Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Superman

At first I got this frag it had fairly nice red polyps.. (stilll not as nice as the bright red polyps I have seen in some photos)

I think it is Maricultured so don't know the lineage or maybe not be a famous one.

My complain is that the polyps are sort of brownish and transparent. It grew from a coin size to a fist size in 6 months..

Can you tell me about the different variations of the superman monti out there?
Old 12/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

There are a number of wholesalers that are bringing in maricultured encrusting Montis that have some shade of blue/red that they label as 'Superman' when in fact that are just that, some shade of blue/red that invariably washes out in time like most wild SPS do. It is a shame that most LFS simply see these on their lists and list them in the store as such, with inflated prices.

I assure you that if you find the real deal, the price will not be cheap.

Here is a pic of mine that I have had for a while. I did and do have the line documented, so if I ever decide to sell some, I can help the buyer feel secure.

All of that being said, if you liek what you have, that is what is important. Just make sure you are not paying 'superman' prices for a $15 encrusting Monti.

Bobby
Old 12/25/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saldarya
There are a number of wholesalers that are bringing in maricultured encrusting Montis that have some shade of blue/red that they label as 'Superman' when in fact that are just that, some shade of blue/red that invariably washes out in time like most wild SPS do. It is a shame that most LFS simply see these on their lists and list them in the store as such, with inflated prices.

I assure you that if you find the real deal, the price will not be cheap.

Here is a pic of mine that I have had for a while. I did and do have the line documented, so if I ever decide to sell some, I can help the buyer feel secure.

All of that being said, if you liek what you have, that is what is important. Just make sure you are not paying 'superman' prices for a $15 encrusting Monti.

Bobby
word. here's mine

however, if you are a collector, you want to make sure you get the "original superman". Peronally, i have seem at least 4 different "superman s ", but probably the most expansive one would be the original superman.

IMO, as long as it's something you like, then who cares
Old 12/25/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

all corals were wild at sometime even the superman. the ones being maricultured may not be able to hold it's color as well but it's still the same coral just not adapted to captivity. if you have the husbandry skills and the patience i'm sure you can get the maricultured pieces to regain their color. someone had to do it when the lineage of the "original" superman began.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Here is mine and I have improved my params by quite a bit now.. the idaho grape above it is a good indicator as it would brown very easily in nutrients, now it's very purple. But the superman color hasn't changed a bit.. maybe it needs much more light I am not sure.

So here is a pic of my superman I was told it was maricultured would it ever color up or should I just pay more and get a reputable strain, it is the fastest growing monti I have and taking up alot of space.