i run my VHO the full 12 hours each day

You can find me with the little red house
Old 08/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Got Salt!

Thanks Jerry...I just bumped mine down to seven hours...I think that I will continue to widdle that down a bit.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Man, I didn't know barletts were terror, they look so good and are hardy. What do you think of bicolor anthias? I currently keep 2 lyretails and one that looks like lyretail but with a red bar in the middle.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I also wanted to get bicolor anthias but they told me they grow rather large, but there is another specie called Hawaian bicolor anthias, how large hardy or agresive are those?
Old 08/17/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I also wanted to get bicolor anthias but they told me they grow rather large, but there is another specie called Hawaian bicolor anthias, how large hardy or agresive are those?
Old 08/18/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Hawaiian Bi-colors in groups of 4 or more isn't bad but when I first got them I only had 3 and they were just a bunch of jerks, but when I added 3 more they all calmed down towards other fish. I know they get big my male was a little bigger then 5".
Old 08/18/2007, 09:53 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Angel*fish had a bicolor that she had to remove because it was to aggressive to her other anthias, and even other fish, IIRC...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/20/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Ok since I want my school of anthias, I went to the LFS today and they had just received new fish.

I bought 2 anthias, but they didn't have the information of which anthias they were, the colors had faded due to the shipping stress and were white, but one of them had a slightly better coloration and I belive they are either barlett's or bicolor anthias, the body seems orangish and the top fin looked purple.

The size is about 1.5" they're small. Asuming they're bicolor anthias how larger could they get in my 175 gal?. I know they get to 5" normally, but wouldn't they remain a bit smaller in a 175gal. If they get bigger than 3" they would look odd for my school...