Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/27/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

I see. Great thoery....
Old 01/28/2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

It finally open a little more, I bought some Mysis Shrimp and they loved it...

OPEN WIDE!!

Round ONE, EAT!!

Round TWO, EAT!!

These picture are taking under flashed only.
Old 01/31/2006, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

So what do you think guys?
Old 01/31/2006, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

They look nice,I finally got mine to open but its kinda pain to feed them.
Old 01/31/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

How can that be a pain? That's the best part, see them suck in the shrimp is cool...
Old 02/01/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

I had mine in a cave and it was a tight fight and it was hard to reach a few of them in the back.I have since re-did my rocks which will make it easier to feed them.Its also really cool watching them feed,they swallow the food and open up right away for 2nds
Old 02/01/2006, 04:01 AM
Registered Member

yup, i witness mine. For my Sun Corals, I didn't care if I have a cave or not, as long as it open and easy for me to feed then it's perfect. Don't be stress out by placing where you can't reach it, sooner later on you will hate the corals and neglect them.
Old 02/01/2006, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

You have a point there,I've been getting to them every other day though.I have feed them plankton and also some pellet food that they seemed to like.I'm gonna that coral recipe and see if they like that.
Old 02/01/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

great... mysis are the best imo.
Old 02/03/2006, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

I have some good news about my Sun Corals guys. They open more now and not that's not all... They open during lighting period, why because I feed at 23:00. The Sun Corals is now of course, in my main tank and the lighting period are 20:00-00:00HR. I feed my main tank at 23:00, which the Sun Corals get a sense. After 15 minutes, I feed the Sun Corals with the pump on at 23:15. The Sun Corals have open more wide than before. I seen more Tentecles now. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciated. I will post some pictures this weekend.
Old 02/05/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Okay guys, here in my Sun Corals. Thanks for all the help and now my corals open upder a 24watts 50/50 lighting.

They are usually open more, this picture was taking while they having sense of food. I'll try post up the night visual picture when I have time.
Old 02/19/2006, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Here is the shot I promise you guys... This is a shot with flash on at night time during lighting period off. So what do you think?

Hi! Peeka Boo Sun Corals!! I SEE YOU!!!
Old 07/15/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Sup guys, check this out. This the best photo i got for now.
Old 07/16/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you feed it everyday, some of the flesh seems to have gone from between the polyps.
Old 07/16/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Yea.
Old 07/16/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Yea.... I notice
Old 07/16/2006, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Well, I can't really feed everyday, but if you would like to help me out on feeding, heres a seperate thread at Nano-reef, or you can help me here if you're not registered there. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...T&f=21&t=92456
Old 07/17/2006, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I read your thread there as well, the advice you got there is good in order to lower nitrates. I wash any frozen foods, be it mysis, brineshrimp or silversides in tank water (save a large bottle-full at water change time) the ice contains alot of nitrates and phosphates that just pollute your water. The suncoral will sense the mysis themselves so you dont need to worry. If you want them to fully open before you feed just hang the net full of mysis in the water where there is flow and the coral will open up, then you can feed it. You really do need to start feeding more often than you are or the coral will waste away.
Good luck!
Old 07/17/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

i know... Thanks... Great tips. How much of cubes do i feed daily?
Old 07/18/2006, 05:57 PM
Moved On

daily feeding is the only way to keep ths coral going.. I dont think they're worth the trouble personally because they are usually not even open..
Old 07/18/2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

What do you mean usually not open? I'm confuse. My Sun corals open certain time. FEEDING TIME. Why would you say that? why would you say don't think they're worth the trouble?
Old 07/18/2006, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

They can be trained to open based on your feeding schedule. My sun is fully open from about 5-7pm until about 7am every day. Every other day feedings should be fine also.
You may want to consider making some food yourself. Get a few ounces of shrimp, clam, mussel, squid or whatever other fresh seafood they have. Blend it very fine and freeze it. I mixed in some selcon , zoecon and garlic. I just thaw a little chunk every other day, thaw in some water and feed it with a syringe under a cup. The sun LOVES it and everything else in the tank goes crazy for the leftovers after i take the cup off after a few hours. Only costs about 5 bucks for a few months worth.
Old 07/18/2006, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

WOW, nice... Thanks for the tips... I like that Idea.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Omg, I love this forum. I just bought what I think is also a sun coral from an LFS here. (It's a magenta color, rather than the usual orange color I see on English forums though). Only they never explained how I should feed it. It wouldn't open even when I tried putting Marine Snow in the tank. So I tried what people recommended here, put it in a separate container and threw red worms (these are called "red bugs" in Japanese) at it and force fed some of the polyps. Soon it was eating well and stayed open once I put it in the tank. Here is a pic of it in the tank:

(It's actually more of a magenta color, but my camera phone caught some of the glare and my MH was already off for the night)

Thanks guys! I hope it will open up even more as I move along. It already looks better than it did at the store and I thought it was really pretty there as well. They told me it wasn't hard to feed, but that they hadn't really been feeding it.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Sangogo, Congratuation on your new coral, but I think you should be more experience on these Sun coral. Anyways, I think you can do a very good job feeding it, all you need to do is feeding it every other day with 2 cubes minimum to 3.

Well, it's kind of funny how you bought your SC and didn't really sure off it. That's a big mistake because what if you would bought the wrong coral or you know... Always prepare before buying a coral. Must have lot's of research before purchasing it.

I myself knew the constant feeding with this coral and it's really hard to take care of it. Though it isn't, just feed it, keep your parameter at corrective level and you be fine.

Heres what I think you should do with your SC. You should try some Mysis Shrimp with cyclop-eeze. First thaw the cube of food and pour the juice of the mysis in the tank, not meat. Wait 15minutes and shut off your pumps. Wait for another 15minute and they should be open. Use a turkey baster, or what every can shoot food directly to the polyps. Make sure you feed every polyps because each of them are individual, they are not together. ONE MORE THING, have a feeding schedule, that's when you train them to open up. Soon give them about few feeding time, they will get into the schedule and feed.

Let us know how your SC doing and I'm willing to help.